Thread: ok....spray painting! help :(

Master Modder

ok....spray painting! help :(

ok so ive started to do one of my projects....bmw-carpc and now im stuck ive done all the prep and colour coat but im stuck now.....ive sanded the last colour coat and im not sure if im ment to apply clear laquer now or after i buff it? any ideas?? cheers all!

Master Modder

If you have all of your color down and have the last coat ready for the finish. Then I would go ahead and put the final finish on. How many coats of finish are you going to put on the car? I always put a minimum of 4 coats of clear on my paint jobs. Happy Modding to ya.

Master Modder

ok sorry em3 i dont relly understand what your trying to say..but it may help if i exsplian it abit better, i have 3 coats of the colour coat on, the final colour coat has been sanded down, now this is where i am stuck, now do i put the clear coat on now or do i put the clear coat on after i buff it?? thats what i ment hope you can help

Master Modder

Put the final coats on now and when they are totally dry, then you buff. Happy Modding to ya.

Master Modder

oh right i see thank you very much em3! great help, cheers again

If it were me id go with a basecoat clear coat designed system, walmart sells this set up by house of kolor, its a sealer , then color then clear. you would only buff a single stage paint to acheive more shine, in a s three step base coat clear coat system you just lightly buff the final clear coat. I worked in as a GM certified refinisher for quite a while and im here to tell ya wet sanded the color coat and all that is truly a method of the past, If you really want it to look slick id go to a local body shop and ask one of the guys how much it would cost to get them to paint it with an automotive finish. There is a brand of paint by PPG called omni that is the standard and is very affordable. Just my advice

Master Modder

wel thanks for the advice but if i got them to do it, i wouldnt be satisfied cos i didnt do it, if u know wot i mean?

i can understand that, thats why we mod!

well im not sure if your question go answered so i'll throw my 2 cents in.

after your color coat you should apply a clear coat. You apply this in 3-4 very light coats. AFter applying that you should rub it out with some 3m rubbing compound to give it some shine. To go the next step after that you can wait a month and then apply wax to it.

Master Modder

thanks for givin it a answer but, your right it has been answered lol in the bmw-pc thread of mine my good internet buddy em3bilko answered it, should find some of his post in his projects, he is an awesome spray painter

Thread Information