Thread: XFX GeForce 7900 GT 470M 256MB VIVO

XFX GeForce 7900 GT 470M 256MB VIVO

Today we are going to take a look at one of XFX's 7900 GT video cards. The $200.00 - $300.00 price range of cards seems to bring many options with it for gamers to choose from. To make the choice even more difficult the card manufactures are breaking things up a few steps further by offering factory over-clocked cards at several levels. If your looking at getting a 7900 GT powered card you can expect to have a wide selection to choose from. In a quick search I found 27 different versions of the 7900 GT while only checking three manufactures sites, keep in mind there are many more manufactures out there.

Read the full review here.

Wet Sanded

Great review, again.

Some concerns before reading:
    256mb cut it?
    DX9 about to be outdated?
    What does 470M Mean?

Answers:
    Not specifically addressed as far as I can tell.
    Hinted at
    Yes

After reading concerns:
    Printer friendly version has no header
    graphs dont print with the animation, however INSANELY cool
    Pictures don't fit on my screen when click on and have no scroll bar, so I missed a big section of a few pics.

I really enjoyed it though, nice, well taken pics, good animations, and it kept me interested through all five pages.

Good stuff Tazz.

Great review, again.

Some concerns before reading:
    256mb cut it?
    What does 470M Mean?
    256mb should cut it for mid range. It's not powerful enough to most likely utilize a larger memory. I think it would make some difference but it would be minor.

DX9 will still be utilized for another year at least (probably longer). If you didn't want to spend a bunch of money while you were waiting for the DX10 games then a card in this range is good for that wait.

470M? have no idea. Tazz is gonna have to answer that one.

my 2cents.

256mb cut it?
    It more than cuts it for my gaming style, bumping to 512 probably wouldn't offer me an increase in performance seeing that I still game at 1280x1024. If you run 1600x1200 or higher I am sure you will see a difference.

As Shel stated DX9 cards are not going to be outdated for a while. There are still a lot of people out there that play games that where designed for DX7 or lower. Running a game that is designed for DX10 on a DX9 shouldn't be a problem. I am sure they will allow for this to be done, it will just not be as glorified as it could be.

What does 470M Mean?
    The 470M indicates the 470MHz clock rate the card comes at. XFX offers a wide range of similar model cards and they specify the clock in the descriptions to help keep things straight. Thats my assumption anyways. Out of the 3 XFX cards I have here, they are all tagged in this manor.

Pictures don't fit on my screen when click on and have no scroll bar, so I missed a big section of a few pics.

I really enjoyed it though, nice, well taken pics, good animations, and it kept me interested through all five pages.
    No Header?

The information on the PrinterFriendly version is minimal images/excess tags/content. The header it shows (what I consider the header) is the one MI logo and the listing of the Posted On, Reviewer, Product, Product Link, Supplied By, and Price.

The graphs where meant not to load till they was clicked, keep it a mystery so to speak :wink:, we want people to read and click the graphs as they get to them rather than skim and only look for graphs.

The pictures, they are the full unedited screenshots, so if the tested res was 1600x1200 then the screenshots are going to be 1600x1200 and this will pose a problem for people running 1280x1024 like me. I simply drag them over and then close them once I get an idea of the detail the screenshots shows. That is the actual purpose of the screenshot, to me resizing them down to be a uniform size for the reader would also compromise the image quality and make it look worse than it actually is.

Thanks for the feedback SplitLip, my replies are simply explaining where I am coming from. This was my first vid card review personally and I hope the next one comes out better(na I dont hope, I know, its already in the works ).

Wet Sanded

No Header?

The information on the PrinterFriendly version is minimal images/excess tags/content. The header it shows (what I consider the header) is the one MI logo and the listing of the Posted On, Reviewer, Product, Product Link, Supplied By, and Price.
    I just mean at the title of the page. It's no fault of yours, just an oversight in the programming lol. Just making it known.

The graphs where meant not to load till they was clicked, keep it a mystery so to speak :wink:, we want people to read and click the graphs as they get to them rather than skim and only look for graphs.
    I know, but do want them to print out and have people not have them?

The pictures, they are the full unedited screenshots, so if the tested res was 1600x1200 then the screenshots are going to be 1600x1200 and this will pose a problem for people running 1280x1024 like me. I simply drag them over and then close them once I get an idea of the detail the screenshots shows. That is the actual purpose of the screenshot, to me resizing them down to be a uniform size for the reader would also compromise the image quality and make it look worse than it actually is.
    I'm not suggesting that you resize them, merely that you add a scrollbar so that I can see the whole picture without having to change my resolution to read a single article.

C'mon man, I'm not stupid. Thanks for the answers to my questions though .

If you'll notice, these are the same things that I said in the first post.

I just mean at the title of the page. It's no fault of yours, just an oversight in the programming lol. Just making it known.
    It's there now.

I know, but do want them to print out and have people not have them?
    That would be up to the user. To print the graph alll they need to do is scroll down and click each graph they want. Once it shows the content it should print fine.

I'm not suggesting that you resize them, merely that you add a scrollbar so that I can see the whole picture without having to change my resolution to read a single article.
    Drag the popup to the left click the maximize button and the scrollbars are in place. Edited every single review.

C'mon man, I'm not stupid.
    Please show me at what point I implied, called, or even hinted that you was!

Wet Sanded

Please show me at what point I implied, called, or even hinted that you was!
    The information on the PrinterFriendly version is minimal images/excess tags/content.
    The graphs where meant not to load till they was clicked
    The pictures, they are the full unedited screenshots
    resizing them down to be a uniform size for the reader would also compromise the image quality and make it look worse than it actually is.
    Heh, I know you weren't intentionally insulting me or anything, just telling me something I know a few times without really answering my question. Alright, thanks. Again, great review, and I am anticipating the next.

What could anyone do with a whole set of top of the line video cards? I wonder.

I think you are reading too much into his post split. I think he is trying to explain it for "everyone". Now lets all play nice and hug each other. :P

Thread Information