Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dremel E-Z Lock Challenge

The Dremel E-Z Lock Challenge

I've been seeing the E-Z Lock attachment for the Dremel for quite a while now, like many of you I am sure. If you haven't seen it, it is a toolless accessory exchange system. Dremel claims on the EZ-Lock starter package that the blades will last twice as long as the regular reinforced blades. I was standing in Lowe's the other day with some extra cash (usually a bad idea), when I read this for the 30th time. This time I decided to see if Dremel was for real. I plunked down the 15 bucks and decided to put their claim to the test.

The tool used is an old Dremel Model 395 MultiPro. The material is a steel side panel from some donor case from who knows where. The regular blades are 1" in diameter, while the EZ lock variety are 1 1/4".

The test is to cut a straight line in the panel until the blade was no longer usable.

The results:

The bottom cut was made with the regular reinforced cutting wheel at max speed. It is 12 7/8" long.

The other 3 cuts were made with 1 EZ Lock blade. They total 39 1/4" long.

The conclusion: Dremel EZ Lock reinforced cutting blades are far superior to the regular reinforced blades.

Regular blades go for 6 bucks and change for a 5 pack around here, about 20 bucks for a tube of 20. The EZ Lock starter kit includes the mandrel and 5 blades for $15. You can get a tube of 12 EZ Lock blades from Sears for 10 bucks.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&pid=00964452 000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Rotary+Tool&BV_UseBVCooki e=Yes

If you do the math, you'll see that you can't beat the EZ Lock in terms of cutting distance for the buck. Not only that, but the EZ Lock system means I never have to mess with that dinky screw in the regular mandrel again.

If you cut with your Dremel, do yourself a favor and get an EZ Lock set up. If you want to continue to waste your money, then go right ahead.

Thanks for doing this as I was wondering about it myself. Looks like I will be heading over to get some next week.

Master Modder

Thanks for giving us the inside scoop about the Dremel EZ Lock setup. I too will be getting the setup ASAP. Happy Modding to ya.

dang I wish they had those Dremels here

I really want my own dremel.. for quite awhile
    and if it'd be better and cheaper, hooray for me

Master Modder

yea i might ave to get one of them for my dremel seem pretty gd

i'll say from experience that they are a lot better and seem to handle metal cuts better.

Heres my experience, my Tribal Server.. http://fusionmods.net/?theCase=viewThread&threadID=194
    I know these things work great

Wet Sanded

IMO this was far from a controlled experiment. What is your experience with Dremels? Have you used them for years or is this just a first time? How fast did you move? I can make a reinforced blade last for 12 feet of sheet metal cutting or 5" if I burn it out right. Were you sure to move evenly and at the same speed with both Dremels? Could it have had been some fault of the Dremel? You said it was old, how about trying it on a new Dremel.

I believe that the blades work fine, but this isn't what proves it to me.

Master Modder

How about you doing a comparison test for us that will meet yours and ours standards, please. Happy Modding to ya.

Agrees with em3bilko

Wet Sanded

Me or Carter? If it's me then I might set one up over spring break, but my other dremel's bushings are shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information