Just put the wraps on a Christmas gift for a friend, a Fallout themed case! Now, I had never done a case like this, so I turned to the master of the effects, our own American Freak, and took his techniques and added a little on to them.
So, get ready to drink from the fire hose, as I lay down this build log over the next few days!
First some quick pics of where I started:
Dis-assembly of the case was pretty easy once you found all of the tabs. Before removing the base, however, you need to remove 4 small screws. Other than that, it was a tool free experience.
After that, you need to lightly scuff the surface of plastic parts. The red/maroon scotchbrite pads are perfect for this:
As you can see, I put some painters tape to mask off the inside of the power button. The fit tolerances are very tight on those locations, and the button, once installed, is flush mount. So nobody would see that there was no paint here. Fiiiiine by me!
You start by laying down browns, usually darker to lighter, in a random, non coverage type pattern. you want the colors to intersect, but not cover one another.
Let that cure, and then come over the top with.... wait for it... spurts of hairspray! Remember where you sprayed it. It's not like it is a full coverage coat. It is only where you are visualizing weak spots in the paint, that you will scuff/sand through later. The hairspray acts as an "adherence interfere" layer, so that later when you wet the area with warm water, and start scuffing that area, the paint will not have bonded to that area, and the paint will let go in a more natural way.... exposing the mottled browns underneath. After you have your hairspray down, then lay down your topcoat color. In my case, I was top coating with a Rustoleum "weathered steel" gray.
More in a bit!!!!