Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Military Tech - A fundraising project in support of veterans

Project: Military Tech - A fundraising project in support of veterans

Name:  TestSig.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  20.3 KB

** WARNING: This build log, like all the others will take some time because I'm poor but with the help of sponsors we will quicken this up. More sponsors = quicker build :thumb:

Good Afternoon my fellow modding enthusiasts,

So I have tossed around the idea of doing a US Military themed mod and build, then doing a raffle drawing locally charging a small fee for the tickets. The winner would win the build and the proceeds raised from the raffle would be split between the local Veterans of Foreign Wars posts. I know I won't have any problem getting the local VFW post to get behind the project as I am a member. Other sponsors like Lowes/Home Depot is going to be slightly harder, maybe impossible. My thought would be to allow them to display the build once complete with details on how to join the raffle.

Parts List (Will be updated as time progresses)
    Main Components

• Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X170-EXTREME ECC
    • Processor: TBD
    • RAM: 8GB HYPERX SAVAGE DDR4
    • HDD: TBD
    • PSU: TBD
    • CPU Cooler: TBD
    • Graphics: TBD
    • Blu-Ray Drive: TBD
    • Monitor: TBD
    • Keyboard: TBD
    • Mouse: TBD
    • Fans: Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition

Case Parts

• Phobya Vandal Resistant "Momentary" Bulgin Switch - 23mm - Black - White Ring LED
    • Phobya SlimGuide Fan Controller
    • Phobya Thermometer with Digital Display
    • Darkside Front Panel I/O Connection Kit
    • DarkSide 5mm CONNECT Modular LED - Red
    • DarkSide 5mm CONNECT Modular LED - White
    • DarkSide 12" CONNECT Dimmable Rigid LED Strip
    • Phobya PCI Airslots - Black
    • Toggle Switches

Specialty Modding/Misc

• Sleeving: Paracord from TheParacordStore.com
    • Cable Combs: 3D printed by DreamPC
    • Cable Rubber Grommet Round
    • Sheet Aluminum
    • Sheet Diamond Plate
    • Sheet CoPolyester
    • U Channel trim

Tools

• Drill w/ bits
    • Jigsaw w/ Metal Blades
    • Dremel 395 Multitool w/ cutting wheels/grinding stones
    • Metal files
    • Molex tools
    • Alphacool Eisplateau Anti-Static Mat

So without further ado... lets meet the patient:

Case Acquisition
    Was dropping off my trash at the local "convenience center" when i notice off in the distance tucked in between some broken CRT TVs, lays a piece of future treasure. A quick "May I..." to the guy running the center and I was off and running with my newest beige modding case.

Bask in the sexy beige awesomeness...

Look at that nicely rounded beveled front.

And that interior... *wolf whistles... laughs... then preps the saw*

Gotta love that old hardware... 64MB RAM used to be the gold standard *laughs* those were the days

And of course a quick shot of some paint I picked up for the project

This case seemed like it would be a good platform for my military mod, so I brought up Sketchup and drafted some rough designs.

Design Concept #1 - WARNING: These concepts are guaranteed to change in one shape or another as the road progresses.

Here's my first quick concepts so let me know what you think. For the side window, I'm debating what symbol I will do the window..... I'm torn between either a grenade or a fighter jet. *UPDATE* Someone also mentioned doing a Jet/Ship/Humvee style design so I will have to play with that a bit.

The SSD will get vinyl covered to be the stars in the flag and will sit behind a plexiglass window. Cooling for this project is undecided. If I get to do watercooling or at least an Aio, I'm thinking a 240 rad in the front will work just fine.

New Window Concept
    Design Concept #2

Updated front panel and inside hardware
    Design Concept #3

I also manged to pick up these handles for free out of a trash pile( brand new) so I decided to mock them up

Look at this lack of cable management space, looks like I might be making a new backplate so I can shift things over.

Time to remove that old dated hardware
    Out with the Old

Look at all the modding potential...

Used an old ATX motherboard to test fit, I even squeeze an optical drive to test the clearance. I tried to put my Corsair TX650 PSU in there as well, but I couldn't get it to fit because of the coverplate that extends from the optical bays. This case wasn't made for a fully ATX PSU I guess. Time to break out the tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jemin; 11-28-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

I'm super excited to announce, for those that noticed...... We are now officially sponsored!

Our first sponsor that I'm pleased to announce is ModMyMods.com

They have graciously agreed to handle the lighting and the needed cables to make that work. Additionally, they were nice enough to include the Vandal LED switch, zip ties and some rubber grommets for the cable pass through. Working with ModMyMods couldn't have been any more enjoyable. They were always quick to get back to me and always professional. Once the parts arrive I will get some hardware shots posted.

In the meantime, I need to get my "photo studio" *cough cough* set up.
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

Figured I'd mock up some quick cardboard shrouds to see how clean it would make it look. I'm definitely in favor of the top shroud but I'm still a little uncertain about the front shroud. I wanted to test fit my Corsair TX650 but the placement of the prefab shroud was too narrow to allow me to squeeze the PSU up into the space. The PSU that was in the case was almost half the size of that Corsair.

Then the teardown begins with drilling out all those rivets to remove the top panel.

I had planned on using the optical bays and turning the hdd bay 90 degrees.... but as you can see gotta love old non-modular assembly.

As you might've guessed previously, the front, back and motherboard tray are all ONE piece So taking off the bottom panel is definitely being a chore. Where the holes are used to be a tiny dot that welded the two pieces together. Since I don't plan on welding it back together, drilling out the welds allows me to rivet the case back together instead.

But as you can see, popping all those welds have bent up the edge a bit. Going to need to give it a good speaking to with my mallet

Modders Unite!

Update 9/30/16

So is everyone enjoying the updates?

Well it’s time to do some more tearing down and overall destruction of the case. First, let’s remove those nasty yellowed case feet.

Next, we can finish taking off the bottom panel. Breaking the remaining welds along the side were only a slight annoyance. All that’s left is the front/tray/back one-piece.

Everything is apart, now we can start marking cuts.

Before cutting the panels apart, lets test fit our drive bays for clearances. Looks like everything will fit nicely.

In testing out the new motherboard IO panel placement, I went from 5mm clearance to 12mm. I would’ve liked to get more out of it, but that’s all I can do and still have room for a 120mm exhaust. But I think it will give me just enough to hide the cables like I need and fit the SSD in it’s place.

Now everything has been spaced out and adjusted…. Lets break out the jigsaw! Welp, need to fix it first. The blade arm retention spring had broke in half, so I had to use my ingenuity and use a spacer and new spring to fix. Then I adjusted the bottom runner so the blade is back in place and secure.

And… now we start cutting. First we cut up the one piece monstrosity. Now the motherboard tray and front panel is separate.

Yes I hear you saying, “But wait James, where’d the back panel go?” I give you my new PSU bracket, all that I’m keeping from the back panel(unless I steal the mesh from it later). My plan is to have the bracket that gets screwed onto the PSU, then you can slide it into the case and secure the bracket with 2 thumbscrews. I also found out I need to cut the bracket opening just a bit more to allow for the extruded power supply plug on the newer PSU models.

Then we can cut down the new drive bays to fit two optical drives and 2 HDDs. And lets test the look.

Well I didn’t care for it too much, so I broke the bottom bracket off. It was just too big and clunky. Instead I will hold it with an old optical bay cover similar to what I did in my Double Dragon build.

I like the new placement and design, so let’s line up the optical bays with the front panel hole…. It fits perfectly with the new motherboard tray placement. Time to drill some holes for our mounting solution.

So in closing, my father in law walked up to me yesterday evening after getting back from Harbor Freight and tossed these to me and said “Happy Birthday.” I’m not sure if I should tell him my birthday was back in May…… oh well, I can’t complain. I can now stop losing screws and make more accurate measurements.

Until next time…. Let me know what you think, I always love to hear from my friends here in the modding community.
    Modders Unite!

Update 10/4/16

Assembled the drive bays together to test fit and make sure I drilled the holes in the right spots. This is temporary as I will take it apart for painting. I did notice I'm going to have to figure out a solution to mount it also to the top panel as well for extra support.

Marked up the motherboard tray for location of grommets and other cuts that will be needed

Marked the cut of the front panel that will be replaced with mesh and painted.

First box from the sponsors(ModMyMods.com)
    Feels like Christmas morning!

Packed tighter than soldiers in a cattle car

Some Darkside magic....

Cable management supplies.... glad I'm moving that motherboard tray to make room

Mmm... look at those clean black sleeved cables

Vandal switches... I've always wanted to use one of these

Darkside strip unsheathed... all those LEDs

Front panel extensions

Why have dimmable LED strips without a dimmer?

Nice clean black vented PCI covers

PWM splitter

*flex* always love product flair(*thinks he might need to incorporate this into the build... since they were the first onboard*)

*drool* That work mat is so nice. The material feels superb! I can't wait to get this laid out on my area.
    Modders Unite!

Update 10/5/16

I realized that I never posted anything about the projected completion date. *So for those who care about project timeline/deadlines, here you go! *For everyone else, I give you a peek of what the next update will be about.

Timeline of Project

- September 30th 2016 - Case design finalized
    - October 31st 2016 - Case cutting and layout complete
    - November 30th 2016 - Any additional fabrication complete
    - December 31st 2016 - Case painting complete

- January 31st 2017 - Case assembly complete
    - February 28th 2017 - Project: Military Tech case customization to be complete
    - March 1st 2017 - Raffle begins

* * - Advertising push starts
    * * - Finalize case display schedule

- May 29th 2017 - Raffle winner announced and check presented to VFW
    representative at local Memorial Day Ceremony

And the tedious cutting work with xacto knife....

Modders Unite!

Update 10/6/16

Our next steps in fabrication work..... begins with our sexy new workspace thanks to our Alphacool mat.

Then we can get the placement of our Flag on the side panel

Cut out the star block where the SSD will line up and we can mark it up for cuts

Then drill the start holes for our favorite jigsaw.

Switching gears to the SSD cover itself, we first make our cardboard mockup

Then we can mark out the bends and cuts on the small sheet of plexi I have. It's super thin and should bend pretty easy. I need to make my bending station and procure some heat source to bend it. Also you can see the cuts marked out to make the drive bay cover door.

So we got our soldier memorial piece printed out to the correct size(just about 6" tall)

And the tedious work begins cutting out the design.

The outlines have been completed. detail cuts for the rifle and helmet will be done on the painter's mask once in place.

Modders Unite!

Update 10/10/16

Some friends came from out of state to visit this weekend so no work was able to be done. However, I did do some design tweaks and updates to the concepts. Wanted to show everyone my plan for the diamond plating.

Also cut the window design out of the side panel to replace the image that was the placeholder.

It was also brought to my attention that I never posted my explanation of the side window design. Here is how the design incorporates all 5 branches of the US Military.

- The tank = U.S. Army
    - The aircraft carrier = U.S. Navy
    - The jet = U.S. Air Force
    - The tank + the aircraft carrier = U.S. Marines
    - The aircraft carrier + the jet = U.S. Coast Guard

Additionally, a local PC builder has agreed to cover any 3D printing I might need. So I came up with this GPU backplate and Fan Grill. What do you guys think?

As always let me know what you think.
    Modders Unite!

Looking good bud. Cool idea for that flag cut-out on the right side panel.

Quote Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
    Looking good bud. Cool idea for that flag cut-out on the right side panel.
    Thank you and welcome aboard!

I have updated the GPU backplate to be more appropriate to honor those serving and given their live.

The next updates will be a little slow as I'm waiting for my material sponsors to send me everything. In the meantime I will be focusing on completing my entry for the Gigabyte challenge, "Blue Fury". The case is supposed to arrive Wednesday and I'm pretty excited to start tearing it apart and get to painting.

http://www.modders-inc.com/forums/sh...lue-Fury-Entry
    Modders Unite!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information