I am new to the forum and very new to the computer modding game. I wanted to take an opportunity to share my first ever mod and get some feedback (good or bad) from the community.
Bear in mind, when I started this mod, I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but knew nothing about where to start tor how to do it . . . Google and YouTube are a wonderful thing.
My mod was completed with basic (very basic) tools jig saw, drill, exacto knife and spray paint. So please do dont expect a truly professional polish as this in an amateur attempt. To date, I have completed the case only (exterior and interior). Now that I have my build components, I have begun working on the interior cable sleeving, component mods etc. (will update as I go along). Components going into the computer will be:
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X79
CPU: Intel i7 3820
GPU: Zotac 660Ti
PSU: Corsair AX850
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (Olive Green) 16GB
Cooling: Corsair H80i
SSD: Adata 512GB
HD: WD 1TB
Fans: BitFenix Spectre LED (red) x 4 (in addition to the 2 existing Corsair white LED)
Fan Controller: BitFenix Hydra Pro
While new and shiny mods are very spectacular to the eye and seem to be the norm in the modding world, I wanted to push things a bit outside the ordinary and do something a bit more worn and used looking. Being a fan of all things zombie and a gamer of apocalyptic and military themed games, I wanted a computer that matched my interest. So I went about designing a mod that looked like a military radio which had seen service in a global war, survived and had been repurposed in a post-apocalyptic world. I decided to go with the Corsair Carbide 400R as the start point.
Using my limited knowledge, I added a window (gave it an armoured look heavy bolts), altered the bezel to look like communication equipment with speaker openings disguising the two existing fans. I added a top control box to give it an appearance of having been re-purposed later on in its life. I also added a cover plate for the top grill (plexi-glass skulls cut out using a jig saw going to mount two red led fans below). The whole thing was painted and aged (aluminum brushing for wear, rubbing with ash to darken and age everything sealed with a clear finish). The camouflage netting was individually glued to each side and top decals were applied to give it a used look. Here a few pics of the completed exterior.
I will follow-up with a bit of detail on how it got to its current state in a subsequent post.