Thread: Burned out or mis-use?

Wet Sanded

Burned out or mis-use?

Alright guys, here's the dilemma:
    I bought this:
    http://www.bpesolutions.com/asoundeuip.html#anchor977933
    and pumped 12vdc (like it says) at 500ma (can't find the rating for this).
    Something smelled bad, and I don't know if it died, or the transformer burned out.

Now a days I have access to a multimeter, but I'm not the best at using it. Is there any way anyone can tell me if it's dead or not? Either a method to figure it out, or someone can find the proper amperage to show that I overkilled it or whatnot.

Thanks guys, I know you guys can figure this out, and this is a big part of my mod.

Burned out or mis-use?

1st thing.

pumped 12vdc (like it says) at 500ma (can't find the rating for this).

You put 500ma to it not knowing what it required?

2nd thing.

If something smelled bad when you powered it. You will need to visually inspect everthing that was connected to check for any burnt components or traces. Could have possibly done in the power source you was using as well.

Wet Sanded

Burned out or mis-use?

I scoured the internet for the rating, and it was no where to be found. It came with no battery connectors, so I knew it was molex or transformer connected. I used the most common amperage associated with 12Vdc, and, if I'm not mistaken, the same amount of amperage in a molex cable. I used a transformer as to ensure not destroying my psu.

Alright, I can do that. Will the char be on the bottom with the solder or on the top with the pieces most likely? And yeah, I'm hoping it was the transformer that smelled bad. I did in fact know which was positive and negative when I plugged it in too, and I took pics of it so I wouldn't forget.

Burned out or mis-use?

Well at the worst I would have tried getting information out of them before connecting any power to the unit. You can assume but dont always expect things to come out right doing so. I would pop an email to them asking them seeing that they specifically say the Power Supply is not supplied for the receiver.

On checking for burnt components and or traces. Could be anywhere, could be burnt and not seen even. You will just need to visually inspect everything from edge to edge piece to piece. The burns will normally show in the weakest point of the specific circuit. I would also hook your power source back up and test it with a meter to verify that it is still putting out the voltage. You might also be able to smell around and be able to narrow down the a burnt area. Depending on everything that is used, you can still get a off smell off of a new component without it actually being burnt/ bad.

Wet Sanded

Burned out or mis-use?

Not to make excuses or anything, but I got it off of ebay, and he wasn't responding to my emails. It was teh suck. I've been emailing another seller with the same item, but no one can seem to figure out the voltage.

Burned out or mis-use?

Doh.

Thread Information