Thread: need to buy a hardware

need to buy a hardware

Hello,
    My computer skills have been a little out of date as I have had other more pressing hobbies. One of my Dell HDDs in my RAID0 died so I decided to upgrade to a bigger 2 2TB Seagate Barracuda RAID0. The Samsung drives were still working but I was encountering disk errors and some data started to get corrupted so I upgraded. I also bought a new 4TB external for backup. I restored all my data and all is well with the new setup, and it is remarkably faster than the old one which surprised me. My question is with the old Dell RAID levels 0 disks I can just dump them in the trash right? My understanding once the RAID controller is no longer present its very difficult to recover any data. I can just chuck them without doing a secure wipe?

Super Moderator
    Hi,

Sure you can toss them out without an issue. But if you have secretive data on those drives i would recommencement to wipe them with (https://dban.org/).
    Can data be recovered even in the raid controller no longer present? Of course. But it would take some time but its definitely possible.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Indrajit890 View Post
    Hello,
    My computer skills have been a little out of date as I have had other more pressing hobbies. One of my Dell HDDs in my RAID0 died so I decided to upgrade to a bigger 2 2TB Seagate Barracuda RAID0. The Samsung drives were still working but I was encountering disk errors and some data started to get corrupted so I upgraded. I also bought a new 4TB external for backup. I restored all my data and all is well with the new setup, and it is remarkably faster than the old one which surprised me. My question is with the old Dell RAID levels 0 disks I can just dump them in the trash right? My understanding once the RAID controller is no longer present its very difficult to recover any data. I can just chuck them without doing a secure wipe?

Thread Information