Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about intake/exhaust

question about intake/exhaust

In an article I read they argued about this, but they had no way to test this and never really gave an answer.

Anyways Im wondering whats better, more intake and not alot of exhaust or more exhaust and less intake.

Also are there any pro's/cons for stacking fans together?

Master Modder

I don't have any numbers to back up what I think but personally I think you should have more exhaust than intake. It will get rid of the heat and it will cause a suction of cool air where ever air can get in. That's just my opinion. Happy Modding to ya.

i agree with em3bilko!

em3bilko's method gives you negative pressure in the case. If you live in a dusty area you might think twice about that .

I try to run more intakes than exhaust here to have a little positive pressure in the case. I think it also helps keep the dust out.

If its dusty, more intake. If its not so dusty, more exhaust. Honestly I never found it to be a big deal if you got a couple decent fans. I have 2x120mm thunderblades(dont remember if thats the right name) they are both 75ish cfm, 1 in the back for exhaust and 1 in the front for intake. Plus I have my PSU fan. My computer sounds like a jet engine but thats ok

Master Modder

i must be honest.....i dont have that much intake or exhaust lol i have the cpu, one fan inside at the front to suck cool air in and the power supply has one suckin in from the inside and the other blowing out....it seems to work fine for my computer and its a dual core...so u can guess the heat it gains

Master Modder

I have a 120mm for intake and one for exhaust and then I have the PS with 2 fans with has one sucking the air into it and one blowing the air outside the case. That was for my gaming machine the machine that I'm using now has a 92mm for intake and a 120mm exhaust with the PS doing the same and this is the loudest machine I have and it's the cpu cooler that is heard. The cpu cooler is a Thermatake Volcano11 with adjustable 92mm fan which is the second loudest fan that I own. I do own 2 Tornados 92mm fans which are jet engines when they run. Happy Modding to ya.

It's pretty simple if you think about it...what goes in, must go out.

If you are putting in 20 CFM (cubic foot a minute) you need to remove 20 CFM.

If you are putting in 20 CFM and taking out 10CFM then you have dead air that is getting hot that is not being removed.

If you are putting in 10 CFM and trying to remove 20 CFM then you are sucking air in from any available crack to try and help make up the lack of air to remove.

Try this....take a drinking straw and blow/suck thru it as see how easy it is to do. Now plug the exit, say half way, and try to blow thru it. Feel the pressure? Keep the hole plugged half way and now suck thru it. Feel the resistance?

The secret is the same as life.... balance

Master Modder

As usual AF is correct. Now let's see, how much does that 120 suck or is it blows, oh, I remember now it's move the amount of. Sometimes if it wasn't for wearing boots I would forget how to tie my shoes. Thanks AF for the correct input. Happy Modding to ya.

Anyways I knew balance was the best way to go, which is why i have a 120 mm fan as an intake, the psu fan and an 80 mm fan as exhaust, though the 80mm doesnt do much(The PSU fan takes all the air O.o) oh and before i forget, there is also the cpu fan(with a hood)

Anyways no one has answered my question about stacking fans (having two of them mounted together pulling/pushing air together)

The only thing I can think of is less wear on the fans and possibly more airflow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information