Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there an interest for a LED Fading Kit?

Is there an interest for a LED Fading Kit?

Hello!

I have designed a kit that lets you fade LED's. The kit would allow you to have 2 Sets of lights fading alternately from each other. Bear with me.. Even though this is a lot simpler to look at and understand, it's harder to explain with words.

For Instance:
    One set will be able to fade from one LED to the next LED at a speed that you can choose(Very fast, or a couple of seconds). For example.. you could fade the inside of your case from Red... to blue... and back to red again.

The other set could be used to light up a Plexi window's edges or an etched design with two colors of your choice. This set works just like the first one.. Fades from one color to the next, but the speed can be controlled independently of the first set.

Each Set can support 10's Of LED's. So You could have 10 RED LED's fading into 10 BLUE LED's

The kit gets it's power from a regular MOLEX power connector.
    You would be able to pick the colors/quantity of lights.
    I would offer PCB Lighting strips (Multiple LEDS on a Board, evenly spaced) to be used as accent lighting, or more importantly.. a Plexiglass illumination solution.

My question to everyone is... would there be a demand for such a kit?

Later,
    phaZed

I have a project in the back of my head that I have been sitting on for *2 years* that this fade circuit you are pimping would be PERFECT for.

OOoooo.... please please please....

i'm pretty interested in this. I have a server case with activity LEDs for up to 8 devices, well since i'm only using one because thats all my mobo supports, i've wanted to do something sweet with the rest of the LEDs. could you post any quick vids of it in action? also how do you set it up? like you said you can adjust speed, is that through a dial or do you plug it into the computer?

Master Modder

I too would be interested as long as the pricing isn't out of this world.

itd be bool to use a microcontroller and be able to control LEDs throught LPT port to change their colors

you could control around 8-10 LEDs, I know how you could change those 8 (as 8 signal outputs) but I know you can use the other pins.. somehow..

btw, will you post the pictures of the PCB and that stuff or we have to order it? :P

I'm still working out some *practicality* issues. One such issue is how to connect The LEDs easily enough anyone can do it. Currently my prototype has micro screw-down terminals... just sticking bare the bare wire in. The second issue is.. using more than 2-3 LEDs on one "port" or using different colors/brands of LEDs on one port causes un-uniform lighting between the string of LEDs on the port. I am solving this by using more transistors. The problem is this... It is easier for me to build LED "bars" with the Transistors on the bars... but that doesn't make it easy for modders to just add more leds.. the alternative is to add them all to the board that the LEDs connect to... but then size might be an issue.

faceless105:
    The board will plug into a standard molex power connector.. and then any LEDs you want to fade are plugged into the board. This board will be a small size (Maybe 3"x2" or so). As I have mine set up now... fading 8 case leds would be a cinch.

I took a small video clip with my digital camera... but the quality was horrible(It doesn't work well in dark areas). I'm going to pick up a REAL video camera and get some action shots. Bear with me.

em3bilko:

As it sits right now I don't have a price (I'll be able to determine a price when I find suppliers of the parts). I'm going to try to offer the kit as...

1. A Kit you solder together (Just all the parts in a bag)
    2. and as a kit that is assembled. Which will be more expensive because I have to put it together

Also... I'm waiting on getting a Laser Printer in the next couple of days to make Printed Circuit boards.

So, Videos are coming soon.
    Thanks,
    phaZed

phazed, order that kit to be made in China

only thing u'd have to pay would be the delivery :P

I'll wait for the videos, wanna see that in action

good idea btw!

Master Modder

now that souns cool! i would def be intrested!! VIDS!!!!!!!

Master Modder

I was an Electrician Mate for the US Navy and I have soldering skills, so the kit with parts and schematic would be all that I need. So keep us informed, because I'm interested in it myself.

I too would be interested and like Tech said I have had an idea in my head for awhile now about lighting a window and it sounds like this might make it happen.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information