Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ogborz

The Ogborz

I'm starting this worklog a few weeks late (forgive me, I didn't have batteries for my camera!), so I guess that I'll catch you guys up. I got a new computer, and I kind of wanted to get into overclocking/watercooling. It occured to me that without some sort of other cooling, you can never get get below ambient temperature! I started shopping immediately for a mini-fridge. I ended up buying a peltier-based 1.5L one off of ebay that was conveniently about as wide as my computer. I am now mildly kicking myself because I didn't do my homework and ended up paying about $30 too much (peltier units without a housing are like $5). Oh well.

I also bought a heap of other water cooling equipment, about half of which I will not use in this project. I'm not too worried about that, as I have a client who wants water cooling so I'll get reimbursed.

I also wanted a reverse atx case, so I flipped it upside down and cut out holes where they should be. I'll probably put in a 140mm fan in that gaping hole in the front so my case isn't so rediculously negatively pressurized.

I also cut a couple 90mm fan holes in the top. Here's the front after being cut:

I plan on using the fridge as a radiator on top of the case like such:

and using the other water cooling system as a secondary radiator/pump/resevoire in the back of the case where the fan mounts.

I have a submersible pump that I got from a little fountain thing that I found by the side of the road . I'll use that inside the fridge, which will remain about half full at all times. I was going to put the heatercore from the picture inside of it and air cool it, and then I decided that I would water cool the radiator, then I realized that would be a bit redundant, having water flow through water and all.

I also saw the dual-power supply mod, so I went and took one of my dozens of 300-watt and stripped non-necessary cords (everything but molex). I'm kind of kicking myself for cutting the P4 connector, as the fridge takes 12v dc and only runs at 5 amps. It's okay, I'll just run one of the mini connectors back up through and re-wire. I cut two holes in the top of the case for the wires and for the vent.

This top half, on the other hand, is rediculously positively pressurized. I'll probably lift the fridge to leave more room for airflow from the dual 90mm's. I'm thinking of either leaving the back of the case open, making a diaganol bend to accomadate power cord and air, or just sealing it off and rerouting the plug to the back. I'm not sure if I should add a front vent for more letoff the the pressure caused by the 90mm's, or if I should leave it closed to route the air past the heatsink of the peltier, because that thing gets HOT. Nothing bad will happen if it gets too hot besides it not cooling the water, but still.

The Ogborz

Whoa this is gonna be good

Master Modder

The Ogborz

It looks to me that you cut the 90mm fan openings on the bottom of the frame. Did you do this intentionally? Hope you did and you don't have to do it again. Happy Modding to ya.

The Ogborz

em3bilko you missed something
    I also wanted a reverse atx case, so I flipped it upside down and cut out holes where they should be
    it's right below the second picture

Master Modder

The Ogborz

I see said the blind man, I could say I'm not use to my new glasses but I won't and I just admit I screwed up again. Happy Modding to ya.

The Ogborz

The outside color scheme is going to be high gloss black, with purple lights and green coolant and wires, etc inside. I want to do something totally original for wire management, but I may end up using shower tubing like in the orac3 case. I got this top plate

from this case:

and I'm using aluminum brackets for the frame of my extension.

I'm planning to cut a hole in the other side identical to this one:

and I'll probably chrome the other side of the mb plate, or I could just stick a mirror in there. :P

- update -
    I will be coating the entire inside with mirrors.

Master Modder

The Ogborz

Looking good, just awesome, keep up the good work and keep the updates a coming. Happy Modding to ya.

The Ogborz

Looks great and keep it going.

The Ogborz

Dang that's so sweetlookin'

The Ogborz

Neato so far, keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information