Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP ASAP

HELP ASAP

The mobo on my pentium 3 died last night and my dad being nice told me I could use his computer, but if I wanted to download anything I'd have to put it on a secondary hd.

Problem is I have no clue how to do this, because my dad's computer is freaking weird, instead of the regular cable with the master and slave, all there is, is a thin red cable.
    There is a slot for the regular cable but when I use that it boots up the 2nd hard drive first.

I tried to contact hp tech support but they said, even after countless times of me telling them that it was impossible, "just plug in the hard drive into the slave and it'll work"

My dad's computer is an HP Pavilion a1540n if that helps any.

HELP ASAP

Thin red cable you say? Sounds like his HD is SATA. Does that sound correct?

Go into the bios before the compy boots up and see if you can assign it to boot from SATA or somehow assign a boot drive. I can't tell you where because HP probably has a funky bios. Just have to look around.

HELP ASAP

Agrees with the big Dog.

Wet Sanded

HELP ASAP

Agrees with Tazz and Shel, including that you could possibly, if need be, run off of your old hdd on his comp..

Clear Coat

HELP ASAP

install your HD, the enter the BIOS (usually delete, but for HP might be F8 or F2 -- it will say when it is starting up)
    what you do is go into bios look for startup options or advanced options.
    find the option labeled "hard drive boot priority" or something like that, then change it so your dads original drive is first on the list and your drive is second.
    (the drives should be labeled by company name so make sure to check.)

HELP ASAP

I disagree, and shame on you for telling him LIES!

Go out and buy a new computer. That will solve all your problems.

Clear Coat

HELP ASAP

This is a temporary fix so that he can download stuff... obviously he wants to fix his compy/ buy a new one as soon as possible, he just wants to use his dads for a while

Wet Sanded

HELP ASAP

I'm pretty sure he was just being, as Tazz called it, a smartbutt.

HELP ASAP

yeah, I just need to use my dad's comp for a while till I find a comp that isnt an HP
    (I dislike HP for a few reasons...so if you want to know just pm me)

HELP ASAP

I don’t like any pre-built systems nor do I suggest ever getting one. Although, not this next upcoming computer, but the one after it will be pre-built by Falcon. Their wire jobs are to die for and they offer the top technology as soon, even before it reaches NEWEGG.Com. ONLY down side to going with Falcon is the 10,000 dollar price tag that I will have with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information