Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case recommendations?

Case recommendations?

I need to buy a full-size tower case. Must have at least eight 5.25" external bays, at least one external 3.5" bay, & seven expansion slots. Ports needed: 2 eSATA, 2 IEEE1394, & at least eight USB2.0.

I'm looking for one constructed with steel frame and aluminum panels, but will settle for either steel or aluminum. Suggestions?

The I/O on the back panel is dicated by the I/O shield the comes with your motherboard. It looks like you want an eSATA and an IEEE1394a header on the motherboard for the front panel. I don't think anyone ever made a board like that. Both of those connections have been displaced by USB 3.0. A modern case will have 1 or 2 USB 3.0 and 1 or 2 USB 2.0 connectors on the front, no IEEE1394a or eSATA. Lian Li is the industry standard for cases. You can still find rear panel IEEE1394a connectors on motherboards.

If you want a lot of ports on the front of the case, you need to get "multimedia I/O ports" that fit in a 5.25" bay.

And why do you need a full tower? For E-ATX? I don't know why you would need that. For dual Xeon processors? There is one mid-tower chassis that is E-ATX, the Silverstone TJ09. It doesn't have USB 3.0, though.

The top brand of computer case, that lets you customize the build, is Case Labs.
    Last edited by dnewhous; 08-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.

I'm doing a legacy build using AMD 700series Gigabyte board. The five under consideration either have the eSATA or plenty of PCIe x1 slots to add expansion card, and I believe all have firewire. My legacy build will not be able to use USB 3.0 nor SATA 6Gb/s.

I prefer not to fool with trying to figure out whether this or that will fit- with a full tower just about anything fits. Can you recommend any multimedia I/O ports?

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    The I/O on the back panel is dicated by the I/O shield the comes with your motherboard. It looks like you want an eSATA and an IEEE1394a header on the motherboard for the front panel. I don't think anyone ever made a board like that. Both of those connections have been displaced by USB 3.0. A modern case will have 1 or 2 USB 3.0 and 1 or 2 USB 2.0 connectors on the front, no IEEE1394a or eSATA. Lian Li is the industry standard for cases. You can still find rear panel IEEE1394a connectors on motherboards.

If you want a lot of ports on the front of the case, you need to get "multimedia I/O ports" that fit in a 5.25" bay.

And why do you need a full tower? For E-ATX? I don't know why you would need that. For dual Xeon processors? There is one mid-tower chassis that is E-ATX, the Silverstone TJ09. It doesn't have USB 3.0, though.

The top brand of computer case, that lets you customize the build, is Case Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by vorn View Post
    Can you recommend any multimedia I/O ports?
    Lian-Li makes some. I use their 3.5" card readers.

Try taking a look at FrontX.
    Last edited by dnewhous; 09-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    Lian-Li makes some. I use their 3.5" card readers.

Try taking a look at FrontX.
    FrontX looks to fit my needs exactly. Thanks for the tip!

Did you find a case for your needs? 8 USB 2.0 and dual eSATA with dual Firewire would be difficult. For a full tower case with eight external 5.25 + 1 external 3.5, something like the Cooler Master Storm Stryker/Trooper might fit your needs. Just remove the internal HDD cages as the entire front can be external. I havent seen it in a while so somebody has to verify this for me but I'm sure you can fully mouse external devices in all of the bays.

8 USB 2.0 and dual eSATA/Firewire is not really standard, even for full tower cases. If you want to utilize your motherboard's firewire, eSATA and USB 2.0 headers, I suggest getting rear expansion brackets if you have extra space as those are cheaper and much more convenient solutions rather than front panel outputs for thsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
    Did you find a case for your needs? 8 USB 2.0 and dual eSATA with dual Firewire would be difficult. For a full tower case with eight external 5.25 + 1 external 3.5, something like the Cooler Master Storm Stryker/Trooper might fit your needs. Just remove the internal HDD cages as the entire front can be external. I havent seen it in a while so somebody has to verify this for me but I'm sure you can fully mouse external devices in all of the bays.

8 USB 2.0 and dual eSATA/Firewire is not really standard, even for full tower cases. If you want to utilize your motherboard's firewire, eSATA and USB 2.0 headers, I suggest getting rear expansion brackets if you have extra space as those are cheaper and much more convenient solutions rather than front panel outputs for thsoe.
    Yes, Cooler Master looks to be closest to my needs, especially the steel/aluminum construction. I know about the front panel bay devices to add firewire, eSATA, etc., but these "rear expansion brackets" sounds like an interesting option. Got more info? I know nothing about it!

Hi Vorn,

They usually come with motherboards as accessories but you can buy them separately. This is one example for USB 2.0: http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Rear-Pa.../dp/B002IWEDSS and one for Firewire: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-134...e+rear+bracket

They are generally a lot cheaper than front panel expansion as those cost around $15 to 30 (insane!) while rear brackets cost from $2 to $15.

Quote Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
    Hi Vorn,

They usually come with motherboards as accessories but you can buy them separately. This is one example for USB 2.0: http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Rear-Pa.../dp/B002IWEDSS and one for Firewire: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-134...e+rear+bracket

They are generally a lot cheaper than front panel expansion as those cost around $15 to 30 (insane!) while rear brackets cost from $2 to $15.
    Never heard of these before. Thanks for the tip! One can never have too many options.

bellatory
    Something in coolermaster you mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information