Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED equalizer mod...

LED equalizer mod...

Hi all...With the recent purchase of this case I've made my first baby steps into the modding scene, or so I hope. While that case is a great start, I'd love to make it even better. I was pouring over vairous mod retailer sites, looking over my new case and trying to think of great ways to make it look even better without looking....excessive.

On this case there are 2 LED "bars" that run vertically up and down in 2 groves on either side of the front panel. Upon further inspection with my trusty screwdriver I realized that the "bar" was really a piece of plastic that diffused light from 2 bright blue LEDs above and below each bar. While there's certainly nothing wrong with this, I thought it'd be really cool to change the look of this portion of the case.

I <3 listening to music, and I thought changing this bar of sorts into something of an LED equalizer would be an awesome mod for my case. Trouble is, I have really no clue how to go about it I know a thing or two about digital electronics, about resistors and such, but that's minimal at best, and as for setting up an equalizer effect...Well it's gonna be interesting that's for sure :lol:

So I thought I'd try asking y'all just in case this sort of thing has been done, or something similar...Any help would be much appreciated. I already have a plan of how I'm going to put LEDs into the grooves, I really just need info on making them react to sound and how to keep it all from blowing up in my face and such

LED equalizer mod...

i have the same case but black, and i've already modded my leds, red(my case is black). they have sound activated things that you can get, maybe mod it so that it powers your leds instead?

LED equalizer mod...

So the case has 4 LEDs? I tihnk I can make a schematics and I have a plugin for Winamp that works as a visualation (you see nothing tho) but it puts signal on the LPT port on all 8 I/O ports, that means you could make 8 LEDs light up with using Winamp, haven't tested it yet tho but I've seen it in action

Wet Sanded

LED equalizer mod...

Why, I do declare that you need one of these!
    http://www.xoxide.com/cocasoackit.html

Edit: Wait, clarify what you want to do. You want to make a bar of led's that light up simultaneously (see #1), or that certain ones light up while others don't, depending on the volume and notes (see #2)?

#1) use the thing above
    #2) use these:
    red bar graph:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/BG-10/345/10_SEGMENT_BARGRAPH,_RED_.html
    yellow bargraph:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/BG-10Y/345/10_SEG_BARGRAPH,_YELLOW_.html
    green bargraph:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/BG-10G/345/10_SEG._BARGRAPH,_GREEN_.html

LED equalizer mod...

I think what he meant was that there are 2 "bars" made of plexi and one LED from the top and one from the bottom, not sure tho

Clear Coat

LED equalizer mod...

Either way would be cool, but i think what he wants to do is replace the plexi "light bars" with a row of LEDs and either use it as a graphical equalizer display (turn knobs and increase "volume" for certain freqs) or as a visualization effect (the bouncing bars of intesity or whatever)
    The graphic equalizer would be freaking awesome, but reallly hard to do too... someone should sell a kit.

Master Modder

LED equalizer mod...

I have a case that has those 2 bars also and there is a LED at the top and one at the bottom of each bar for a total of 4 LEDs. Now my impression is that you are wanting the bars to flicker to the beat of the music, is this correct? If that is correct, then I'm sure there is a way to do it and I bet someone on this site can help with that situation, sorry but I can't. Good luck with your project and Happy Modding to ya.

Wet Sanded

LED equalizer mod...

Lol. I love it when people ignore my posts. It's all good, but em3, who doesn't like to read now?

Master Modder

LED equalizer mod...

I prefer pictures or tape recordings. Happy Modding to ya.

LED equalizer mod...

Either way would be cool, but i think what he wants to do is replace the plexi "light bars" with a row of LEDs and either use it as a graphical equalizer display (turn knobs and increase "volume" for certain freqs) or as a visualization effect (the bouncing bars of intesity or whatever)
    The graphic equalizer would be freaking awesome, but reallly hard to do too... someone should sell a kit.
    I wrote that at like 2 am 0.o Sorry I wasn't a bit more clear
    What I want is something like the bouncing bars of intensity, as in not all at once, but in a row based on the strength of the sound. I want to basically drill holes behind the clear plexi bar thing and place several LEDs behind it (something like 12 or so on each side, spaced about an inch apart each) and make an intensity bar. It'd be great if I could use an output from my sound card as the source, so I can have a separate bar on each side for the right and left channels if at all possible.

Not sure what you posted SplitLip, could you clarify what those chips do?

EDIT: Oh I see now...That's a bit too small for what I have in mind though, I need the LEDs spread out for about 12-14 inches...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information