Thread: Crazy Volts

Wet Sanded

Crazy Volts

Alright, I'm running a DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D, with a 3500+, an x850xtpe, and 1gb edge pc3200 ram on a 550w Ultra X-finity psu..

These are my Speedfan psu readings:
    +3.3V = +3.36
    +5V = +5.00 (wow)
    12V = +11.90
    -12V = -9.40 (BAD)
    -5V = -.33!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (VERY EXTREMELY BAD.. I think..)

So someone please clarify, is this a major problem or what? If anyone remembers my other thread, there is somehow a grounding problem somewhere, but anywhere that metal is bare or exposed, electricity can be easily felt.. Hopefully/maybe there's a link? There has never been any problems with the power of the pc.. No weird crashes, bsods, or anything.

Crazy Volts

Did the board come with its own software to monitor the voltage with? Sometimes the multi purpose programs are not %100 correct.

Crazy Volts

Most boards dont use the -12v anymore, and your other volts look fine.

Crazy Volts

Speed fan is great I use it and love it..but, depending on the board it sometimes reads stuff wonky. I mean it read my temps at like 146C which is not even close to right. If the board comes with software I would use that. If not check the bios. I'm betting speedfan is just confused.

Crazy Volts

Alright, I'm running a DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D, with a 3500+, an x850xtpe, and 1gb edge pc3200 ram on a 550w Ultra X-finity psu..

+3.3V = +3.36
    +5V = +5.00 (wow)
    12V = +11.90
    -12V = -9.40 (BAD)

So someone please clarify, is this a major problem or what? If anyone remembers my other thread, there is somehow a grounding problem somewhere, but anywhere that metal is bare or exposed, electricity can be easily felt.. Hopefully/maybe there's a link? There has never been any problems with the power of the pc.. No weird crashes, bsods, or anything.
    No boards use -5V anymore, so that reading is bogus.

Most boards don't use -12V, so that reading is probably bogus too.

As far as being zapped by bare metal (sorry I missed that thread) I'd bet dollars to donuts that the outlet isn't grounded or the chassis isn't grounded to the PSU.

On my test rig, I use a decapitated power cord. I didn't bother wiring up the ground, just the black and white. But after leaning into the case with sweaty arms a couple times and getting zapped, I decided to tie the green wire to a ground.

Crazy Volts

Hello an Welcome johnnyGURU!

Crazy Volts

The GURU speaks on PSU's

Wet Sanded

Crazy Volts

+3.3V = +3.36
    +5V = +5.00 (wow)
    12V = +11.90
    -12V = -9.40 (BAD)

No boards use -5V anymore, so that reading is bogus.

Most boards don't use -12V, so that reading is probably bogus too.

As far as being zapped by bare metal (sorry I missed that thread) I'd bet dollars to donuts that the outlet isn't grounded or the chassis isn't grounded to the PSU.

On my test rig, I use a decapitated power cord. I didn't bother wiring up the ground, just the black and white. But after leaning into the case with sweaty arms a couple times and getting zapped, I decided to tie the green wire to a ground.
    Okay good, that takes a worry off of my mind.

The not grounding thing is just not possible; I wired the electricty in my basement myself, and I've reinstalled the psu 3 or 4 times now, to no avail... and the cord I've already replaced too, just in case. I'm still stumped on that one..

Oh, and here's the thread for that: Link - Clicky

Thread Information