Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLi-Fly

SLi-Fly

Well seeing that I haven't posted a lot lately I thought I would toss this one in. It is by no means anything outrageous. Just a simple gaming rig to tote around when I do venture out.

The base:

Ultra MicroFly case
    Ultra X2 UV 550 Watt PSU
    EVGA uATX motherboard
    Ultra X-Wind 120mm Copper heatsink
    Dual XFX GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 ExTreme @ 525MHz core & 1.55GHz memory
    AMD FX57 processor
    Samsung combo DVD drive
    Western Digital 250Gig Sata 3.0 hdd

This is the MicroFly in its stock form with the barebones hardware. The barebones came with the Ultra X-Finity 500 PSU which made the change to the X2 UV 550Watt for the modular cables. Basicly the plan with this is simply to have a rugged little case to tote around for events that I am able to partake in. The smaller the better .

From here down you will see the main reason why I wanted to go with the modular power supply. The less wires needed meant for a tidier setup.

As can be seen there is not a lot of room for error on one of these and I would have sworn the SLi bridge was going to hit the PSU once installed. There is very little room to spare.

The card in the 1st slot sits under neath the edge of the PSU / Optical drive support bracket.

The images here are a collection of images from the recent reviews I have been doing. Up to this point its still utilizing the X-Finity 500 and has had its fair share of bench marks ran over the course of the last few months. For a low dollar SLi rig, this is a nice setup to get your feet wet on. The 7900GS cards perform really well in SLi and at my normal gaming resolutions are more than enough to get me by. I run the maximum of 1280 x 1024 and these cards perform really good at that res with everything maxed out on most games.

SLi-Fly

As I stated I do not plan on going hog wild on this case just yet. I did plan on changing the stock silver finish and doing a few minor mods time permitting. There are not a lot of in process shots of this simply because I have not had time to do any. I still have several reviews on the plate that I should be working on .

So the first phase is pretty much complete. I need to re-shoot a couple of pieces once the weather warms back up, but for now this will have to suffice.

Here I have sprayed the case with some Orange Anodized paint like I used on my Meshie mod. This went pretty smoothly till I hit the front panel. I ended up re-doing the front panel three times overall due to an interaction with the silver paint and anodizing paint. Finally on the third time around I found a silver that didn't want to screw things up to much. This is the panel that will get pulled back down and repainted one more time once the temps come back up. Removing the anodizing paint after its cured is a pain in the arse. It sprays like a paint but drys like a rubber coating. It will gum sandpaper up pretty quickly.

Here I have most of the hardware reinstalled and am working on hiding what wires I do have showing. Cooling is a main goal but cleanliness is another. The look I had with the X-Finity would not fly, and had I decided to stick with the X-Finity. I would have popped the cover and started clipping off the extra wires that I know I would have never used.

Above are the assembled pictures of how it sits right now. Nice and neat waiting for the next break. I plan on doing a couple of custom intake mods for the dual 7900GS cards. I will probably be adding more light UV and mixed LEDs in the near future with possibly a few window treatments / vinyls. Not really thought that far ahead yet. More to come at some point .

SLi-Fly

looking good so far Tazz. So you are going with UV on the inside? That looks pretty blue to me. Planning on painting anything on the inside neon to get it to glow? Adding some UV cables or anything?

SLi-Fly

Not sure quite yet, working on a couple of ideas, just to see how things work out.

SLi-Fly

Well I had some downtime with the Internet the last couple of days so I did a little more modding.

I gave the paint treatment to my G11 keyboard and G7 Mouse.

I also made a wallpaper and swapped themes to halfway blend in with it.

The G7 didn't come out as good as I wanted so it will get re-painted once the temps come back up.

Master Modder

SLi-Fly

That color is AWESOME, then you did the others with it, now you did it, I got to go clean my pants, what a beautimus paint job. How heavy is it now that you have it all together?

SLi-Fly

Niiiiiice!!!

Very nice!
    Love the concept, and the painting execution is top notch (or the photography is exceptional... one of the two... <grin&#62

Sometimes... less is more... and I like what you have done!
    :thumbsup:

SLi-Fly

Great Job!

SLi-Fly

Thanks guys, I dont have an official weight but it is decent, its enough to make you second geuss the handle the first time you go to pick it up .

SLi-Fly

4:30 AM..

dang I'm asleep at that time :P (look in the corner on the desktop printscreen)

gold looks cool tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information