Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #409 - ION Mod Idea by Railz

#409 - ION Mod Idea by Railz

Also, i guess you more an AMD guy, i dont know why i just prefer intel... i have the e8500 prossesor and i couldnt be happier with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

I heard AMD is working hard on a new idea of how to make a quad core more efficient though, so maybe it would be better to use an AMD Processor for an easy upgrade later.

Also forgot to include the "pièce de résistance" to this whole mod...

USB Wireless Display adapter

as for the location of the power cable, BEHOLD my leet ascii drawing skills!

___/
    __/__
    _/____
    /______
    ______/
    _____/
    ____/====
    ___/

mind you it's not to scale...lmao

lastly for your reference, the Sims diamond is an in-game indicator showing the player what character they're controlling at the time by appearing over said-character's head

like so:

amazingly enough, my case estimation is roughly the same size... :mrgreen:

i was actually going to ask you if you have heard of wireless display... because that is my plan for the monitor. going wireless...

Also do they sell the diamond at like a game shop like brave new worlds or a game stop? or is it something i would have to make myself?

Sadly, I haven't found a pre-made diamond, hence the plan to make it out of acrylic plexiglass. And just like i already thought about the wireless display that'll fit in the case before you mentioned it, you beat me to talking about the power supply which I had to do research on. Great minds think alike and whatnot, I guess. lol

as for the location of the power cable, BEHOLD my leet ascii drawing skills!

___/
    __/__
    _/____
    /______
    ______/
    _____/
    ____/====
    ___/
    another, more suitable idea is to place the case on a base (ryming iz awsum keeds! 8-) ) to keep the spinning to a minimum and the cable from getting coiled around it.

___ /
    ___/_
    __/___
    _/_____
    /_______
    _______/
    ______/
    _____/
    ___||/
    ____||___
    |________|=====

l.

that was a concern i had thought of.. but that would be easy to fix like you said

Thanks for the patience, I said screw it and tossed the extremely detailed Motherboard and went with the physical dimensions instead.

Here you see the "Plexiglass" model with the components and a matte model to show the general shape, notice the DVD drive slot (i figure when it's not in use, cover it with a filler
    since I didn't label them in the renderer, the key is as follows:

The 2x 6" gyroscopes (spinning in the same direction mind you) are obvious I should hope.
    The green half cubes on top and bottom of the other components are said 120mm fans

the pink drive is the DVD/whatever drive, under which is the blue motherboard, the red HDD, another fan, and the second gyro.

This picture shows them better (ignore the background model outline under the top gyro)

since the general shape of the case wasn't clearly visible with the transparency on, I duplicated it and matted it.

keep in mind I plan to drill some inconspicuous ventilation for this case, and of course the power base, though I'm still debating if I should go with the cord-only option since the base would look like the cause of what's holding it up with this image.

I intend to make a suspension for the components that will fit snug in the case to ensure the Gyroscopes don't conflict with them or the cables.

The Dimensions are 15" high and a rough diameter of 8-9" inches depending on the thickness of the plexi I choose. 1/4 seems like a safe bet for the electric gyro motors though. ^_^

well I'm beat, hitting the sack after my smoke break.

~Peace!

i think the cord would not be to much of a concern... i think that's the only "logical" way to power the machine.
    however i sort of like the idea of 2 gyro's... but a gyro can only stand upright if it has enough inertial momentum, having said that, you would want all the heaviest equipment towards the bottom of the diamond... and since the gyro is going to be one of the heaviest object in the case you would want it as close to the bottom as possible... having said that, this means to gyro you planned to have in the top of the diamond would have to be a little larger and spin faster ( have more inertial momentum) in order to keep the case upright. also 2 isn't always better than one because in this case 2 uses double the power, but i don't think power will be too much of an issue.
    I'm not saying its a bad idea, im just stating the cons because that always seems to be the thing that bites you in the !@# if you know what i mean... 2 gyros may be a little more difficult than one thinks

well, wireless energy induction DID cross my mind, but I'm already stuffing the poor case with gyros, components and the cables to boot. Not to mention the USB wireless display adapter and possible wireless USB ports.

As for the gyroscopes keeping the case upright, according to factual information i've received from some peers, the concept may actually work so long as the gyros are spinning in the same direction, are angled so they spin on the same axis line, and spin at a high enough RPM setting.

True, it seems this may cause the noise from the case to be rather high, but there's only one way to find out. Another idea that came up with the gyros while I researched them (but debunked after further speculation), was to forego the fans and use the gyros as fans by cutting out blades from the rotors, however the imbalance this causes would ultimately be more than the angular momentum the gyros would allow before the case topples over.

LearnedGuy from the postings suggested I run my design through an FEA (Finite Element Analysis) Tool, such as SolidWorks to simulate the outcome of my project. I intend to get a copy of it, or something similar, when I get off work in an hour and I'll let you know the results when I get them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information