Thread: led lights

led lights

ok guys i wanna put some led in my case . i no a bit about wiring and the sorts, just wondering how

people have done it and how they connected to the power, the resistors that have been used etc etc

i did a quick search i couldnt find what i wanted so i figured ask here

cheers

Wet Sanded

led lights

Here's the led resistor calculator
    http://www.modders-inc.com/led-res-calculator.html
    and here's the led resistor guide
    http://www.modders-inc.com/resistor-guide.html

led lights

ok guys i wanna put some led in my case . i no a bit about wiring and the sorts, just wondering how

people have done it and how they connected to the power, the resistors that have been used etc etc

i did a quick search i couldnt find what i wanted so i figured ask here

cheers
    I run LED lighting in most of my builds. I gave up CCFLs a while back. I normally run a string of them off one power source.

The amount of LEDs, the LED itself, the connection type, and the power source all have to be taken into factor when choosing what to go with. There are times as well that you don't even need resistors, it all depends on your plans and how you apply them.

Best thing to do is figure out the color you want then start researching them, find an LED in the color you want and check its specs (remember not all LEDs have the same forward voltage). Once you have the specs for the LED your going to use you can then input the info into the calculator and see what resistor(s) you need.

led lights

i think i get the general idea , any chance you can do a rough how to to say use 5 leds???

im thinkin green atm so pretty palin but theres many things to do with plain colours!

how do you power them , straight from the power supply?? do i need to make a board??

cheers jamie

led lights

I'll answer your question you posted in my DST thread here, if that is ok with you?

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of different types of LED connections will help you builf the right "type" of LED chain.

You have "series", you have "parallel" and you have "single".

Best advice I can give you is to learn "single" mode first. This is what teaches you how to apply power to an LED as well as how to cut down the power using a resistor so that you don't blow out the LED.

Within a computer case, off of a power supply you have:
    12v
    5v
    3.3v

These lines are accessible. 12v and 5v are the yellow (12v) and the red (5v) that you see on every 4 pin molex that you see connected to your hard drives and cd/DVD player..

I tend to build a chain of lights as if it were a single LED, and cut down the voltage to what i need it to be... I do this on every LED I light.

More tomorrow, I'm beat

led lights

cheers mate thanx for your help
    i did electronics at school so i get the jist, just wanna know exactly how so i dont blow anything up!!

led lights

What voltage are the HDD LED's?

led lights

3.3v if I remember correctly is what most MB's send to it.

led lights

Thanks mate, I'll be on to my local stockist on monday!! :mrgreen:

led lights

How about running LED's with WCing tubes?
    I heard there are glow-in-the-dark water cooling liquid but is that as good as regular stuff?

Thread Information