Thread: Airbrushing

Airbrushing

Do you have the know-how and talent to help others like myself learn about the fine art of air brushing?

Show off your PC related or not related work here.

My question is....

I am looking at creating some designs that may require fine line detail. Can one brush do this or would I need two? 1 for larger/broader areas and then one for thin line highlight work or can this be done by just switching or adjusting the tip?

Wet Sanded

Airbrushing

If you use a detailing airbrush, then it will turn out better. Basically, the more specialized airbrushes you have, the more clean it should turn out. That's a general rule and I have an invisible disclaimer at the bottom of this message.

Airbrushing

Do you have the know-how and talent to help others like myself learn about the fine art of air brushing?

Show off your PC related or not related work here.

My question is....

I am looking at creating some designs that may require fine line detail. Can one brush do this or would I need two? 1 for larger/broader areas and then one for thin line highlight work or can this be done by just switching or adjusting the tip?
    It depends on how you lay out your work whether you even use an airbrush.
    Can you give an example of exactly what you are trying to replicate?
    Sometimes you can use a dry mask. (mask with no adhesive)
    How much experience do you have spraying in general?

Airbrushing

Welcome back had not seen ya for awhile...

Zero experience with an airbrush, but have made masks with tape, poster board, and other objects to get the designs I want.

An example would be something like putting detail into face such as aging lines. Another would be like adding shadows or lines to create a depth look.

Airbrushing

Sorry, I have been working non stop on my next mod.

Two major types of airbrushes. Single action and dual action.

Single action allows you to trigger the air. The flow comes from using
    a dial to administer control of the flow.
    Dual action allows you to trigger the air and adjust paint flow at the same time.

Single action is great to start to learn on, as learning the flow control can be challenging.

If you were to base color your pc, let's say, and then apply a heavy adhesive mask, you run the risk
    of pulling up your base coat when you remove your mask. If you use a 'freehand' stencil as a mask, you run the risk of the stencil moving or having your air from your brush lift it while you are spraying.
    Sometimes I use a piece of cardboard (poster board) with a large hole cut in the center. I then can use a dry mask (no adhesive) and attach it right to the piece of cardboard. This allows me to attach the cardboard to a table or to the back of the piece I am spraying. The other advantage to it, is that if you are going to make repetitive masks, you can attach them to the cardboard and flip them into place as you need them.

This works when you have artwork that does not have any free moving pieces in it.
    This does not work very well if you have multiple areas that are not attached.
    For instance. If you were painting the name 'BOB' on an area, you would have difficulty dealing with
    the centers of the 'B' and 'O'.

In this case, I would use a 'painters mask'. It comes on a roll like vinyl and has very low tack.
    I cut it out using a plotter and then I apply VERY carefully. Sometimes paint lifts with it when you remove it, but that is life.

If you have a .jpg or some reference of the art, it would be extremely helpfull. If this is a suprise for
    someone or even for the modders here, you can email it to me and I could give you better insight as to how to accomplish it.

Thread Information