The engine is about to be put into the car, and my mechanic wants to go to the track & test it on the quarter mile.
He states that this setup is producing 400 - 450 lbs Torque and 450 - 500 HP.
He also feels that the car will run the quarter mile in 9 - 10 seconds.
I think the car might be at the low end of his HP & Torque estimates, but I think if I ran a 12 sec 1/4 mile in this car I would be lucky.
The engine is together, just needs to be put in the car and the rear end put on. Here are all the specs that would be useful I think for this calculation.
I have learned a bit about engines, but mostly that going with all new parts is too expensive and I will never get my money back out of this.
My mechanic also stated that if there was a weak link in my setup it is the 600 cfm carb. I may performance tune it, or get a 750 cfm if you think this will make a major difference.
1978 El Camino, 3,800 lbs (max)
ALL engine components are NEW
• 389 Stroker Engine
• SBC Block Machine Bored .060 over, Line Honed, basically a NEW block. Brass Fill plugs
• 400 Summit Racing Crankshaft with external Balancer & Flexplate
• KB High Performance Dish Pistons
• Rods Milled for precision
• 210cc intake runner aluminum sbc heads
2.02" intake and 1.60" ex. valves
• The engine has a roller setup which includes: Lunati Voodoo Solid Roller Cam, Aluminum roller lifters, and aluminum roller rocker arms
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 273/279
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/249
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .578/.585
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
RPM Range: 2600-7000
• HI TECH TORQUE LINK INTAKE MANIFOLD
designed by legendary engine builder Jim Mcfarland. It is a single plane manifold. The manifold runners are extended in length by crossing over and feeding of the oposite side of the carb. This allows longer runner length than the typical Vic JR type manifold. Seems to allow a little more low end power (within the usable range of a single plane manifold) So your usable power band starts sooner. And the peak torque output is higher, much like a Cross Ram intake manifold.
• 600 cfm edelbrock 4 barrel performance series carburetor
• Hooker Long Tube Headers
• Dual Flowmasters
• MSD Streetfire Ignition
• MSD Distributor
• Taylor High Performance wires
• Oversized Radiator
• 7 Quart High flow Oil Pan & Pump
• Spectre Performance Musclecar Cold Air Intake
• Lightweight Fan
• High output alternator
• New Battery
• New mechanical Fuel Pump
• 10 Bolt 7.5 G Body Rear end with 3.73 gear ratio and Posi Unit
• Anti Hop Bars
• 350 turbo transmission
• New Aftermarket Shocks & Springs (and front end)
• Chevy Rally Wheels
• Street Tires, stock size for 15 inch wheels
Thanks very much for reading. The car is pretty sweet. Black Knight Clone with all power options. All new interior & exterior, bucket seats. I was going to sell it, but I've got $12k in it & don't think anyone would pay that, so I might as well run it.