Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #300 - ION Mod Idea by DSS

#300 - ION Mod Idea by DSS

To be honest, I'm surprised a few of these mods went to the top five. However, this contest is based on what the modder feels he can display the best to augment the features of the Ion platform. In that sense, I take more of a 'wait and see' approach.

You never know, the modders are using this as a springboard for their mods, and they might come up with something that makes your jaw drop and your heart flutter. The players made the ideas, the devs picked the top 30 choices, and then the modders themselves picked the top 5, so this competition is so far sticking directly to the rules of the competition. If they don't do a good mod in the various categories, they will be penalized, but it was their decision on what to do.

I was proud to make the top 30, and I'm not the least surprised I didn't make the top 5. The people who got here did so by their ingenuity, and lets hold back the doubt until the worklog is well underway, then work constructively (as CMDRReservoir did) to help the modder in any way we can. In either case, let this be a clean fight (waits with baited breath for the worklogs to start).

- Kraz

Sanded

And it won because it was a good idea.
    I have to disagree there. From a design perspective, this concept is little more than, "Let's try to make a computer look like this."

Case modding to put parts into an unlikely configuration is creativity for the sake of creativity. Yeah, it's a lot about identity etc etc, with CS case badges and lots of mods themed for particular software over the years, but case modding has always had two schools. One was to make the case cool. One was to make it more functional. Fan holes, elaborate ventilation systems, rounded cables etc etc.

Modders who have functional cases usually like to show off the guts, leading them into cases that are cool as well. One of the coolest cases I ever saw was a piece of sheet metal bent into a tube with a fan welded on one end. It was so extreme functionally that it became cool aesthetically.

A mod that combines both schools of case-modding is in my mind superior to one that has no synthesis. This mod will be one of those. It's arguable, but to me the form here accomplishes nothing beyond its appearance. Form is form. Function is form. Form is without function. That's about what it amounts to.

Obviously these aren't big OC boards and aren't going to be used in [H]ardcore performance systems, but that's no excuse to skimp on functionality of the case. The little tidbits of functionality here are only to overcome the awkwardness of the form. It has character, but that's it.

Can I really think of one of the cases here that has any functionality? Not really. The bonsai tree is a bonsai tree (although I'm very biased to anything JP and naturally like it a lot). The plexicube is a plexicube. The...bookshelf is a bookshelf (whoever picked this probably did so with the intention of raping the design to do something they were after to begin with). The walker pod is a walker pod. About the most functionally unique design is roboduck's, but it and the walker have a lot of overlap.

So no, it's not a good design. It's cool, but it's one-sided, purely from the aesthetic side of case-modding. I challenge the modder to give it some features to flex the functionality of the ion platform.
    If you are such an expert on case modding, why are you not one of the professionals chosen for the contest?

as for the other complaining about this choice and saying there is no design work or creativity: I know Geno is drawing the entire thing up himself before doing any fabrication. Just seeing a picture of something and actually making it are two TOTALLY different things. Geno can hit ALL the required scoring categories as can any of the top 2 design choices. I think people should just step back and let the contest takes its course so we have results to judge. then fire of the critiques.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit F:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    With minimal elbow grease, I can probably make a node setup in blender that will in fact procedurally generate variations of Zep's design and these famous works of architecture using nothing more than noise textures and scaling/translation factors applied to some basic geometry.

Oh well......always takes a little luck to get luck.

What this contest demonstrates is something that is 100% true all of the time: If you want to see something really cool (to you at least) materialize, you have to make it happen yourself :mrgreen:

Sanded

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit F:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    With minimal elbow grease, I can probably make a node setup in blender that will in fact procedurally generate variations of Zep's design and these famous works of architecture using nothing more than noise textures and scaling/translation factors applied to some basic geometry.

Oh well......always takes a little luck to get luck.

What this contest demonstrates is something that is 100% true all of the time: If you want to see something really cool (to you at least) materialize, you have to make it happen yourself :mrgreen:
    how about you do instead of typing? Fortunately, I can produce mods/cons and type at the same time.

If you are such an expert on case modding, why are you not one of the professionals chosen for the contest?
    Because life isn't fair?
    Because I have professional 3D modeling work I need to be doing right now?
    Because of quantum disruptions during the big bang?
    Because they are and I am not?

Sanded

Because life isn't fair?
    Because I have professional 3D modeling work I need to be doing right now?
    Because of quantum disruptions during the big bang?
    Because they are and I am not?
    I think all the pro-modders have other jobs . . .

Any official words from BoxGods about this?

box godss isent going to be here any more other then to talk to the idea guy.. hes got ALOT of work to do and only 60 days to do it.

and simply put.... these moders have won awards.. they are good at what they do.. and they have their own reasons for chosing what hey did.. weather the rest of the world likes it or not..

in the end.. its not them that decides.. its the magazine and nvidia that decides what is best to represent the idea that is ION... and i can GAURENTEE that all 5 of them are going to bust their balls till they come out with something that is considered a worthy entry into the contest.

there will be other contests.... and no.. not everyone can win. even if on some aspects of the top 5. the top 30.. and all the others.. there were some i felt should have been disqualified for being so far opposite as to the "theme" of the contest was.. but were kept in. but thats life... it moves on.. and good things come of it.

the ONLY time anyone here should be REALLY upset is if when he contest is over with.. one of the mods goes limp and makes something found in walmarts e machiene department :P

as for the "contest rules" they cant be broken.. and they wont be... the contest on the forums here was to allow the mods to decide what THEY wanted to build.. and theres NO rules for that. its their mind.. they like what they like. now THEY have to adhere THIER building to the contests theme.. or greatly risk losing the contest.
    so give them support.. NOT your hate.

you want your computer built that badly.. build it yourself.. or pay someone to make it.

The thing is, I was sure I read this contest was about us the concept makers. If the modders are just choosing submissions based on what they think looks cool or what they can make out of it, rather than based out of what the participants have thought out and what the participants have made out of it, than the contest is really for the modders, not for us. I mean, sure, the top 5 do get their prizes and what not, but it really isn't fair to the participants who worked hard on their submissions to match what the rules asked for to see a submission get in just based on how cool it looks, rather than based on the whole concept that the participant designed with his or her own mind, creativity, and originality. I'm not trying to hate on anybody, I'm just saying, it's a little confusing and questionable how everything played out at times. It was especially demeaning to find out that the top 5 had already been contacted beforehand... if that's how things are going to be... than at least let us clearly know, because it is unfair that the other 25 people are egearly and restlessly awaiting results while the top 5 dance around the forums without worries. But whatever the case (no pun intended), what happened is what happened, and whatever, this contest is not going to make my future. I got decades of life ahead of me and I will be very successful in stuff that are important.

you want your computer built that badly.. build it yourself.. or pay someone to make it.
    Not everyone can afford to.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information