Thread: Why you mod?

Why you mod?

My wife thinks im crazy for putting a window in a power supply or cutting the side panel of our computer off to add a window. She asked me why I do this. I simply told her "because its fun" and im a complete computer nerd. So I was just wondering why you guys do what you do to your computers?

Why you mod?

Good question...

I have always liked to work with my hands and trying to figure out how things work or do not work.

When I was younger I would draw/design cars or what ever and when I got older I started to do the model car thing but would "mod' them into what I wanted. Getting even older I started doing it to my own real cars and trucks ,which is not cheap, so when I got married all that stopped (when ya got 2 kids $ flys away). I was getting into computers and well the damn thing ran hot. I saw somewhere where some one added an extra fan to a case. Once I did that, but added an on/off switch, it reminded me of my younger car days and thought...hmmm this could be fun and cheaper than trying to do a whole car....thus my new hobby was found.

Master Modder

Why you mod?

It has turned into a hobby with me. I need something to keep me busy. I can't sit and watch TV all day. I need something to stimulate my mind and the PC does that for me. Modding my cases allows me to use my hands, my mind and be able to work on it at the time that I want. My wife says that it better than having me go out to the bars and throwing the money away on booze, so she happy with my hobby also. Then there is the best reason, IT's FUN. Happy Modding to ya.

Why you mod?

I mod so that I can create something that nobody else has.

I look at PC modding as the ultimate expression of "personal computing". It can't get more personal than putting together a computer that nobody else in the world has...

I do it for the challenge, as I enjoy creating and building... working with my hands and learning new techniques/technologies that I would otherwise not have exposure to.

I like building creations that push me in a direction that I have not seen much happening in (BOSS was hot rod car based, DSF and DST are hockey themes, etc). I *really* enjoy finding crappy cases that people would not even give a second glance at, and turning them in to a head turner.

It is all enjoyable to me, but he creation aspect (looking at something at the very beginning, then looking at it at the very end and seeing the differences) is what I enjoy the most.

Why you mod?

Thanks for your post guys. I'm going to have my wife read this so she doesn't think im the only one in the world that does this. Thanks again guys.

Why you mod?

I do it as something to do, a hobby. It is better than going out and wasting my money on other non-sense. This could actually get somewhere and if you sell your mods you might be able to bring in more money. Might be a source of income. But mostly this is just a spare time hobby thing. For fun and using ym brain and hands on something good.

Why you mod?

why you guys do what you do to your computers?
    Because I can.

Why you mod?

:lol: It's cheaper than drugs or hookers :lol:

All jokes aside, I do it because it's something that I enjoy. I love working with my hands and creating something new and/or different. I've always said that "Modding is like Everquest." It's addictive. I never even thought in a million years of modding a computer, but a friend of mine I was in the Army with modded computers and I hung out with him and learned how to do things from watching what he did and I thought I'd like to do something to my PC. That's how it got started. We are creative people and creative people need an outlet. I don't like to write that much so I can't do poetry, I'm not that good of a photographer so that's a lost cause. I can't carry a tune in a bucket so singing is out of the question for sure. I guess more or less it's just a way for people to see what I'm into. I can talk till I'm blue in the face to someone that has never modded a rig, but when they see it.....That's when they understand what I'm talking about and what I like to do, and who knows, maybe they will start modding because I showed them something new and different. It worked on me :lol:

Master Modder

Why you mod?

ye i agree with everyone else its kinda the same way i am, i use to build things lot outta knex...sorta grew outta that and wel came into the computer world at the age of about 13 and well it started when i first saw my first ever mod which was a gtr-pc and well that got me into it and yea its fun gives me sumit to do when i have nutin else and yea i hate sitting watchin tv lol

Wet Sanded

Why you mod?

IMO, to say just computers is limiting when modding. I have one computer, so I am modding one computer. I have made a custom bed, a custom basement, and am working on a custom desk. I like the idea of individuality while at the same time having something that fits my needs personally. It also satisfies my craving for working with my hands, and, as previously mentioned, brain stimulus.

Thread Information