Thread: Fan controller

Clear Coat

Fan controller

I was thinking about making a fan controller for my friends computer(and maybe me too), and i wanted to have 5, 7, and 12 volt to all of the fans, with the option of off for each individual one. I was planning to base most of the work off of Xyvotha's Switchbay, and i was just wondering if somehow +5 got grounded into +5, what would happen?

If something horribly evil would happen (fry Ps/other components) i will probably just end up using Xyvotha's schematic. Also does anyone have schematics/parts list for a rheostat(i think) based fan controller?

Fan controller

why not use a varible rheostat ( i belive thats it ) on the 12volt line then you can change the amount of voltage the fans / leds are getting from 0-12 volts .

Clear Coat

Fan controller

I was just going to use switches because they are cheaper, and also i know how to wire up switches. Variable rheostats i havent played with. if someone has some schematics i would be willing to try. Also i think switches look more hardcore

Wet Sanded

Fan controller

I could write up a diagram for 3-way switches, one for each fan.. i think.. wait.. no.. it would be +12/+5/both... what kind are they? hmmm.... idk.. but i know how they would work. anyway, if you find these switches, of which i can make a diagram of how they work, i'll write up a schematics for the wiring if you want..

Oh, 5v grounding into 5v will indeed cancel out, but will in all certainty damage the fan chips, as they're not regulated since they're based on dc power.. i doubt it'll blow your psu though, just give it more strain.. Oh, also, the 7v trick, however functional, greatly decreses the life of your psu. i highly recommend against it.

Clear Coat

Fan controller

ok, well i will see if my fans will run on 5v, and if they can i can wire it up myself between 12v 15v and off.

Otherwise i am probably going to have to try wiring in some variable resistors to control power to the fans.

Fan controller

You want 5,7, and 12 with off? That would require two switchwes one single pole/single throw (on/off) and one triple pole/triple throw switch (multi voltages).

Now you could do the 7,12 with an off by using a Double pole/Double throw on-off-on swtich.

Clear Coat

Fan controller

i decided to ditch the 7v, so i am just going to get some DPDT switches that have a center off position.
    i just got some LED's off of ebay, so ill see if i can get a bright and dim setting off of the 12v and 5v.

Fan controller

this is pretty great, i planned on settin up my own fan controllers with potentiometers and some resisters.

Thread Information