Thread: Shutdown Desktop Icon in XP

Shutdown Desktop Icon in XP

Here's a way to add a shutdown icon to your desktop in XP.

Right click the destop and select New

Click "Shortcut"

In the box type exactly with the spaces shown below:

shutdown -s -t 01

Hit Enter

Next, name your shortcut. It will already say 'shutdown', but you can put whatever you choose.

Then hit enter.

From now on you can just double click to shutdown your PC. No more having to go through the start menu. Even my 2 year old has mastered it.

TGS

You can also time it so it will shut itself down after x minutes or hours. It goes by seconds, so if you want to leave your computer on for 2 hours, it will be 60 (secs) x (120 minutes) = 7200.

Then you would put shutdown -s -t 7200 in the command line. If you want to shut it down after 3 hours, it would be 60 x 180 = 10800, and so forth.

Don't forget to add an abort to it, otherwise you're stuck and the shutdown process will continue. In order to do that, follow TGS's instructions, but instead of "shutdown -s -t xxx", add this in the command line, "%windir%System32shutdown.exe -a."

You're all set!

Here's a way to add a shutdown icon to your desktop in XP.

Right click the destop and select New

Click "Shortcut"

In the box type exactly with the spaces shown below:

shutdown -s -t 01

Hit Enter

Next, name your shortcut. It will already say 'shutdown', but you can put whatever you choose.

Then hit enter.

From now on you can just double click to shutdown your PC. No more having to go through the start menu. Even my 2 year old has mastered it.

TGS
    And this is how you add a Re-Boot short cut just follow the above but do the following.... "SHUTDOWN -r -t 01"

To add the finishing touch, right click on the new icon, select Properties, click the Change Icon button and select an appropriate icon.

Or if you want to do the complete job follow the below....

Step 2: Automatically kill tasks on shutdown.

Windows XP by default will ask you if you wish to end a process if an application is running during the shutdown process. This little registry change will tell Windows to automatically end the process without your confirmation.

Go to the Start menu and then select Run. In the Run box type in "regedit" and click on OK. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop and double click on the "AutoEndTasks". Change the value to 1 and click on OK.

Step 3: Reduce the wait time to kill open applications.

When you choose to shutdown your computer, Windows will automatically wait a little bit before it kills applications that are open. Here you how to reduce the wait time.

Go to the Start menu and then select Run. In the Run box type in "regedit" and click on OK. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop and double click on the "WaitToKillAppTimeout". Change the value to 1000 and click on OK. Double click on "HungAppTimeout" and change the value to 1000 then click on OK.

Step 4: Reduce the wait time for services to be shutdown.

Much like applications, Windows XP waits a bit for the services to shutdown before it starts killing them. Here is how to reduce the wait time.

Go to the Start menu and then select Run. In the Run box type in "regedit" and click on OK. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control. Double click on "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and change the value to 1000 then click on OK.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet ControlSession Manager Memory Management. Double click on "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" Default value: I New value; 0

Kill all orphaned .DLL's

It searchs through XP and any .DLL that has not been used and just clears them from the OS, it will help with stability and speed.

1 - Create shortcut on desktop and browse to C:WINDOWSsystem32rundll32.exe
    2 - After it is created right click it and go to properties Past the below in to "target"

%windir%system32Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Paste the below into "Start in"

%windir%

If you open Task Manager and click on the icon if it is set up correctly you will see a rundll32.exe appear monetarily (In Processes) and then disapear which means that it flushed correctly.

There are many different types of spray painting, the most common is the canned stuff you can buy at your local hardware store.
    (Sorry, but I dont have any actual pictures because I dont have a camera.)
    I usually start by sanding the area just a bit to give the primer something to catch on so it wont end up peeling off. You really dont need to sand the object too much, just a bit to make the surface feel a bit rough.
    Then after Im done sanding I wash the area off with a little bit of soap and water, make sure you rinse all the soap off, this is to get off all the dust and other stuff that can ruin a paint job. I then dry the object im going to paint with a clean rag.
    You can easily check out our best quality a+ notes exam dumps security plus practice test prepare you network plus book well for the real You can also get success in real exam of with the quality Pittsburg State University questions and ccie voice Tabor College answers.

Thread Information