Thread: Post Apocalyptic Mod

Post Apocalyptic Mod

Hello,

I am new to the forum and very new to the computer modding game. I wanted to take an opportunity to share my first ever mod and get some feedback (good or bad) from the community.

Bear in mind, when I started this mod, I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but knew nothing about where to start tor how to do it . . . Google and YouTube are a wonderful thing.

My mod was completed with basic (very basic) tools – jig saw, drill, exacto knife and spray paint. So please do don’t expect a truly professional polish as this in an amateur attempt. To date, I have completed the case only (exterior and interior). Now that I have my build components, I have begun working on the interior – cable sleeving, component mods etc. (will update as I go along). Components going into the computer will be:

MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X79
    CPU: Intel i7 3820
    GPU: Zotac 660Ti
    PSU: Corsair AX850
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance (Olive Green) 16GB
    Cooling: Corsair H80i
    SSD: Adata 512GB
    HD: WD 1TB
    DVD: ASUS
    Fans: BitFenix Spectre LED (red) x 4 (in addition to the 2 existing Corsair white LED)
    Fan Controller: BitFenix Hydra Pro

While new and shiny mods are very spectacular to the eye and seem to be the norm in the modding world, I wanted to push things a bit outside the ordinary and do something a bit more worn and used looking. Being a fan of all things zombie and a gamer of apocalyptic and military themed games, I wanted a computer that matched my interest. So I went about designing a mod that looked like a military radio which had seen service in a global war, survived and had been repurposed in a post-apocalyptic world. I decided to go with the Corsair Carbide 400R as the start point.

Name:  400R Front Begin.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  82.9 KB Name:  400R Front Side Begin.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  75.8 KB Name:  400R Top Begin.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  82.9 KB

Using my limited knowledge, I added a window (gave it an armoured look – heavy bolts), altered the bezel to look like communication equipment with speaker openings disguising the two existing fans. I added a top control box to give it an appearance of having been re-purposed later on in its life. I also added a cover plate for the top grill (plexi-glass – skulls cut out using a jig saw – going to mount two red led fans below). The whole thing was painted and aged (aluminum brushing for wear, rubbing with ash to darken and age – everything sealed with a clear finish). The camouflage netting was individually glued to each side and top – decals were applied to give it a used look. Here a few pics of the completed exterior.

Name:  Mod Front Side End.JPG
Views: 1297
Size:  96.4 KB Name:  Mod Side 2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  38.5 KB

I will follow-up with a bit of detail on how it got to its current state in a subsequent post.

Cheers

Fen

NICE!

Please I would love to see some "Build Images"
    Cut it, Paint it, Mod it. Void Your Warranty #moddersinc @moddersinc

Sorry for the long delay between posts. I got so caught up in the project that I forgot to post updates. So I will post a few to bring everything up to date as I am ready to begin installing hardware.

Thought I would provide some background to the first pictures I posted to show how the case got to its new state before I move forward with the interior build log.

Firstly the paint and tools used:

The work done to transform the case:

Dial Plate

I wanted to have a place to mount some communication dials while some might say why give up two bays, my thoughts were I only need two (DVD and Fan Controller). The dials were salvage from an electric guitar, the dial pad an old phone and the handles I had lying around.

Speakers

Every radio needs speakers so I thought the two existing fan openings on the case would do for this purpose. In making the openings, I wanted them to stand out so I cut down two toilet installation brackets (yes toilet installation brackets - anything can be repurposed ), to form the framing of the speaker ports. They were glued in place and then I used caulking to seal and smooth them to the front sheeting. The bolts were used to give the front a rugged armoured look and dials were added for effect.

Top Fan Grill Plate

Originally I wasn't going to do this. I had seen lots of top grill plates on other mods and thought that would be cool However, I did not have the equipment to mill a metal plate or even a good saw to cut one out of metal sheeting. Then it dawned on me, why not plexi? So I drew the templates for cutting and gave it try with a jig saw. Worse case it would look horrible and I would scrap the idea. I didn't think it turned out too badly - so I kept it. I will be mounting two red LED Spectre Pros below the plate.

Will post the second half of the external mod lead-up next.

Cheers

Fen

External Mod: Part 2:

Sorry I could not fit all the pics of the external mod on one post. Here is part 2 of the process:

Control Box

I wanted to add a control box which would look like a retro-fit. This was done using aluminum sheeting, toggle switches, LEDs and cannibalizing an old dial I had lying around. I also wanted to give it a damaged an repaired look, so added some exposed wiring for effect:

Window Mod

The 400R does not have an existing window and I wanted to be able to see my interior. I cut out a window opening and used plexi to create a frame. Bolts were added to give it a rugged armoured look - I know not exactly something a radio would have but I needed something to go with the theme:

Top Fan Grill Plate

Originally I wasn't going to do this. I had seen lots of top grill plates on other mods and thought that would be cool However, I did not have the equipment to mill a metal plate or even a good saw to cut one out of metal sheeting. Then it dawned on me, why not plexi? So I drew the templates for cutting and gave it try with a jig saw. Worse case it would look horrible and I would scrap the idea. I didn't think it turned out too badly - so I kept it. I will be mounting two red LED Spectre Pros below the plate.

Cheers

Fen

WORK LOG - PART 2

PSU, Fans and the art of hiding plain sight

I decided on a Corsair 850AX for the PSU. I wanted it to fit into the theme so I painted/aged it. I added a few Mylar decals to cover the Corsair labels (checked with Corsair, so long as I don't destroy the labels when I remove the Mylar, my warranty is still good

I am using 4 BitFenix Red LED fans. The two which will go on the side panel have been painted/aged to match the theme. In addition, I sleeved the cables coming from the fan. Tested out the fans as this was my first sleeving and I wanted to make sure I wired it correctly. Hooked it up to my fan controller and everything works

For the Fan Controller I wanted something simple to stick with the theme of the build (just sliders - no flashy display), so I went with the BitFenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller. Naturally, after a quick paint job it fit right in to the build:

Hooked up the fans and fan controller to the PSU for a test and everything worked fine :

Once I had all my cables run, I was soon left with the dilemma of what to do with all the cables. I could have run them through the back and weaved them through to the fan controller but I didn't want weaved wires/cables crisscrossing inside the case. So I thought about potential solutions and settled on using electrical conduit sheathing to hide the wires and route them direct to the fan controller. This way they would be "hidden in plain sight" but still fit in nicely with the build theme.

Cheers

Fen

WORKLOG Part 2a: Hiding in plain sight continued

Okay . . . not a major mod but one of the little details I used to correct something that bugged me. After I ran the fan cables through the electrical conduit, no matter how much strapping I used, I could still see the fan wires through the slots on the side of the front expansion bay cage. So I decided to cover the slots. I used aluminum sheeting to make the covers, painted them and added warning decals for effect - la voila . . . I could not see the wires any more and my functional obsessive needs were met again.

So, I went through the hassle of finding a way to hide my incoming fan cables to the controller and then hiding the side openings of the expansion bay cage so the wiring could not be seen. The next thing I turned my attention to was the HD/SSD cage. I realized that once mounted my HD with it's shinny silver cover would be raining all over my matt/aged finished goodness as the cage is open to view with the side panel off . . . not mention you would see the cables running through the back to the HD and SSD

I considered painting the HD to match the theme but that presented a host of potential risks (I have venting holes on my HD) and as this was a brand new 1TB HD, I really did not want to risk it. Besides, the cables would still be seen. So I hit on the idea of a adding an access door to the opening. This way I could work it into the theme as a service panel for the communication array. To achieve this I used aluminum sheeting I had lying about and a set of hinges I bought. The door was painted and aged to match the theme. Warning and panel labels were added for effect . . . Oh yeah, the bolt heads are just window dressing to give it more of an access panel look.

Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen

- - - Updated - - -

WORK LOG - PART 3

Optical Drive - Its all about making it match

Okay, so I have the standard black and grey optical drive, and while painting/aging the front is a given so it matches the theme, I quickly realized that while it might be nestled quite high in the expansion bay cage, the bottom and back grey would be visible at certain angles. So once again my functional obsessive compulsive need for detail kicked in and I decided to paint the whole optical drive to match the theme.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Fen

The sudden execution! I love!! Perfectly!!
    192.168.l.254
    Last edited by sova53; 03-06-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Thread Information