Thread: SteelSeries SteelSound 3H Headphones

SteelSeries SteelSound 3H Headphones

SteelSeries is a leading manufacturer of gaming accessories, including headsets, keyboards, mouse pads and mouse accessories. Last month SteelSeries announced a couple of new additions to the SteelSound line of professional gaming headsets. The SteelSound 3H has been designed to enhance games that combine events and background music. Today we are going to be taking a look at the new SteelSound 3H headphones.

Read the full review here.

Wet Sanded

Yet another great review, but could you explain what these mean?
    * Headphones
    o Frequency response: 10 - 27.000 Hz
    o Impedance: 50 Ohm
    o SPL@1kHz, 1Vrms: 102dB
    o Cable: 2 meters (6.5 feet)

* Microphone
    o Frequency response: 50 - 18.000 Hz
    o Pick up pattern: Non-directional
    o Sensitivity: -40 dB
    o Impedance: 2.2K Ohm

You mentioned them twice, but I don't know what a majority of that means.

Frequency Response = This specification attempts to describe the range of frequencies or musical tones a speaker can reproduce, measured in Hertz. The range we hear is generally from 20Hz (very low bass tones) through 20,000Hz (very high treble). We are to presume that a speaker that could reproduce that range would sound realistic. The most important thing is if a speaker can reproduce all the audible frequencies at the same volume at which they were recorded.

Impedance is a bit harder to explain. For that I will provide some reading material. http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb04/articles/polk/impedence.htm

SPL part pertains to the Sound Pressure Level at the set 1kHz level. The dB (decibil) is the measurement of how loud the sound is at that level.

There are several aspects that these numbers can be looked at. For me I generally look at the frequency response and the dB level. This is where things become a bit more complicated. Sure its stated the speakers will reproduce the specified frequencies. But looking at the specs of both headphones.

SteelSound 3H / Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Frequency Response:
    10 - 27,000 Hz / 8 - 25,000 Hz

Impedance:
    50 Ohm / 64 Ohm

SPL@1kHz, 1Vrms:
    102dB / 113dB
    This tells me right off that the Senn's should produce a lower base and high (frequency). Now after using both headphones, I would be willing to argue the fact a little bit, but without having the proper equipment I really wouldn't have much ground to stand on. The 3H headphones produced a harder base, and just as clear if not a little clear high end. This doesn't mean they reproduced lower frequencies in those areas.

On the Ohm side of things, generally in my experience, the lower the ohm the better quality of equipment you need to run it. I don't think this comes into play to much with headphones like it would with high end audio equipment. Again I am no professional and am only speaking on what I have experienced.

Now the dB rating they list is something I am actually re-thinking on. Both specs state they are rated at the same level yet the louder headphone shows the lower dB level which is the opposite of what I thought it would be. The 3H headphones are the louder of the two units accross the board. Granted I cant truely measure this with the equipemnt I use here. Now if I had a high end microphone and some good sound equipment along with a nice sound proof room, I would have tested things out to see if those are the levels they actully re-produce.

Wow, great review and great explanation. I almost understood most of that.

Thanks

Thread Information