Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dritter Wolf : A tribute to the 3rd installment of Wolfenstein

Dritter Wolf : A tribute to the 3rd installment of Wolfenstein

Blow the dust off, lets get started.... B.J. aint gonna hold back.... why should I?

Name:  wolf_sm05.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  21.9 KB

Wolfenstein is back, and they forgot about him!

My mod is going to take what influences and styles I can find online and incorporate them into a computer styled like the game.

Here are some of the shots and scenes I have found that I am using for inspiration:
    Name:  wolf_sm01.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  wolf_sm02.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  wolf_sm03.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  wolf_sm04.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  26.5 KB
    Think.... 60's military tech meets Steampunk...

So, prepare to take history on a ride down an alternate universe!!!!
    -=Tech-Daddy=-
    blingGreen, Lupine, BOSS FX-57, DSF... what's coming next? Stick around!
    http://www.tech-daddy.com

So..... no pics.... just news.... disassembly of the case, capturing of the screws, and some sweeeeeet ideas during the process!!!!
    You've seen cases gutted before, so there is no need to go into that. Tomorrow I break out the mad scientist in me!

Sooooo.... what happened from last Saturday to now? Well.... I told you steampunk meets 60's military tech...

I came up with the idea of building a sort of reactor type of "intake" on the front fan. So, off came the front, black fan, and it was replaced with one that reeks of "heat"
    Name:  Wolf_build01.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  60.9 KB

This thing really glows a nice, rich, vibrant red.

Then... well... I had to put some sort of a grill over it, so I started bending tubing,
    Name:  Wolf_build03.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  46.7 KB

*Then, I got the "bright" idea, "I gotta make those look like some sort of energy filled rod that has been damaged!" So I figured out a way to tear off the top of the tubing:
    Name:  Wolf_build04.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  24.5 KB

Then I had some thin acrylic rods laying around... yeah, yeah... I know, what kind of person has acrylic rods laying around, for YEARS... waiting for the right time to use them... *me*, that's who! And they were the right diameter for these tubes! Match made in heaven!
    Name:  Wolf_build07.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  34.3 KB

Then I found one of my test LED's laying about, and I applied it to the end of the acrylic rod... instant light pipe!
    Name:  Wolf_build10.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  45.4 KB

Soooo, I built me a lot of them in various sizes,
    Name:  Wolf_build16.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  42.1 KB

Then the fan needed a shroud, to make it look less "fan-ish", so I broke out the cardboard for a prototype, and got my shaping right:
    Name:  Wolf_build17.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  33.4 KB

then got my measurements and cut the shape out of black acrylic. Put it under the hole saw for the fan diameter:
    Name:  Wolf_build18.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  Wolf_build19.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  Wolf_build20.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  51.2 KB

Then drew out the side notches needed to pull the sides down:
    Name:  Wolf_build21.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  64.2 KB

After I had those cut, I pulled the masking off, I placed the cut acrylic on a stack of dead 120mm fans, so that I could use their dimensions to properly fold the shroud. I used my heat gun with a flat attachment so that I could target the side edges of the bend, and heat only the acrylic that needed bending. When I started to see the acrylic move, I placed a glossy, paperback book on the top of the acrylic to keep the fan hole acrylic from moving while I bent the sides down using another thin, glossy book. And after a little while of moving around the acrylic... I ended up here:
    Name:  Wolf_build23.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  Wolf_build25.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  51.8 KB

So.... what's next? Well, I need to get the holes in the acrylic that are the right diameter for the tubing, and they need to be angled so that the tube entry is 90 degrees to the case front... and I have a sweet idea for that! Oh, and the light pipe color will likely be blue.... possibly a pulsing effect if I have time to put it in. More on the way!!!!
    Last edited by tech-daddy; 07-09-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Looking great Craig, .. yup I use my tummy as a bending tool also!

"Moddin' ... Ain't It Cool!"

Looks great man!

crap... I needed to kick mine up a notch now
    Cut it, Paint it, Mod it. Void Your Warranty #moddersinc @moddersinc

Love the light tubes Craig, great idea! And I love how you guys are pushing each other to do better. Competition is a great motivator!
    www.bods-mods.com

Thank you Bod, and everyone else for following our mods. You are probably asking yourself... "Tech? Where the h*ll is the rest of your work log?"
    Well, since I know some of the final pics are starting to drift out there, I need to show you how I got to that point, and.... more importantly... where I am intending to go as I continue on this!

See, the great thing about this contest, is that I got to build something fun, cool, and energizing. Then I got to go to Quakecon and immerse myself in other modder inspirations and come away with more ideas of what I want to do! So.... I will be catching my log up to date with the final pics that are out there, and then explain where I am going to continue this mod. Just because Quakecon has come and gone, does not mean I'm stopping.... no no no.... Kinda like stomping on the accelerator of an old car, trying to clean out the gas and get the motor running.... well, that was the build *up* to Quakecon. MOre to come folks... more to come!

Oh, and Dewayne and Vic brought Effing BEAUTIFUL cases! They always bring such impressive cases!!!
    -=TD

Great job Craig. It was a great time out in Texas with you guys, waiting on next year

OH and BTW, the Dritter Wolf was pretty sweet

So, on the front bezel, there were these plastic ribs across the front air intake. These would have normally been covered by the speaker mesh metal grill, and the thin foam filter back liner to the metal mesh. But since I am stripping all of that out, these support ribs have to go. So I clipped them with my wire dikes, then a couple quick passes with some files:
    Name:  Wolf_build27.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB

and voila!
    Name:  Wolf_build39.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  29.0 KB

So, to continue on my vision of my shroud.... I thought about using it to semi create a false technology... heheheh! How vague is that! Well.... let me explain. The light pipes will be mounted over the fan, and from a visual perspective they will follow the up/down vertical lines of the case. Using a basic law of thermodynamics (heat rises) I wanted to make the "plasma" pipes look like they were taking cool plasma from the bottom of the pipe, circulating it over the heat source of the "reactor" (the intake fan) and then pumping heated plasma as some sort of alternate universe power source. So... to mount the light pipes to the shroud, I needed to eyeball where they were going to be mounted. I attached painters tape to the sides that I was going to push the pipes through:
    Name:  Wolf_build28.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  37.9 KB

Then I put the pipes on the shroud and traced the perimeter of the pipes where they landed on the tape:
    Name:  Wolf_build29.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Wolf_build30.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Then I took my drill, and found a super narrow spade bit that allowed me to make the holes through the faces of the shroud. This would be a two step process.
    1) Drill the initial holes perpendicular to the angled surface of the shroud
    Name:  Wolf_build31.jpg
Size:  42.4 KB

2) Taper the holes to make them perpendicular to the top.
    Name:  Wolf_build32.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  Wolf_build33.jpg
Size:  24.6 KB

the tapered holes allow for the proper passage of the light pipes:
    Name:  Wolf_build34.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  Wolf_build37.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  36.4 KB

Then I placed it over the fan to insure everything fit:
    Name:  Wolf_build38.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  42.7 KB

Good fit!

While I was working on this part of the build, I remembered an old Cooler Master Musketeer III that I had in the garage. It was an audio filter to give warmth to digital music via a passthru tube amp. I used it just because of the VU meter and the working tube! Gave it a good 60's feel! So I broke it out to see if it would work with the build...
    Name:  Wolf_build40.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  Wolf_build41.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  33.8 KB
    Yeah.... that will work nicely!!!

In order for the light pipes to work... well.... they need light! So I broke out the soldering iron and chained 2 sets of 3 LED's for each end of the pipes. Blue to simulate the colder plasma, and orange to simulate the heated plasma circulating up the pipe.
    Theres the hot side:
    Name:  Wolf_build42.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  46.7 KB

And the cold side:
    Name:  Wolf_build43.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  44.3 KB

And when you tie the whole effect together with the fan, well, you end up here:
    Name:  Wolf_build48.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  43.0 KB

Next update.... I take a trip to Home Depot for static vents... and I end up winding my way through an adjustable blast vent for the top exhaust, and covering it with faux metalwork!

Stay tuned!
    -=TD

Nice work bro!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information