Thread: Overwatch Case Mod - Lucio

Overwatch Case Mod - Lucio

Hey all, I'm on to my next build already (no rest for the weary modder!) During my Speeder build, of which Corsair became a sponsor, they approached me about participating in their mod contest. How could I refuse? All entries will be Overwatch themed, so I chose the character Lucio as the subject of my build. I'm using Corsair's Crystal 460X mid tower case, so this is the design I came up with:

It will have a full scale 3D printed Sonic Amplifier mounted inside, with the front coming through the front of the case. And with any luck (and time permitting), it will have working lights and sounds.

Corsair has graciously provided me with the case, as well as a bevy of other great components to use in this build..

Crystal 460x Mid-Tower Case

RM850 Modular Power Supply

H100i 240mm AIO cooler

RGB 120mm 3-Fan Kit

Commander Pro RGB and Lighting Node RGB LED strips

MP500 120Gb M.2 drive

Vengeance 16Gb RGB Memory kit

I've already started printing the parts for the Sonic Amplifier gun. I was fortunate to find a complete 3D model online, so that saved me a ton of time not having to create it myself..

There are quite a few parts for this thing, so I'll be printing pieces for the next couple weeks.

This is where a printer with a large print volume comes in handy. The Rostock Max has a 10"D x 15.75"H print area, so I dont have to slice pieces like this front disc..

Progress will be fast and furious on this project, as it has to be complete by September. So updates will be sporadic at best lol.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Corsair for inviting me to partake in this competition, and I wish all my fellow modders best of luck!

www.bods-mods.com

That's very interesting. Come to think about it, I haven't seen a Lucio themed mod before.

Update time.. I finally got pretty much all the parts printed for the Sonic Amplifier! There are a few more that I won't be needing, such as the hose pieces and hose ends, since I will be integrating the blaster into the watercooling loop, and will be using actual tubing and Primochill fittings on it.

I assembled the parts to see how they all fit together, using just some tape and rubber bands..

There's still quite a bit of work to do on these parts before I can permanently glue them together. I need to smooth them all out with epoxy putty and sand, then paint, then fit the speakers and light rings in and wire them up. And finally, in order to run the wc tubing inside the blaster, I'll need to hollow out the grip and lower hose attachment. So that will be tonight's task while I wait for more hardware to arrive.
    www.bods-mods.com

Stepping away from the blaster for a moment, I thought I'd make some new case feet. I obtained a nice detailed reference pic of Lucio's skates, and will be replicating it for the feet on the case.

We're just gonna do the bottom part of the skate, not the whole boot. After drawing up some vector shapes, I had Primochill cut some acrylic pieces for me... 3/8" UV green for the blade..

..and 1/4" black for the side pieces. I opted to cut individual pieces because I love puzzles. :P

Actually, having separate pieces lets me bevel the edges before gluing them onto the side of the blade. After the edge treatment, I used a piece of tape to hold them all together, then glued them all simultaneously to the blade.

Here are all 4 skates assembled.. You can see the beveled edges better here.

Now it's time to prepare the bottom of the case. These feet have to go!

Positioning the skates, it looks like I will have to remove the raised part of the panel that is threaded so they lay flat. There are also a few rivets in the way, so they will be replaced with flush mount rivets.

And finally, since these skates need to glow, I gotta figure out the best way to light them up. I have some green 3mm leds with pigtails, but I think some short UV led strips will do the trick quite nicely. I just create a channel in the top of the blade for them to sit in, and then I'll put another piece of black acrylic over that to cap it. And that will also give me a good surface to screw into when I mount them to the case.

Thanks for reading, 'til next time!
    www.bods-mods.com

Thread Information