Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Splitter project.

Audio Splitter project.

Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing an audio splitter for my computer, Basically, It will split my audio and have a switch so that I can switch the audio from my speakers to my headset with the flick of a switch, the cables won't be changed or hardwired into the system, so if i get a new headset or newer set of speakers that req. a 3.5mm jack, I can easily change it.
    List of parts

2 or 3 of these
    Radio shack 3.5mm panel mount phone jack(they should work for audio)

something like this
    Radioshack 3.5mm male to male cable (although I'll have to find a shorter one or something.

A swtich like this
    Radio shack DPDT switch

Now, I have a couple questions, I may have the swtich either mounted to my case, or to a box I'm going to make, The thing is, If i put it inside my computer, It may ground, What would be some ways to stop it from potentially grounding?

the other question, How would I hook the switch up? I believe it needs a ground, but a 3.5mm audio cable takes 2 cords (one for left, one for right) anybody know if its okay to just hook them up to one and the other side or what?

Everybody's opinions are welcome, and if anybody has any better idea's to go along with this, they can sure add something.

Audio Splitter project.

Good idea, tho I don't think that the switch needs to be isolated from ground, it doesn't make contact to any of the pins (at least not the switch I have at home, it's the same)

You only need to switch the left and right, ground doesn't need to be switched

That should do the trick

Dex

Master Modder

Audio Splitter project.

Good idea, tho I don't think that the switch needs to be isolated from ground, it doesn't make contact to any of the pins (at least not the switch I have at home, it's the same)

You only need to switch the left and right, ground doesn't need to be switched

That should do the trick

Dex
    He's right, no need to ground the switch and you only need the 1 ground for both the L and R. Happy Modding to ya.

Clear Coat

Audio Splitter project.

I did this for my computer... give a few days to remeber what i did, and i can draw you a (horrible) schematic.

Clear Coat

Audio Splitter project.

well, it took me less time than i thought. And it is slightly different than what I actually did, because i used the front audio headers on my motherboard... Hope this helps:

Wet Sanded

Audio Splitter project.

Ah. I was hoping that this would be for surround sound, as that is what I need. Do they sell pre-built ones?

Audio Splitter project.

my 3.5mm plugs I'm buying have only 2 conductors. I would need 3conductor plugs then wouldn't I? and are 1/8 audio jacks the same as the 3.5mm plugs? This is just for a headset so I might even be wrong on needing 3.5 I might need 1/8

Clear Coat

Audio Splitter project.

I dont think they would sell a surround sound version of this unless it was on a coax style connection... otherwise, the only way i can see to do it would be to use 3 seperate switches for the 3 audio plugs.

Audio Splitter project.

Sorrry, my bad, That one has a ground, Thanks for your help fusinfun

Splitlip, You're probably going to look for a switch that will switch the amount of cables simultaneously. I have no idea where you could find one, but I'll keep a look out for you.

sorry for double post.

Clear Coat

Audio Splitter project.

Yes, you will need 3 conductor plugs (ground, left, right) and if my memory serves me right 3.5mm and 1/8 in. are the same size. whatever your headphones/speakers fit in is obviously the correct size, so make sure you check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information