Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista RC1 is out!!

Clear Coat

Vista RC1 is out!!

I have gotten Vista RC1, and i have to say it is pretty freaking sweet.
    The design really hasnt changed much from xp, and almost none at all from beta 2.
    the only differences between beta 2 and RC1 that i have seen are:
    1) The startup screen has "Vista ultimate" instead of nothing or jsut "Vista"
    2) There is a nifty window switcher next to the desktop icon in quick launch area.
    this moves all of your windows in a diagonal (in 3D) stack so you can see most of all the windows and choose one.

So far i have installed 1 driver for my mouse, and Steam, Xfire, and Halo. so far the only one of those 4 things installed with no glitches: Xfire.

The mouse driver was no problem, it simply gave the mouse a default driver instead of logitech's (easily fixed), but so far steam and Halo are giving me issues.
    Steam needs to have write access to the files it installs, and for some unknown reason Windows likes to "read-only" all of the program files. I temporarily got around that by installing to a different hard drive, but as soon as Vista recognized that i had installed a program, it Read onlied my STEAM folder. I have an idea about fixing this, i am going to install from XP, and just place a shortcut on my desktop in Vista. I will post when i figure out if this works.

For halo, it is a similar problem: it "requires administrator priveleges to operate" and i am the only user account on the OS. I am going to try the same workaround that i mentioned above.

If you have a spare machine or partition get Vista and mess around. Its worth the cost (free until May-ish 2007) to play with.

Wet Sanded

Vista RC1 is out!!

Well blah at you then. If it don't run games, I dun want it.

Good overview though, by the way.

Clear Coat

Vista RC1 is out!!

Well the steam workaround seems to work right now, but Halo still resolutely wont work w/o the Admin rights that i already own. It seems somewhat retarded that Microsoft doesnt even support their own game, thats how it is right now.

Vista RC1 is out!!

good to hear as I was thinking about installing it, but if it wont work my games then it wont be installed ;-)

Vista RC1 is out!!

I hope we don't need DX10 to make this work with our games. LOL. Like AF says, it has to play my games or it's useless to me.

Vista RC1 is out!!

wait it wont run halo fudge it then! :lol:

Clear Coat

Vista RC1 is out!!

I finally got Halo running, i just installed using an account i created named Administrator.
    I also fixed the steam bug by changing the read/write permissions to full access for everyone.

As of yet, i have not installed FEAR Combat, but when i have a uncorrupted copy of the installer, its FEAR time.

Senior: you changing your mind about Vista now?

Clear Coat

Vista RC1 is out!!

Well, i finally got FEAR installed, but as of now, i cant get punkbuster to realize that i have admin credentials (on the administrator account) but for singleplayer and nonPB'ed servers FEAR works.

Vista RC1 is out!!

Sounds like they have a ways to go on it before I'll install it.

Vista RC1 is out!!

If it is like most M$ OS'es it will be a year before they get the games to work...unless they are M$ games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information