A few shots of the hardware - looking forward to playing with this!
Hello and welcome to Project Hades by Darwin PC!
Hades was the ancient Greek god of the underworld, a son of Titans and brother of Zeus and Poseidon. As Project Hades will feature an inverted ATX conversion, the underworld theme made sense. I have a few mods planned to make this build stand out.
- Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
- CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
- GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Super JetStream
- Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4
- PSU: Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ gold modular
- CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240
- Cabling: Custom-sleeved with E22 Teleios
Thanks to the following sponsors for making this project possible: Cooler Master, Gigabyte, Palit and Kingston / HyperX.
I did a quick test build to make sure everything was working. Assembly was straightforward, although it took some clever positioning of the CPU cooler radiator and fans to not put strain on the tubing.
The test build booted perfectly first time, and with no SSD connected, went straight into the UEFI/BIOS.
The CPU temperatures were good, and the BIOS made easy work of adjusting the fan curves and pump speed. I did have to swap the pump cable to a different fan header, as the ‘pump’ header on the mobo couldn’t control the speed (in voltage or PWM mode). It worked fine on a different header though.
I began work on the case modding. The first task was to invert the motherboard.
Here's the case during stripping down, with most of the panels removed.
Most of the removeable modules use these retained thumbscrews, which I find pretty useful for not losing the things.
This is the fan and LED controller on the back.
All parts removed from the case.
The case completely stripped down.
Checking the placement of the motherboard within the case.
Starting to drill out rivets. I had originally planned to completely disassemble each section, but then decided to keep the middle section intact, and remove the top and bottom sections then swap them over.
Removing rivets from the corner brackets.
Bottom section removed.
Top section removed.
Checking alignment for reassembly.
There was a lip in the middle of the top section that prevented the corner joints from lining up.
I cut off the lip with the Dremel.
Here is the top section in place.
On test fitting the IO panel, I found it was blocked by another lip on the front section.
This part was also removed.
Edges cleaned up ready for the IO panel.
The IO panel now fits perfectly.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)