Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #300 - ION Mod Idea by DSS

#300 - ION Mod Idea by DSS

And it won because it was a good idea.
    I have to disagree there. From a design perspective, this concept is little more than, "Let's try to make a computer look like this."

Case modding to put parts into an unlikely configuration is creativity for the sake of creativity. Yeah, it's a lot about identity etc etc, with CS case badges and lots of mods themed for particular software over the years, but case modding has always had two schools. One was to make the case cool. One was to make it more functional. Fan holes, elaborate ventilation systems, rounded cables etc etc.

Modders who have functional cases usually like to show off the guts, leading them into cases that are cool as well. One of the coolest cases I ever saw was a piece of sheet metal bent into a tube with a fan welded on one end. It was so extreme functionally that it became cool aesthetically.

A mod that combines both schools of case-modding is in my mind superior to one that has no synthesis. This mod will be one of those. It's arguable, but to me the form here accomplishes nothing beyond its appearance. Form is form. Function is form. Form is without function. That's about what it amounts to.

Obviously these aren't big OC boards and aren't going to be used in [H]ardcore performance systems, but that's no excuse to skimp on functionality of the case. The little tidbits of functionality here are only to overcome the awkwardness of the form. It has character, but that's it.

Can I really think of one of the cases here that has any functionality? Not really. The bonsai tree is a bonsai tree (although I'm very biased to anything JP and naturally like it a lot). The plexicube is a plexicube. The...bookshelf is a bookshelf (whoever picked this probably did so with the intention of raping the design to do something they were after to begin with). The walker pod is a walker pod. About the most functionally unique design is roboduck's, but it and the walker have a lot of overlap.

So no, it's not a good design. It's cool, but it's one-sided, purely from the aesthetic side of case-modding. I challenge the modder to give it some features to flex the functionality of the ion platform.

Just let it be, its a case mod contest, which directly translate to who has the coolest box. no reason to discuss why any of the 5 winners where chosen at least not in here.

yes it was a design contest, yes we are all entitled to our opinion. but as Abe Lincoln has said
    “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Good luck Geno, and congrats to DSS

Just let it be, its a case mod contest, which directly translate to who has the coolest box. no reason to discuss why any of the 5 winners where chosen at least not in here.

yes it was a design contest, yes we are all entitled to our opinion. but as Abe Lincoln has said
    “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Nicely said...

From the list of 30 the final five were picked by the Modders and one else. They choose them for THEIR own reasons and well I think you will be widely surprised as to what they will come up with. Plus you have to remember that the second part of this contest is just starting and if you think that ANY of these guys are just going to take it easy on the mods, well you better re-think it. They are now battling to be labeled the BEST Modder. I do not no of any other competition like this to be done before in the USA and I personally am glad I am not in this one as it is going to be on Hell of a battle!

Well Geno, it looks like we'll both be making a Portal turret. (even though I was first :P )

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/445087-project-asec-turret-deadline-jan-15th.html

Only thing for me is that my mod doesn't have to be done until January. May the best man prevail!

Hopefully you will post you worklog here:-)

I'll build my case if you guys pay for it.

Well Geno, it looks like we'll both be making a Portal turret. (even though I was first :P )

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/445087-project-asec-turret-deadline-jan-15th.html

Only thing for me is that my mod doesn't have to be done until January. May the best man prevail!
    Looks like your off to a good start. Your VERY lucky to have till January though...because of being limited to six weeks I am going to have to go very simple on this one.

How about "may we BOTH prevail"?

Let me know if I can help you out in any way with your project.

Not to to sound like a sore loser or troll, but I feel that this mod goes against the judging criteria. Note that I say nothing about it breaking the rules because I feel that it didn't. Please please correct me if I am wrong on anything, as I want to be happy for this person that made it to the top 5.

I gave it quite a bit of thought and feel that I should talk about it. Let's take a look at the judging criteria as quoted directly from the NVIDIA site:

Final mods will be judged and ranked using 3 factors:
    1. Overall design (10 points)
    2. Creativity (10 points)
    3. Reflection of ION features (10 points)

So if I were to judge this, I would have come up with a 15/30. Why? Well let us consider the first factor, "Overall Design." This design is that of a Valve modeler, and thus the person is being awarded design points for another's work. Now this would have been negated had he made that picture himself, showing the proper port placement and layout. That is not the case and the link to that picture is http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/50823_1.jpg (for reference). In other words, he did not make that picture but it is still being judged and graded as if he did.

Without question, this takes away from creativity even more than it would have if he had made the picture himself (which is all or nothing really). It's not very creative to find a picture, link it from a game website, throw in written port locations, and call it your idea for a case mod. The only creativity I see here is the placement of the ports that were only mentioned in the description, so 5 points for that. He does get a 10/10 for ION features though, because those turret things are small.

So based on all of this, I am rather surprised it (and a few other Top 30 mods) made it as far as they did as opposed to fresh and original ideas. I never read or heard of the grading criteria being as "liberal" as it appears to be.

TL;DR : A Design not of his own (in terms of linked off site, not redone to reflect his idea's.) : 0 overall design points. Creativity (Got points for writing the placement, but looses other half because of no visualization.) : 5 points. I don't feel this mod was judged rightfully along all the others I have seen. Had the image been recreated as his own, I think it's place would have been a justified but as it stands, a googled image in the Top 5 points out questionable judgment and adherence to the judging criteria.

My 2 cents.

Or be thought a sore loser I think that label comes for free when criticizing a winner, but I'm not exactly running for president out here either.

I haven't looked at case mods in years. Not since t-bird days. The last case mod I did:

Simple. I had to put a computer in a room with uncontrolled access. I made the vents look cool for kicks =) Facing a wall. Poor box monster. This was a $2 example in functional coolness.

Case mods can be more than just decorations.

To be honest I agree with CMDReservoir... this was a really free flow contest, rather than a professionally organized one. I really have no idea what the ideas are being judged by, but it most certainly is not based on the rubric that everyone read in the rules of the nVidia website and this website. People who have fleshed out their own original concept and have worked hard to display their vision and idea don't seem to be getting their fair share. The fact that this mod was chosen most certainly does show questionable judging.

oZEPPELINo's mod was another one I was surprised about. As cool looking as it is, it really displayed no concept whatsoever, didn't explain what this design is, what it means, why it fits the concept of the ION. Titon says that he chose it for many reasons... and he says that oZEPPELINo's design has some very strong points that will help with the "Green" and strengths of the ION platform, but those reasons seem to be based on concepts he made up in his head as he saw the submission, rather than based on what the user submitted and what his concept was. From what I am seeing, Titon made up his own concept rather than judging the submissions based on what the user submitted.

I'm not being a sore loser, I am very proud of my work so no reason to get upset, but doubts did come to my mind as I saw these questionable decisions made by the judges.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information