Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a question about the contest? Ask it here!

Have a question about the contest? Ask it here!

Thats a good question on the completness of ideas. I would say it can be as basic as you said, but obviously ones with a bit more detail will have the advantage. But thats just me. Lets wait for the answer.

Btw, is there a word limit? Because i think i read it was 300 words or less. Can we just not have a word limit?

I figure its up to the master modder to improvise within the concept, but I don't want to be too vague, nor spend hours drawing something up in sketchup with accurate dimensions/thicknesses, etc.
    Thats a good question on the compleetness of ideas. I would say it can be as basic as you said, but obviously ones with a bit more detail will have the advantage
    You are both correct as being vague could be a negative, but it will not keep it from being entered into the event. Though the better you can describe your idea the better the judges will be able to understand you vision. Please include at least one image in the idea, even if it is just stock photo. If I said put it in a Fluke Meter would you know what that is or what it looks like ;-)

Using your example of a toilet is a good one. Now why would it be in the toilet? Was it trying to be flushed down and all the cables are hanging out of the bowl? Would you raise the seat to access a DVD ROM...and etc.

REMEMBER the mod is suppose to be something that YOU would want for yourself.

Btw, is there a word limit? Because i think i read it was 300 words or less. Can we just not have a word limit?
    I think we can over look that one :mrgreen: It was meant to help keep the size down, but if you have a lot to say then by all means please do so.

Hope this helps

okay ive read this thread to date
    but i have some questions:

1: on page 1, section 4 PRIZES; ODDS OF WINNING section a clearly states 'ONE (1) first-prize winner will recive completed modded case that was made on their submission with an estimated value of $600'
    so what happened to that extra $100?
    did i miss something thats not outlined in the rules somewhere?
    Official NVIDIA ION Contest Rules (click me)

2: depending on the answer of question 1,
    a: the total value of the mod in parts for the case (not the components?) should be below $500?
    b: or should the total of the mod includeing the cost of the labor by the 'judge(s)'/modder be less then
    what is listed in the rules or on the site?

3: why so many limitations? 300 words will hinder the imagination of the 'dreamer' and reduce their chances of winning their dream.

The $500 is for additional parts not including the motherboard thats being given to the modders for free by our good sponsors.

The total prize may be worth $600 as they are just giving a round $100 value to the motherboard which is included in the prizes worth.

I would also assume that the $500 includes modding materials.

Your last question was answered a few posts ago.

But once again, im just a contestant and wait for the official word. But that is my understanding.

The 600 is just as it states, an estimate, but as you know the actual value will be much more and as time goes on we will be releasing "Freebies" given by other sponsors which will add to the hardware value. I can tell you now that just from one sponsor it will increase the value by at least $300 alone. Add in the labor and the prestige of a One of a Kind Case Mod by one of these well know modders then the value goes WAY up. You want my guess at the estimated total value...it would be about $3000.00 USD. BUT that is just a guess as it may even be higher. Do the math; a skilled tradesmen at a low rate of $25 an hour and at least 80 hours of work would equal $2000.00 USD alone :-)

The reason for the $500 is to show that you can spend a small amount of money and have a crazy looking, great idea, awesome looking NVIDIA ION based system.

The word limit was not set by us, but it was thought that it would helps us not have to read a book for the entries BUT truthfully I would HOPE that you would write up a storm to give as much detail as possible! So PLEASE write and write :-)

i will write as much as i deem nessessary to make my vision clear
    and i have a very clear goal in mind for this mod

SWEET!

Using your example of a toilet is a good one. Now why would it be in the toilet? Was it trying to be flushed down and all the cables are hanging out of the bowl? Would you raise the seat to access a DVD ROM...and etc.

REMEMBER the mod is suppose to be something that YOU would want for yourself.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the reply AF! You could have the flusher reset cmos... OK, just kidding, I really don't want a toilet PC.

Hey, I can't seem to find anything specific about this in the rules, but are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

Yes multiplies are fine, but only ONE of your ideas can make it into the top 30. So you're best bet is to make sure that you have different ideas for each entry.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information