Thread: Socket A motherboard upgrade

Socket A motherboard upgrade

Hi guys,

As part of my ongoing quest to get my graphics card to actually work, I'm looking at buying a cheap motherboard. My current nForce 1 board seems to display some kind of conflict with my GeForce 7300GT AGP card, and it appears to be related to the GART drivers. Since there is no sign that nVidia are going to update their nForce 1 chipset drivers, more radical action is needed.

Obviously I need an AGP board, which limits my options somewhat. If I'd known a new motherboard was required, I could have picked up a PCI-e version of the same card (with DDR3 memory) at the same price, but such is life. It looks like I'll have to get another Socket A board, since AGP has been largely phased out in newer boards. At least I will be able to use my Athlon 2100+ on the new board. I found one likely candidate here, but I'd be interested in other options as well:

http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?partno=9566

It has the correct M-ATX form factor and a SiS chipset (no way I'm going for another old nForce chipset!). The AMR slot seems a waste of space, but I don't anticipate putting any cards in apart from graphics and networking. My DDR 400 RAM won't be used to its full potential, but then again, it isn't at the moment either.

The other main consideration is to get a new version of Windows XP, since I understand my OEM version won't work with a new motherboard. I would like to hold on to all my settings and data, but I'm not sure that will be possible (I'll back it up of course, but I could do with as little disruption as possible).

Any suggestions or things I've missed?

Wet Sanded

What type of Hard Drive? And what's your budget?

Hard Drive is a Western Digital - WD400EB (40GB). My budget - say $70-80. I'm trying to keep costs down on what was originally supposed to be an interim upgrade.

Wet Sanded

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186029
    this is the only one I could find on newegg - $43.99

The settings and info can be transfered easily between computers; windows has a settings and files transfer wizard, although I've more than likely distorted name beyond recognition. Hope this helps.

Thread Information