Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric High

Wet Sanded

Electric High

I doubt I've posted this here, but hopefully someone can help me with what I consider to be a major problem.

In my case, there seems to be a very bad electrical problem. If you touch anywhere in it that there is bare metal (not painted or only thinnly painted), you will get shocked. Certain places (closer to the bottom) are worse then others. This has been going on since I've built the computer, and other people have reported the same things. This is really bugging me.

Anyone have any ideas? Note: I have no immediate access to a multimeter...

Thanks in advance.

Electric High

well first guess is something not gounded properly. i'd check your wires and check that the motherboard is positioned properly. though i doubt you'd let that happen.

only other thing i can think of is in your PSU, the groun wire going out to the plug may have come loose, (and this is a guess) that may cause your case to become the ground, but that also sounds unlikly

so i guess i have no idea because i highly doubt theres any bare wires in your case, and it just sounds so unlikly that the ground wire in your PSU came loose. but when you do find the problem i'd be pretty curious to know what it was.

Wet Sanded

Electric High

Thanks, but I've already checked all of that
    I built this comp in Dec. and it has always been like this.. I've moved it around and what not, checked and tied all of the cables back, un mounted and remounted the mobo and fans and psu and hdd.. I have no idea at this point.

Perhaps if I change the cable going from the psu to the outlet...

And maybe try a different surge protector.

Electric High

i think i might not be to far behind you. i got a feeling one of my PSU's is dying. seems like sometimes it doesn't wanna coem on, which is drivin me crazy. I use DUAL PSU's so with the one not always wanting to come on i'm losing all my optical drives.... (i have 4 optical drives btw, so it's a bit more then a normal loss)

Wet Sanded

Electric High

.. I lost you there.. What? I'm not going to change my psu, just the wire, and where the wire plugs into.

Electric High

i would recommend changing the psu, if only temporary, to see if that solves the problem. maybe you could persuade someone to let you borrow theirs (if your lucky )

Electric High

off topic but holy Shiznizzles where you been bunyan?????!! good to see you again!

Electric High

i dont know, i had a GF, and it went downhill from there.... but now im single, and i have me a new PC case to mod! yay

its good to be back, glad someone remembers me

Master Modder

Electric High

Oh, you were missed. Glad to see you back and don't forget to take pics of the new project. Glad to see you also, Happy Modding.

Electric High

OK to me it sounds like you may have a very small amount of voltage leaking onto the neutral side of your PSU. Now this could be

A) A bad PSU or soon to be
    B) Your supply voltage to the PSU could be causing it.

Just for $h!# and giggles take the PC another part of the house, say the ktichen and try it there if you get the same results then it lies in your PC.

The reason I say the kitchen is that it should be on a totally different power circuit than the one you are on. A different outlet in your room would be on the same circuit. If you can't get it to the kitchen try a living room or family room outlet.

Lets us know if that made any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information