Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i'm pretty bored

i'm pretty bored

well i dont think i could have worded it better. I'm working two jobs, one full time the other on weekends, and i'm going to school full time. I cant remember the last time i had the luxury of sleeping in (though in reality it was only a couple weeks ago), and what happens when i get a spot of free time? I get bored. go figure...

So now that summer is approaching i'm thinking about a new computer i'm planning to build. I'm looking at a core 2 duo cpu and i wanted to ask for some mother board reccomendations. so if anyone has some favorite brands, i'd love to hear them, lol if anyone has even a model they love post it and tell me why.

other then that i'm planning on having raid-0 and two 500 gig hard drives. I want it to look like i have a 1TB hard drive in there when i go into my computer

also any reccomendations on graphics card would be welcome since thats the biggest thing i need to upgrade currently

i'm pretty bored

well i just watched a vid from CeBIT where a guy overclocked his core 2 up to 5.4 GHz and he reccomended ABIT, lol so that makes me lean towards ABIT, lol.

heres the link if anyone else is interested:

i'm pretty bored

There are a few good boards out from different makers. I'm currently running an Asus board but have heard some really good thing about the Evga boards and considered one when I purchased the Asus, I really didn't like the way there site was setup for downloading drivers so I went with Asus. I know that might sound trivial but I figure if they cant make there web site easy to get around in what makes me think there board is going to be any different.

I had an Abit board in the past and it did fine, it had a generic sound card built in and it made some strange noises but i disabled it and went with soundblaster, problem solved.

I have also had good lick with Gigabyte boards and used them on the last two or three builds.
    I have always considered Asus the top though so I went back to them on this build.

i'm pretty bored

I'd be the same way on the site. I want good and easily accessible documentation on my motherboard and if their site doesn't provide it then i'm not sure how crazy I would be about the motherboard...

I've also heard some good things about FoxConn, anyone else have any thoughts on them?

i'm pretty bored

When you are sure what you are getting I can find you some PIMP Deals

Master Modder

i'm pretty bored

if u want me to be honest i would go with asus, thats what i am using right now, it seems to be running perfectly, hassel free, ive used ABIT before and yea they do run smoothly although i will be honest i have had a bad one from gigabyte.....but maybe that was a one of anyways just letting you know

Master Modder

i'm pretty bored

I'm running a Epox board with this machine and have been for 5 yrs now with a AMD 2800XP Barton core which is locked, so not much can be done other that to drop the multiplier and adjust the voltage and stuff like that, which I don't change. So not much in the way of OCing this rig. So I'm just rattling along. Happy Modding to ya.

i'm pretty bored

Feature wise I really like ASUS MB's. Abit is right there, gigabyte are a good middle of the road board and epox is great for low end or those combo deals that included the MB ( the MB ends up almosr being free). I have a foxconn for a SFF case and it works good.

I think the most most look at the cost vs what they want the board for.

Overclocking / speed /bragging rights = $$$
    Good gaming / dependability / showing off =$$
    Desktop PC / HTPC / got no money = $

Sometimes it is hard to justify paying $250 or more for a motherboard that might be outdated by the time Fedex shows up with it.

Wet Sanded

i'm pretty bored

PC, would you say that Asus boards are better than DFI's?

I personally use a DFI Lanparty Ultra UT-D nf4 board and I must say, I love it!
    Everything is customizable down to passwords to each section and to turn on the comp to post order and stuff. Drivers are easy, and the BIOS is a beast. I don't do much OC'ing, but from what I understand, the easy interface and accurate changing makes DFI boards top of the line for it.

i'm pretty bored

Wish I had more experience to add my 2 cent's, but my PC was my first "cherry pop's" lol!.When I reserched for my mobo, I looked at the mags and saw that a lot of the pc's that were being advertised had my board and also read some reviews. I was building to a budget and I was also buying one to two parts a month.Now that it is done{except for the modding of it } a lot of the parts are no longer being made. For example my ram. It has been discontinued and I had my eye on another 2gig's. Ran into the same thing when I went for the second video card. Found the second on Ebay thank god!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information