Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Panel Etching

Master Modder

Side Panel Etching

I have a Black Ultra Wizard case that is sitting empty at the moment and have been pondering about what to do with the side panel, being that it doesn't have a window, just a side vent with processor tube installed on it. Today I found what I think is a decent dragon design that I could cut into the panel or if I screw that up then cut a window with the design etched into the plexiglas with LEDs for light effects. So here is the design and I would like to hear from anybody about what you think of it and what you would do if it was yours. This will become a project with a worklog after I finish the Switchboard. Thank you and Happy Modding to ya.

Side Panel Etching

Hmmm think it would look great all cut out myself and lit up, it's not going to look like it does in the pic as an etching wile it would still look good just not the same.

Master Modder

Side Panel Etching

What do you think about cutting the panel with just the figure and then putting the plex behind it and then etching the plex with the figure behind the panel? Do you understand what I just said? Ha Ha. Then use a mix of blue and green LEDs to try and get the effect that the pic is showing, maybe some red LED's also.

Side Panel Etching

Cutout and frosted look should be good, will light up more that way. Wont be able to see in but that depends on what your after.

Clear Coat

Side Panel Etching

I definitly like the etching on the plexi behind a cutout... just seems awesome. And LED mixing is much easier when people cant see into the case. Nice design too.

Master Modder

Side Panel Etching

Thanks for the comments -PC- and fusinfun, I feel that we are coming onto a design that will look hot. I wasn't thinking about being able to see into the unit, the design doesn't really give much of a area for viewing. I was trying to find a way to get this design to pop when you looked at it. I think that having the plex etched with the design and then placed behind the same cutout on the panel and lit by a series of LEDs for effect, should give it the pop that I'm looking for. I knew that posting the start of a design would get me some ideas to flow into a popping design. Thanks for your help.

Master Modder

Side Panel Etching

wel if thats the case...i would go for the frosted look with blue LEDS at the bottom and say i duno white at the top? i think that would look cool

Clear Coat

Side Panel Etching

Oh, how are you going to be doing the etching?

Master Modder

Side Panel Etching

fusinfun, I'll be using my Craftsman rotary tool with a flexshaft with diamond coated bits. Here is my rotary tool that I'll be using.
    Craftsman Rotary Tool
    Thanks for your idea razer121, in fact I was thinking on the lines of a mixture of blue and green LEDs and try different locations to get the effect that I'm looking for. I believe that this is going to be a lot of hit or miss with the lighting.

Clear Coat

Side Panel Etching

watch out with the diamond bits... it will melt the plastic. And i am just guessing, but unless you are using wide angle LEDs you will want some kind of diffusing material to spread the light. It will also help with the blending of colors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information