Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should i put a spare computer to (useful) work?

Clear Coat

How should i put a spare computer to (useful) work?

Well, i have a 64bit 3000+ with 512mb ram, and a BFG overclocked FX5500 graphics card with 128mb RAM. Currently it is my somewhat noisy stationary MP3/DVD/and other media player atteched to my stero (with 3 headphone to component audio cables for 5.1 sound) In my room, i am not allowed to have internet access, but if i move it out of my room, it has to share a desk with 2 other computers, and cannot stay on all of the time (without extensive "quiet mods" and removing all of teh nice blue lights). Right now i am happy with its current position as a media player, but i am getting frustrated at the fact i have to bootup windows to use it.
    I tried to use GEEXBOX, a live cd linux media player, but it did not recognize my motherboards integrated sound. So any good OS suggestions are welcome as well.

Tough question...I think you have nailed it down as a media player (HTPC). The only live linux I have used before is Knoppix and it has worked well with maybe different MB's but I dont think I have ever tried to use sound on any of the them.

your choices are many in the *nix world but most don't pick up all hardware at first. you can stay with windows or install your fav *nix and read up on how to install the sound part after the OS is up and running.

you may cut down on the number of TSRs and start up programs in your boot sequence to spped booting, but windows is still a lumbering beast after editing start up.

Wet Sanded

In you saying, Im not allowed to have internet in my room, does that mean they refuse to wire the cables there, or would they actually be mad if you managed to get internet in your room (eg doing the cables or buying a wireless link)?

Maybe ubontu i think its called, might work with your mb.

Clear Coat

They have issues with me having access to the internet in my room, i have a wireless network in the house.

Ubuntu*

Very good system. Its better then most and its very diverse. I've used it its one of the best, you barely need any experience in using it or you can be a linux pro and still use it.

SUSE Is a very good O/S as well.

They have issues with me having access to the internet in my room, i have a wireless network in the house.
    I would not say issues, just protective parents like I was when my kids were younger.

Maybe do a video card upgrade and play the heck out of Oblivion, no internet needed to play.

If you can get away with it, try either a USB key or a wireless PCI card.

Wet Sanded

lol, don't try and get him in trouble. AF is right though, play some good SP games, like fear, oblivion, HL2 etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information