Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cuboid

The Cuboid

ok, so i wanted a small project to do, as my main rig is just going so slowly on the modding side at the mo, and i have never completed a real mod, so im doing this one for experience. it wasd going to be a printer server, but my dad said i can have it, just not in the study. which is where the printer is. damn. so now its just for fun (hey, it was anyway, printer server was just an excuse ) im only doing it cos i got the hardware free ages ago, and its just been laying around for ages

so, i went out to my local diy store, and bought 3 1meter lengths of aluminium angle, some screws to hold the plexi onto the sub frame made from the aluminium angle, and some quick dry epoxy resin to hold the aluminium together, total £17 (a few pennis less). pretty cheap for aluminium and quick dry epoxy resin i thought!

so now for some pics. here is a before pic:

and here is the finished base, its 210 by 260mm, pretty small, but then again, its a small motherboard:

held together with gloriuse gaffer tape ,as seen here:

it will eventually be glued, painted, and covered in plexi (maybe clear, maybe black)

and here is how i made the angled corners:

a miter box (i did the first one freehand, was rubbish, so i wasted a meter of aluminium, then i found this):

first, i sized the aluminium up using a pre-cut peice to guide me, and cut it using the 90 degree slot:

then i used the 45 degree slots to cut a 45 degree mitre in each end, for the corners:

and thats it for this evening. im nearly finished making the top (one more peice to do), which will be the same as the bottom, then i need to cut 4 pieces 14mm long to hold the top up. then it shall all be sanded (to remove scratches, and to help paint stick), then it will be painted black, and have plexi bolted to it on all sides, with cutouts on the back for 2 fans and the I/O ports. thats basically it, except for the small details i will show when i get to them.

hope you enjoyed reading this!

The Cuboid

pbunyan great work and nothing like having a few projects going on while you work on others. It makes for a change and you don't get bogged down doing the same thing but I do know of people that start many projects and none of them ever get finished so don't fall into that trap. Great work and good read so keep the images coming and looking forward to seeing the end result.

The Cuboid

Off to a good start pbunyan

The Cuboid

Thanks everyone, hopefully i can get some more done this evening, but i dont know as immeeting up with some friends, so i might not get back till late. ive got coursework for tomorrow though, but i promised myself id make some time tomorrow evening for it

EDIT: i just read the custom test bench worklog (i think its by AF, but i cant remmeber, soz!) here and realised that i should have just bent the aluminium round to form the corners. doh!

The Cuboid

EDIT: i just read the custom test bench worklog (i think its by AF, but i cant remmeber, soz!) here and realised that i should have just bent the aluminium round to form the corners. doh!
    I wouldn't sweat it..... as long as you can make it work and look good. The Lookin' good is covered so far.

The Cuboid

thanks Krystal im hoping itll look as good as im picturing it im my head. im also hoping that the epoxy resin will hold it together well. although the gaffer tape holds it together surprisingly strongly, it just doesnt look as good

The Cuboid

he he he...it's my worklog...

The Cuboid

Where do you get lexan in Phoenix,AF?Up here in the north AZ all I can get is the cheap very breakable stuf! :twisted:

The Cuboid

thanks Krystal im hoping itll look as good as im picturing it im my head. im also hoping that the epoxy resin will hold it together well. although the gaffer tape holds it together surprisingly strongly, it just doesnt look as good
    I think every good mod needs some Tape along the way!! :LOL: duck tape, masking tape, scotch tape........

The Cuboid

well, i dont know about good mods, but anything i mod usually needs tape

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information