Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MeenGreen - Finished 6-19-05

MeenGreen - Finished 6-19-05

I decided to give this thing a proper name and do an actual worklog on it since I was redoing a lot of it.

Since I have been in modding I started like most people now-a-days. I start with the standard pre-mod case and go from there. Twisted is my main rig (can be seen in the case gallery or on the site info page). It too was a pre-mod but only has a few traits left of the pre-mod look. Now that I have this one almost complete it will be getting some revamping.

Mean Green started as the standard review case. I received on of Ultras Glossy Dragon cases. I went threw the review as I do all. Marked down the pros and cons for the case. Since doing the review I have decided to give this pre-mod a major overhaul in the looks department. Its been threw several Trial and error mods in the last month or so. It houses my webserver/game server (slowly making its way into a htpc as well). So on with the show you say?

Standard Ultra Glossy Black Dragon Case.

Some pics showing the case as the review is done.

As you can see in the above pics, the case has plenty of room, with several nice features. The things I didnt like about the case really stood out to me. But every single one of them was already being planed to be fixed. I did not care for the light blue fan mounts and hated the fact that you could not screw mount fans if you wanted to. I dont even like having to paint the fan mounts. I think they block to much on the looks side. So will planing things I started playing with the looks a little bit. Had the spire sound pad material sitting in corner and thought why not toss it in and see how this thing looked with the black innards.

I was happy with the look of the black inside the case, I am not one that likes to have a bright fully lit case. I like minor highlights and so forth. I do plexi/led mods to accent the case but not over power it with light. Even threw in the CaseModGod text for giggles.

Durring the process another one of the things I wasnt happy with on the case was the fact that all the panels excluding the front looked semi dull. I decided to give the panels a nice hand polish to see if I could achieve enough shine rather than repainting the entire case.

Now that I had decided positively on my colors I was going to use in the case. I started thinking on things to do and ways to do them. In the meantime I received a 3 pack of Ultras 80mm Glossy Green fans and one of their UV sleeving kits to review. Of course I got to choose the colors. So in came the green parts. Tore down the rig again and done the reviews for them. Pics of those items.

As seen in one of the above pics, while doing the fan/sleeving review I started playing with the mesh idea. I went threw 3 trials before deciding on how I wanted to do it. Lighting plexi in some areas can be tough and will either look great or look like BLA... Well the first 2 methods fell in the BLA category.

The rest is in my last post.

Lower panel is done.. 6 Leds (3 per side). Top will recieve the same.

Just finished it up and now need to pull the parts back out of the last review and my server will be back to normal.

The top panels light effect is off a little compared to the bottom. You have plenty of room to position the lower leds where they are needed. On the top you have to angle them just a little which gives it a slightly lighter effect. The camera is making it look more off that what it actaully is.

Now back to the current changes.

Since my server/htpc is slated to find a new home very soon, I figured I should atleast get this case finished before stripping the hardware out again. It will end up housing my kids rig once I make the change.

So I lost the front vents, and center panel on the front door. As stated before I trialed 3 methods trying to get the look I wanted which I think I achieved.

With the light setup I wanted in place I decided that I wanted to be able to see whats behind the lexan and mesh. The lower part of the panel makes that a little hard since the fans are offset to the left of the case a little. I did not want to only see part of the fans. I choose to cut the entire lower front section out of the case and build me a new fan mount. I of course used some plexi for this. I wanted to only see threw the fans themselves and not around then so I painted the plexi black. For lack of paint I stole some of my kids silver fingernail polish and done up the fan blades in silver to see how it would come out. The mesh is going to dampen the effect but that was planned for.

Lighting has to be perfect for my camera to get a good shot of it which didnt happen in the above pics. It looks much better in person.

I also wanted to do a cd rom window and top window in the case. I wanted to keep the basic lines that the case already has so decided to use the arch in both pieces.

cd rom window cut

Top window cut

Last 2 panels show the trial runs with the windows. I hit a little bad luck (something I have been dealing with for almost 5 years now) and killed both pieces of plexi in later processes.

Ok now knowing I cut the air flow down a little bit by limiting the amount of inlet space for the front fans I decided to add 2 side fans on the right panel. I choose to do them in the same manor that I did the front fans. Fingernail polish and all. Pics after it was done.

I do plan to slip a piece of 1/4 lexan between the fans and the grill with 2 green leds lighting it. Have to order some more tho. Used more on the front panel than I had originaly planned on.

So now I started putting all my hardware back in after the last case review. I borrowed the PSU from that case to add a little extra lighting to the case. I have not had any UV effects durring my trials and thought that I would see what it would turn out like mixing in some UV with the green.

No Lighting.

UV Lighting.

Green Lighting.

UV and Green Lighting.

So now that I have the majority of the case done. I am pleased so far with the look that I have gotten with my pre-mod case.

And lol Duck you thought I wouldnt do what ya said? This one was just for you.

There are only 2 panels on this pre-mod that have been left untouched. That will not last long. Side window is going to get revamped and possilby etched. I will more than likely toss in a lower window as well. Will order some more green leds (so far I have used 14 leds on this case and figure I will use atleast another 8 and will be adding a few UV leds to pic up where the UV ccfl is lacking.

Thanks guys for all the Comments. The orignal "Vinyl Graphic" wasn't actually Vinyl. It was simply printed and adheard to the backing I had covering the upper area. Teadious work cutting it out and pulling it off without it showing as printed paper so to speak.

I have done some updates to this the last couple of days. I pulled a few leds and replaced with Lazer Leds. Added a few more UV products in the mix seeing what came out the best. I pulled the PSU out and slapped in one of the Ultra 500 Watt X Connnect PSU's. With as many lighting mods on this case as I got. Power connectors are a must.

To make sure I kept as many wires out of the pic as I could I piggy backed everything off of 2 rails. I got 4 fans, 12 Leds, and 1 Lazer Led on one rail. 3 Fans, 2 CCFL's, and 1 Lazer Led on the other rail. I don't think I will be adding any more light to the case. If I do it will consist of swapping things out but am pretty satisfies with the final look of it.

A few pics till I get the finger prints whiped off and it take more shots.

No lighting w/flash

UV CCFL & 2 UV Lazer Leds wo/flash

UV CCFL, Green CCFL, 2 UV Lazer Leds wo/flash

Green CCFL, 2 UV Lazer Leds wo/flash

I replaced the left window with one without a side fan. I also redone the upper window and added a blow hole fan in it with the 2 UV Lazer Leds. To keep the mesh tied in on the top I added a mesh cover between the fan and the window. Not that its going to get seen but it will add a little saftey as well.

TY DB. Here are the final shots after everything is cleaned up.

may i enquire as to how u did those mesh grills on the front....they look kool.....

I copied this reply from another site to give you a quick response. If you want more info please ask and I will provide.

Cutting the vents out wasnt to bad, I just had to watch the top one because you could see the top half of it. I cut down the grooves of the front panel from behind. Then cut the top vent leaving half of it still on the case.

Vents out, I then did my final cutting to get the straight edeges for the lexan to sit against. Well after fighting the first 2 trials with hot glue. I decided I was going to make this one tight enough it wouldnt need any. Once the lexan was cut to fill in the gap of the vents. I marked and drilled two spots to screw from the bottom up into it.

The top is held in by simply being very snug. It would take more than a decent bump to jar it loose. I then formed up the mesh out of one of those pen/pencile cans you can pick up at officemax or the likes. Once it was formed I marked and drilled it for the 4 mounting screws. Marked and drilled the lexan for the 4 standoffs. Slipped it all together and ran the 2 mounting screws threw both the lexan and the mesh.

Plan out your cut on the vents before making the first cut, if cut wrong it can be a pain to modify or fix.

Hope this helps.

Very Nice!! top window where the optical drive is would also be good place for one of the new windowed WD 150GB raptors (although not as creative as your optical).

*_* the top window and window cdrom looks sooooo super *_*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information