Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Instinct

Master of Futility onevoicewild's Avatar

Bass Instinct

Bass Instinct

Name:  big_thumb_2199908742826a48f49055c4ff8455e7.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  37.7 KB

Hey Modders I'm finally getting going on a new build. I had a false start on a Corsair 250 D But life got in the way and I'm not sure I'm man enough to do the things I want to do in a Mini ITX case.

The Victim of my affection is a Lian li PC-V359. This is a Micro ATX case, but I will be using a Mini ATX board so I will have a little extra room for cooling gear and I like the square proportions, compared to the Mini version of this case.

Name:  images red corner.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  8.0 KB

The case I ordered was Black with black Pillars. The Case I got was Black with Red Pillars, I kinda liked that model too so I'm going to go with it. Funny in the Lian li literature the red is more of a fire engine red, but this anodized red is a much better tone of red - Sold.

Name:  DSCN3588.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  42.8 KB

One of the interesting things about this Case is that the top and all four sides slide in and out of the corner pillars to give easy access it opens up a myriad of options for modding.

Name:  DSCN3658.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  DSCN3663.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3657.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  DSCN3653.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  28.7 KB

I had a huge sheet of thick Deep Red Acrylic so the first thing i did was make a replacement top window. I know there are a million red and black builds out there, but that's because it looks good, I'll just have to find a way to keep it from being boring.

Name:  DSCN3576.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3574.jpg
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  DSCN3567.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  32.1 KB

MnpcTech sent me out a set of their beautiful case feet. These feet were made for this case and improved the look over the factory feet, which weren't bad. These may end up getting painted in the end, but I'll wait on that decision until I see how all the colors are blending. I tapped the Case so I could spin the feet on and off easier, but they come with hardware for easy mounting to anything. Ok I admit it, I just like tapping threads whenever possible.

Name:  DSCN3581.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3586.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB

My love to thick material is a painful affair when you do your work with basic hand tools. I just like the depth the thick materials add to the look, But there is a price to be paid! I cut out my basic shapes with a Jig Saw and Dremel and then refine the shapes with files and sanding. Not the easiest way to do things, but My setup allows me to watch movies while I'm filling away. My Initial plan for the front was to stack Aluminum on top of the Red Acrylic with the Acrylic just sticking out a little further than the aluminum.

Name:  DSCN3612.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  DSCN3594.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3613.jpg
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3596.jpg
Size:  26.5 KB

Ok planning is not one of my strong suits. What I hadn't anticipated was that my thick stack of materials took away the distinctive angles of the corner pillars sticking out further than the case front. The pillars really make the look of this case, so this wasn't going to work. At this point I am dropping the Acrylic layer and I beveled the edges of the Aluminum to match the angles of the pillars. I had cut the Aluminum wider around the window and now that I removed the lower layer I will have to adapt it to match up better. I started adding some bling to the Aluminum sheet.

Name:  DSCN3623.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3626.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3629.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  29.1 KB

This is closer than the picture shows, but it was hard to align the camera up perfectly.

Name:  DSCN3643.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3644.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3647.jpg
Size:  21.6 KB

Not bad considering the tools used to do this with. I really want a Scroll Saw, but I don't want to buy a cheap one that I'll end up hating. So until then I'll just keep doing what I do.

Name:  DSCN3650.jpg
Size:  27.2 KB

I continue to refine this piece. I plan to put lite Acrylic on the inside of the case behind The ROG Logo and Mesh behind the volume bars. I think this piece will be painted in the end. Here is a size comparison between the Lian li case and a 250D.

Name:  DSCN3676.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3678.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  37.1 KB

I had originally bought 2 - 250 D cases, I build this straight build in a day, Most of that was hiding wires. I was going to Mod the second case and then transfer the kit, But life got in the way and I never pulled the trigger on the Mod. The New case is more inspiring to me and there aren't 500 of them that have already been Modded. Anyway It is so good to be back into a build, This one is just for the pleasure of Modding, No time limit, no pressure Thanks for checking out the build.

Ok Pop Quiz Hot Shot's There are a lot of well traveled people on this forum.

With out Google who can tell me what these are?

What do they do?

No Googling, your Mom knows when your Googling.

And no Fan Blade didn't make them, He could have, but he was busy pushing someone into the guardrail in turn 3.

These are actually made in the Home Land - Germany

Name:  DSCN3691.jpg

Name:  DSCN3692.jpg
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3683.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  DSCN3684.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  34.9 KB

No Takers ay, - Ok these are Speaker spikes. I thought they would make good knobs for the top glass in this case. I like the looks of them!

Name:  DSCN3695.jpg
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3706.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  DSCN3704.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3711.jpg
Size:  26.2 KB

Progress sweet progress. I finished up the front aluminum piece and wet sanded it to get the big scratches out. I could have taken a little more care when I made it, but that's the great thing about Aluminum you just sand until the scratches are gone. Did I mention I'm a glutton for punishment! Different modders have certain niches in their building, mine seems to be torturous days of filing and sanding. I have been playing with the idea of painting this plate with some high grade Automotive paint, But I'm still working out the color combinations as I go.

Name:  DSCN3713.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  50.3 KB

I didn't really plan on replacing the front window, But after removing the Red Acrylic layer I had a miss alignment around the window. damn the Ghost of Sam still looks over me and this will never do. I have to say, the fact that all the panels are removable is a modders dream! It makes it so much easier just dealing with each piece individually. I highly recommend you don't buy this case! It's mine all mine!

Name:  DSCN3731.jpg
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  DSCN3740.jpg
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  DSCN3727.jpg
Size:  43.0 KB

Like I said I had been planning on Painting the Aluminum piece, But I have to admit Deep inside I love shiny. I think I'll go with it for now and see how I like it as the build comes together. I didn't have any clear Acrylic on hand so I am trying some Bronze I had. It actually looks better than I thought. I'll need to get the case fully lite to see for sure.

Name:  DSCN3745.jpg

You think I would have learned from the Metallica Build that it's hard to take night pictures of shiny stuff! Oh well we all have our cross to bare. Thanks for the quick shipment of the mesh Bill, This is one of the places where I will use it. I have two other kinds of mesh, but not the round hole. Fortunately I know people who sell what I need

Name:  DSCN3747.jpg
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  DSCN3749.jpg
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3787.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3755.jpg
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3757.jpg
Size:  29.1 KB

I threw a couple light strings inside to see what it might look like. Apparently I'm going to need to throw it a little harder lol. I'll work on that!

Name:  DSCN3776.jpg
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  DSCN3762.jpg
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  DSCN3763.jpg
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  DSCN3761.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  31.9 KB

That's it for now, more parts on the way from E.E.L's and company so they have to be good!

Chipping away at this. I stacked the 2 side panels so I could get identical copy's. When I laid them side by side they looked pretty funny. Looks like Mothra Vs Godzilla. I hope to have these ready by the end of the weekend. I had something wrong with my template and it cost me days of extra filing to correct it, so I'll be much more careful next time I do something like this. That's just the way it goes! We learn lessons and then we create new problems. I think these will look great on the case when I get them all diled in.

Name:  DSCN3841.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.9 KB

http://youtu.be/Jmoa13TG2TY

Name:  DSCN3834.jpg
Size:  64.2 KB

As you can see above, I double stacked 2 sheets of Aluminum so I could duplicate the pattern for the other side. I finished up the fit and polish for the left side and it is just temped in place so I can paint later.I really cost myself a lot of extra work when I goofed up the template I made? Not sure what I did wrong but it took 2 days to square it back up. Very happy with how it's going so far. I have more plans for the side panels but one step at a time!

Name:  DSCN3802.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  DSCN3814.jpg
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  DSCN3834.jpg
Size:  64.2 KB

I found this cool sanding stick that gets into some tight places. This one is 1" wide, they make a 1/2" wide one and I'm going to keep an eye out for that one, because it works pretty good. They sell special precut sandpaper, I'm sure it's over priced and I have scissors now that Mom let me have them back. This works out great for me, because I always end up with a left over piece that's not quite wide enough for my normal sanding block. ( I'm not going to point out that I must be mental getting excited about sandpaper) xD

Name:  DSCN3826.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3829.jpg
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  DSCN3896.jpg
Size:  41.3 KB

I swear, I cleaned the top just before I started taking pictures and after you get done then it shows up. It's probably all that filling and sanding dust floating in the air Ha ha. Grrrr the problem is, the camera just picks up stuff I can't see.

Name:  DSCN3913.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3879.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3855.jpg
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3873.jpg
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  DSCN3874.jpg
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3877.jpg
Size:  34.6 KB

I'm more of an EK guy, but for what I want to do with this build I was a radiator that I can polish. I found a Black Ice SR-1 240 mm that was on sale for 59.00 bucks. These are painted black, but they actually have a brass frame and tank ends, perfect for what I need!

Name:  DSCN3794.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  DSCN3796.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  55.0 KB

While I'm posting I might as well put up a little update. Because I covered most of the front of the case I had to find new locations for the stuff I covered up.

1 - USB ports and Audio - These Mother boards have enough ports on the back that we don't need no stinkin USB on the front - GONE!

2 - The ON BUTTON I've heard that those can be useful? I got lucky on Metallica, because the front fascia flexed just enough, that I just push in at the top and Bam. I decided to put it on the bottom of the case just under the edge where it's easy to reach. This serves the dual purpose of keeping unauthorized fools from getting on my rig. The wire routing is also much better and will hide the wiring from view.

Name:  DSCN3931.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  DSCN3929.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  DSCN3937.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  DSCN3955.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3949.jpg
Size:  31.1 KB

Exciting I know lol, It can't all be awesome hardware and Cooling loops! I actually like it a lot, keeps the front clean and is still easy to access.

While I have the case apart I wanted to show some of the unusual construction of the case. There is a fan in the front left corner that is supposed to cool the drives and it is ducted to the small factory mesh on the side panel. Seems a little restrictive to me. There is a filter clear on the inside of the duct that would require quite a bit of disassemble to clean. I'm guessing they think because the side panel slides out that you can get to it? REALLY most people wouldn't even know it was there! I'm playing with a few different fans to assist with the lighting.

Name:  DSCN3920.jpg
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3926.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  DSCN3924.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB

Really?

Name:  DSCN3927.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3953.jpg
Size:  41.5 KB

The Defiling of the Radiator - ​Some people paint, I unpaint. I wanted to add to it a little bit,
    so I mask off a couple of stripes on the top. I could have just painted them on or used the tape I mask with
    But all and all that would have taken just as much time as sanding around them.

I did most of the polishing by hand,but because of the masking I decided to build
    an electric polishing booth to help with the tight areas.

Ok it's a cardboard box! What do you guys want from me lol - at least I don't have polish on the ceiling.

I'm happy with the way things come out with this. I did a test fit and this wide rad has a clearance problem with the heat spreaders on the Corsair GT Ram I will be using. I wanted to polish this up to make sure it was worth the hassle. I'll have the fans I will be using next week and I should be able to put a notch in the fan housing and get the clearance I need?

Children don't try this at home! So I wanted to do some swirled metal patterns on one of my side panels.
    I practiced on another piece and then went for it on the real thing. Looking pretty good so I'll do just a little more,
    Fatal mistake ha ha 2 1/2 hours of sanding and polishing later round 2. These panels are very thin, so to avoid the
    Beer can effect I went much more subtle this time. I will have a Candy painted over this and Hope It will look good?
    I still have work to do on the overlay piece.

Watching Mos and Bill do these it made it look easy, Not so much! xD
    A right angle drill would have worked much better! Tools, Parts ? Dooh

Hanoverfist has agreed to do paint for me - Woot He has also been my psychiatrist while I try to decide which colors I want to go with.
    It's just a little scary, because it looked pretty good with the factory brushed / Anodized Aluminum.
    I got a good reminder why they use Anodizing, This stuff is tuff and very hard to remove!
    I'm wanting to use some transparent candy paint in some areas, so the Chrome and swirls will add to the effect.

I'm at that awkward stage before paint where I have bit's and pieces all over the place. I'm finishing prep on all the pieces.
    I don't want Mark to have to deal with this during the holidays so I'll probably ship it to him in January. I'm sure I'll find something to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I wish I hadn't got the polishing bug, but I seem to be into self torture. I guess I like shiny, so I might as well stick with it. I was going to try to get a couple of better shots that weren't in the bathroom. Now I'll have to face Cheaps ever watchful eye for back ground entertainment. Flushed the toilet - check, Hid the Cereal box - Check - Lights, camera, action. These were the third size of bars I tried, before I was happy with the look. It is a bit tricky to mount them and not show any bolts, but I have it worked out. Getting most of the panels ready for paint so I don't have much to show right now. There will be mesh behind the openings.

Playing around with this Idea. Need to work on the plan a little further, but this came out alright for the first pass.

I usually don't have to redo things, but I did this three times before I was happy with it.
    Fortunately this is fairly thin metal so it goes pretty quick. maybe I should stop Skypeing
    with my mom when I'm modding. The plus side is I actually managed to bore her to death
    too so I can be left alone to my projects. lol

Still working on this build but I have bits and pieces in various states of completion and a lot of the trinkets I've made are waiting for other parts to get done before I'm ready to show and tell.
    Mark Fryer ( Hanoverfist ) Is painting some of the panels right now and I'm looking forward to seeing some of his magic, that will get mixed with my patented file and polish.

I plan to relocate the GPU so it is visible thru the top of the case. The problem with this is it doesn't leave enough room for the rear 120mm fan. So I'm fabricating a new back panel to support the new GPU location and the replacement 80MM fan or two? 80mm but I like big fans! My planning is like a blind man walking thru a mine field and reacting as things blow up. lol somehow I manage to work things out as I go?

Here is what I have of the new back panel so far, I need to wait until I get the rest of the pieces back from Mark to determine the final locations of the cuts.

Before I decided to make a new panel I made a GPU bracket and It worked out pretty good, drilled and taped to accommodate a factory lock down. I hope to duplicate this in the one piece new panel?

Well If I'm going to have to use a 80MM fan I might as well make a grill for it. I was surprised to find that a lot of the normal fans we buy are also made in 80MM, who knew? Here is 2 of them next to a 200mm fan and custom Overkill grill that Bill Owen made for me that I haven't been able to use yet, Long story

I just made a basic design and then started free handing the idea as I went a long.

At this point I wasn't really happy with it. I told Mark It was Half cool, I just needed to find the other Half.
    This will actually be on the back of the case, so I cut a round knob in half to cover up the center hub of the fan.

I found the other Half I was looking for, along with a brushed finish on both pieces.

That's it for now, I have more done but I need to get all the pieces together in the same state. Thanks for checking out the project!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information