Thread: Project: HoloView

Project: HoloView

Hey guys! I have a sponsored project on the works! EVGA was generous enough to send me some of their awesome hardware. This is a EVGA and Thermaltake sponsored project, and I named it "HoloView". Thermaltake was awesome enough (as always) to send me one of their View 27 chassis and some of their water cooling components. This will be a quick (hopefully) and simple project but will add a special feature to it (hopefully I could pull it off properly).

A huge shout out to the sponsors!

Here's some of the components that will go in to this project.

Yesterday I was able to test fit some components and tear the View 27 down to confirm some measurements and some possible radiator placements. The plan was to rotate the computer case 90 degree so the front panel will be the bottom of the case and the top will be the front panel.

Here was my plan, either I will have the 360mm radiator in front and have the 240mm radiator at the bottom or the opposite way around. Originally, I thought I could use the area below the power supply for mounting a 240mm radiator but the power supply that I will be using is a bit long and will have some interference once the power cables are connected. So instead of doing that, I will mount a 140mm fan below the power supply as intake.

Now that I have a rough idea of where and what components for water cooling are going to fit in, next will be taking measurements for the custom side panel, cutting out the 140mm fan mount on the back and making the custom front panel for the 240mm radiator. But that will be for the next update. :P

That's it for this first update for the HoloView project. Thank you EVGA and Thermaltake, as always, for giving another opportunity to me for this project! See you in the next one! Ciao! :thumb:

Banned
    I'm not in the topic - what a cool tattoo on your arm!

Quote Originally Posted by owlowl001 View Post
    I'm not in the topic - what a cool tattoo on your arm!
    LOL! Thanks man! I need to visit a tat shop to get the colors restored. It's been in my arm for 7 years now. Haven't visited a tat shop ever since. :P

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE #2

Hey Guys!

Update time! And yes, I am still alive! Did some work for the past weeks for the project after finishing up some important commitments. Shall we begin?

Did some more measuring on the view 27 chassis to confirm if the radiators will fit in without having clearances issues, which it had. I tried to fit x2 slim 360mm radiators from Thermaltake, and it looks like the radiator for the front will have one issue. I won't be able to connect the 8 pin power connector for the CPU on the motherboard.

I did not noticed the issue at first so I trimmed the front panel (was the top side of the case before) to fit the 360mm radiator without having any interference issues with the side panel.

After trimming the chassis, I found a scrap acrylic sheet that was laying around the basement for probably 3 years now, I took that to make it as a "front panel template" for mounting the fans on the chassis.

But then, that was the time when I noticed the issue with the radiator and the 8 pin power connector of the motherboard. I could plug the cable in, but it is going to be TIGHT to the point wherein the connector on the motherboard is being forced down to some scary degree.

So instead of forcing the dual slim 360mm radiator, I decided to just use one thick 360mm radiator and just have 3 fans as intake on the front panel.

After that, I went ahead and draw some random lines and circles as the design for the front panel. And then after that, I went ahead and tried throw an aluminum sheet on my cnc (SO3) just to see if it's going to crap on me. If it did, I will mostly end up making a new design that is not too complicated to do by hand. But my CNC was on a somewhat good mood that day, aaaaaaaand......

I said "somewhat" on a good mood because........ Sometimes my CNC will decide to not follow the .gcode instructions and just do some random lines around the material that I am cutting. In this case, I was on the 95% before completion of the job, but then the CNC decided to go deeper on the cut instead of following the gcode, aaaaaaaaaaand.....
    I ended up having a broken cutting bit and an unfinished job.

So I went ahead and did the cutting the old fashion way..

After a few minutes of filing, I ended up with this front panel.

Grabbed a Coolermaster Jetflo 120mm fan that I had laying around and it on the front panel. I just wanted to see what the cut out will look like once there's an LED fan attached to it.

Kinda looks cool but I need the MasterFan Pro RGB version. I am hoping that it will become available here before the end of this month.

The front panel was a bit long, but that was quickly fixed with a jigsaw and a hand file.

After that, I went back to the drawing board (CAD) to try and come up with a mount for the Pump/Reservoir combo that Thermaltake provided. I recently purchased a small 3D printer before the end of last year and threw in my cad design to the 3D printer. I came up with this. I ended up with this kind of mount since the most logical (for me at least) place to put the pump/res combo is on the back side close to the power supply. This way, it'll be much easier to run tubing around.

That's all for me for this update. Side panel mount, sliding rods for the side panel, the side panel itself. Hopefully I could get those done for the coming next 2 weeks. See you on the next update! Ciao! :biggrin:

Thread Information