I decided to give this thing a proper name and do an actual worklog on it since I was redoing a lot of it.
Since I have been in modding I started like most people now-a-days. I start with the standard pre-mod case and go from there. Twisted is my main rig (can be seen in the case gallery or on the site info page). It too was a pre-mod but only has a few traits left of the pre-mod look. Now that I have this one almost complete it will be getting some revamping.
Mean Green started as the standard review case. I received on of Ultras Glossy Dragon cases. I went threw the review as I do all. Marked down the pros and cons for the case. Since doing the review I have decided to give this pre-mod a major overhaul in the looks department. Its been threw several Trial and error mods in the last month or so. It houses my webserver/game server (slowly making its way into a htpc as well). So on with the show you say?
Standard Ultra Glossy Black Dragon Case.
Some pics showing the case as the review is done.
As you can see in the above pics, the case has plenty of room, with several nice features. The things I didnt like about the case really stood out to me. But every single one of them was already being planed to be fixed. I did not care for the light blue fan mounts and hated the fact that you could not screw mount fans if you wanted to. I dont even like having to paint the fan mounts. I think they block to much on the looks side. So will planing things I started playing with the looks a little bit. Had the spire sound pad material sitting in corner and thought why not toss it in and see how this thing looked with the black innards.
I was happy with the look of the black inside the case, I am not one that likes to have a bright fully lit case. I like minor highlights and so forth. I do plexi/led mods to accent the case but not over power it with light. Even threw in the CaseModGod text for giggles.
Durring the process another one of the things I wasnt happy with on the case was the fact that all the panels excluding the front looked semi dull. I decided to give the panels a nice hand polish to see if I could achieve enough shine rather than repainting the entire case.
Now that I had decided positively on my colors I was going to use in the case. I started thinking on things to do and ways to do them. In the meantime I received a 3 pack of Ultras 80mm Glossy Green fans and one of their UV sleeving kits to review. Of course I got to choose the colors. So in came the green parts. Tore down the rig again and done the reviews for them. Pics of those items.
As seen in one of the above pics, while doing the fan/sleeving review I started playing with the mesh idea. I went threw 3 trials before deciding on how I wanted to do it. Lighting plexi in some areas can be tough and will either look great or look like BLA... Well the first 2 methods fell in the BLA category.
The rest is in my last post.