“The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

The opening line from The Gunslinger, the first book in Stephen Kings epic that follows the quest of Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger, for the Dark Tower. The Dark Tower series has to be my favorite, mixing western, sci-fi, apocalypse, magic, the current world, and quite a few characters from King's other books, and even King himself, into one big stew of a story. It's amazing. *Except for the lobster things. Da-da-chum. I hated Stephen King for a few days after that. If you've read the stories, you'll know. But with the new Dark Tower movie slated to come out next year and the stars of that movie tweeting things like:

And even King telling us that this is the next time around...

I haven't been this excited for a movie for a while. And with so much story to take from, I thought, this might be a great idea for a mod. Or even two...

So let's get started on The Gunslinger.

- - - Updated - - -

"Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower. And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?..."- Walter O'Dim, The Gunslinger

The plan for The Gunslinger is to rework some of the internals more to my liking, add a custom cooling loop to the cpu and gpu, and to bring in some themes from the movie, mostly in relation to the Gunslinger, while the outside will get a brick look to mimic the walls of the Dark Tower.

Let's start with the case, a Cooler Master MasterCase5 Maker.

I really like this case. The styling isn't exactly my cup of tea, but for an all around case to build in, it's got a lot of neat little tricks up it's sleeve. And you can take it down pretty far with just a screwdriver.

Which nets you a pretty good pile of parts.

After tearing it down, out came the drill to get rid of some rivets. Why do my cases always seem to start out looking like this?

In order to move things around, the back panel needs to be....adjusted. I hate the standard way cases lay out, there just seems to be a lot of room that you really can't do anything with. To fix this, I plan on sitting the psu on it's side and move the mb tray to the center of the case, dividing it in two. The psu side will house, obviously, the psu, and also the drives and pump and any incidentals that I need to mount somewhere. The other side will get the motherboard, the gpu flipped pretty side out on a riser and some "decorations". So to make the back panel work, I've cut everything out except for the edges.

Once that was cleaned up, I fit a piece of .080" aluminum to give me a nice clean panel to work with. That way I can mount hardware wherever I choose.

Additionally, I've cut a piece of .040" aluminum to give me a nice clean floor.

Next up, motherboard tray.