Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Industrial Switchboard

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Howdy folks. I have started getting parts together for the computer that will be setup in my shop. Here are the specs of the machine so far:
    Motherboard - Asus A7M266
    Processor - AMD Athlon 2200XP (Thobred Core), Heatsink & fan - Thermaltake Volcano 11
    Graphics - PNY GeForce3 Ti200, 64mg of memory
    Memory - Kingston PC2700, 512mg
    HDD - WD 40gig PATA
    Onboard sound
    LAN - 54Mbps 802.11g
    CDRW - Optorite Model CW5207 52x32x52
    PS - Enermax 300watts
    The air cool at this time is temp. I want to water cool this thing to see what I can get out of it. So I have 2 case frames and both are to small for putting in water cooling, so I've thought about joining the two together. One case is a old AT case and the other is a ATX. So I have pics of the frames to show you what I have.

Yes, that is my wheelchair in the second pic. I say that because I have been asked about objects in the background before so I thought I would give out that info before hand. I have thought about removing the top 1/3 of the top case. The indention on the right side of the top case in the second pic will be filled by a radiator when I install the water cooling system. So my question is should I remove the top 1/3 or leave it and also what do you think so far. The skin will be the Mahogany plywood that is in behind the cases. All comments and ideas are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

:idea:

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Have done a little work on my shop case. First off I had two frames that had to be fastened together which I did by clamping the two frames together with a couple of C clamps and drilling a few holes for the pop rivets.

I put in 6 rivets, 3 down each side of the frames. Here are a few shots with the frames together.

The top frame is a AT case while the bottom is a ATX. Right now my plan is to house the water cooling parts will be in the upper section while the mobo and such will be in the bottom. Now that I have the two frames together I washed and primered and painted the frames. Here is the finished product so far.

At this time my plans are to house the HDD, DVD drive and floppy drive all in the 5.25 drive bay area so to leave the rest of the bottom area open for easy air flow. Even cooling with water you still need some air flow and I plan to make it flow easy as possible. All comments and ideas are welcomed, plus Happy Modding to ya. :idea:

Wet Sanded

Industrial Switchboard

I wish I could see these pics. Sounds like it's coming along nicely. I expect a lot if it's coming from you btw.

Industrial Switchboard

Looking good bilko, got interested in how the final casing is going to look.

Spli you cant see his pics? They are hosted on pictiger and show fine on this end.

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Thanks Tazz and SplitLip for your comments. I'm sorry you can't see the pics Split, I believe that you are the only one that can't see them. As far as the skin for the case is concerned, at this time my only material that I have available is Mahogany wood but that may change later down the line. Any suggestion on brands for my water cooling system? This system will have to be purchased one piece at a time but I do want a high quality product, so any advice on which cpu block and pump to purchase would be a great help. I am planning on using 1/2 inch tubing and a radiator for a 2x120mm fans. Also have been thinking about using 2 radiators, 1 with 2x120mm fans and 1 with 1x120mm fan because I'm thinking about putting my SLI system in this case and cool both graphic cards with water also. Happy Modding to ya.

Industrial Switchboard

Cool. Man you are kicking out some good stuff lately. You Da man.

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Thanks for the encouragement Sheldog23. It's because of you, Tazz, AF and others that have given me the will to try new adventures in modding. All of you are my Mentors. Thank you so much.

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Just a short update from some skin work. I decided not to just use the Mahogany but to include the steel from the case covers. Both of the cases had 1 piece over the top covers. The bottom frame is now attached by way of pop rivets so the cover wasn't going back on any time soon so I cut it into 3 pieces today.

The right had side piece was cut a tad short across the top to make room for the piano hinge that will allow the right side to open like a gull wing.

The left side will be joined with the upper portion into a door that will open from the front to the back also with a piano hinge attached to the rear of the frame.

The top portion of the cover is just hanging there just to see what it looked like for possible ideas. All cuts were done with a Black & Decker jig saw since it was all straight line cuts and safety glasses were a must have. All ideas and comments are welcomed and remember Happy Modding to ya. :idea:

Wet Sanded

Industrial Switchboard

I logged onto my dad's pc so i can see this -- nicely done. BTW, how many pcs do you actually have/use?

LOL man, re-reading this, I have noticed that no one has answered you questions yet. Alright: My ideas:
    Cut that top off, Make it just how you want it to be.
    I don't know much about watercooling, but my understanding is that DD is good for starters, and read reviews. What i've heard a lot of, is that people get kits then swap bad parts out - either right away or when the money comes. I also think you should kick out an awesome custom rad. I can't say specific parts though.

I like where this is now, and I hope to check in on it when I can.

Master Modder

Industrial Switchboard

Thanks for the reply SplitLip. At this time there are 5 computers hooked to the house network. My mother and wife have 1 each and I have 2 for gaming and surfing, email and stuff like that. Then I have Cash Box running Smoothwall before the line goes into the Buffalo Wireless G router which also has 4 ports for wired hookups. Cash Box will be modified again to turn it into a media server and firewall later. This computer I'm working on will replace Red Lantern for gaming and then RL will be used for surfing and email and then Black & Blue will go into my shop/train room for programming my locomotives. Programming locomotives that have a decoder for sounds and starting/stopping voltages and momentum. Digital has come into model railroading now. Thanks for the info on the water cooling also. Happy Modding to ya.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information