Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 General Discussion.

Top 5 General Discussion.

Whenever the modders come out and say, "the scoring system applies to the FINAL designs, not the top 30 submissions or top 5 submissions," and it turns out that it was stated clearly in the rules that there was indeed a scoring system for each phase, this face is displayed:
    It has only been stated that the final mods would be scored (given values for specific categories). So please show me this scoring system (a system of classifying according to quality or merit or amount) that you see clearly in the rules for each phase.

Oh noz! Frame 23! Lets see if I can pull off an Ion design submission in the time it takes this render to finish.

Ion Submission: End of the Biters
    I'm sorry, but the entry period for this phase of the contest has ended.......

:P

Yes,it all sounds reasonable but while looking at this it all seems unfair again.Thanks Americanfreak for your sensible words.
    I do believe your was in my original top 40 or so list.

Everything I have stated is true and from the heart. Did we mess up in some ways, sure, but you learn that way and I am sorry that it may have effect some.

There are so many other topics in the forums and I think that everyones time and expertize could be better used there as we have quite a few people looking for help. :wink:

Now that I have gotten my point across, I would personally like to make some constructive suggestions as to how this contest could have been improved. Let me also point out that I had an absolute blast creating my idea for this contest and I am eagerly awaiting the next one that involves the community like this.

Judging : It's no secret that I and others didn't like this aspect of the contest. The second page has all my arguments in case you missed it. Anyways, this is what I feel could be improved and would like to see added :

* The judging criteria was followed way too loosely and took some unexpected liberties. One thing that would make me happier would be a little more adherence to the beaten path that is judging criteria. I would like to see the criteria expanded upon more and clearly stated to the community as to know exactly what the judges are looking for, not just the point values that apparently only apply towards the final built product. What are the judges going to look for to decide the Top 30? The Top 5? Answer these questions and I am sure everybody will be put on the right track. Additional values I had in mind were:

- Originality
    - Construction Feasibility

* I feel that the Top 30, and especially the Top 5 should have a mini-critique from the judges posted in them. It needn't be more than a few sentences but I'm sure everybody wants to know what the judges liked, and what they didn't like. Now I understand that time is an issue for all of the judges and contest people, but I think that if this is possible, it would be a nice addition to the judging area and make things a bit more clear.

Over All Contest
    : So the over all contest was awesome and hey, I've got something nice to put on my resume. I also think that more contests like this will give modders and companies better ideas while giving out some awesome prizes to the community. It's a win/win as far as I am concerned. But here are some aspects I would like to see added just to make the contest a little bit more interactive over time.

* Going more into the critique area, I think that the Top 5 (Not Top 30 because that would be a little much. Or maybe. Whatever you want) should be presented an honest critique and be given a certain amount of time to refine their models based off the judged scores and critiques. I feel this would take a huge edge off of the tension but at the same time, build anticipation amongst the community with everybody wondering how the people are going to try and shape up their models. I personally would have loved to see what DSS could have done to expand upon his submission, or better yet, try and get cheapskate to refine his model with less screws to hold it in place. Heck, maybe have the bonsai tree near death or put some grass on it!

The list goes on but basically what I am getting at is that I think that some additional challenges for the finalists and semi-finalists would be a great addition and keep the contest feeling a little more energetic and alive.

* I also would be interested to know what the final cost of these mods is going to be. I want to know what materials are cheap but effective, what materials are more expensive but lustrous, all that stuff. I think that this would aid myself and others in future contests so we could plan our budget around materials a bit.

These are just suggestions and I know that we can't do everything I want, but that's why they are called suggestions :wink:

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.

Nobody knows my sorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd like to confirm to the observant that this is a colt 45.....or maybe like a colt 6...

error.. im so shocked you and your what.. 5 accounts now havent been banned by now.

a few things that -=I=- feel the need to state.. though with all this reading i doubt all the ones that NEED to read what im about to say.. will likly be the ones that wont last this far in the thread to actually take the time to READ it.. but.. here it goes any ways.

Firstly..99% of the people here are NOT whining.
    Some basic whiner doesent take 800+ words to pour out thier true deepest thoughts on how things are going.. just to be toe tagged as a basic "whiner" though for the time being.. our family IS being graced by at least one.

Secondly... we are not asshats..
    Read through ALL of the top 5 picked.. and we ALL have given our congrats to all the winners.. and would all LOVE to see these computers come to life in some shape or form as they are all great computer designs.

Thirdly... We are NOT calling the nods stupid.
    We know a great deal of materials.. planning and effort as well as devotion and money go into making a computer come to life from scratch.. and we are NOT directly.. or indirectly attacking ANY of the modders skills NOR capabilities when it comes to bringing these top 5 for any other comptuer to life for that matter.

Fourthly.. This is a forum.. about DISCUSSIONS!
    What is the point of a forrum if nothing is EVER discussed.. both the good AND the bad.. the highs and the lows.. and with this being the first contest of this type here.. NOBODY will ever learn anything to further improve it all if all angles arent dealt with and discussed in some shape or form.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now that that is out of the way..

ill say that i agree with about 90% of this thread and the things said within it... and while there are a few rotten eggs starting to crack open.. for the most part i must admit i am very proud of the people here.. and am glad to see that this forum.. unlike so many others.. is actually NOT dominated by heckling 14 year olds with thier daddys credit cards at hand.

For the most part all the discusions here have been well thought out.. with points and facts driven on both sides.. and while errors have been made on both the parts of the admins.. and the regular members themselvs twards each other and of the contest.. ill be honest and state that it could have been greatly planned better but it also could have been a great deal worse.

i will admit that to me.. a few of the top 5 and even the top 30.. didnt IMO fit the "theme" of what ion was to represent.. but as was stated.. small.. and low power left a great deal of interpretaion.. and it seem that mayhaps none of us were really on the same page with just HOW the rules were laid out.. and how the contest was supposed to play out.
    and from what i can tell .. the two main contributions from all the things going wrong that happened during the length of this contest were.. it comes down to two simple problems..

•Theme/rules
    part of the contest stated dream pc... other part stated build a pc focusing on the KEY features of ion.
    a unified agreeance between all involved must be achieved and stated CLEARLY to what the POINT of the contest must be to guide and focus those willing to adhere to the rules.

•Time.... there was clearly NOT enough time given for such a complex and multi staged event to be held..
    between the lack of expectations and planning.. to the execution.. each stage and substage was not given enough time to alow detailed thought to come to pass and in the end forced a great deal of everyone just rushing to get things done as soon as possible.

i am extreemly gratefull to the admins for admitting that this is the first time they have done such a venture.. and they are willing to read the things posted here.. take the info into account.. and hopefully next time.. improve on things considerably.

Im am very much enjoying my time here at the forums.. and hope that others are well.. and am looking foreward to contributing what lil my no skill butt can to this community.

this is a FIRST time event.. and though in ANY contest.. nobody is going to be 100% happy with the results.. we have the oppertunity to share our experiences.. and IMPROVE the forum and further contests down the road... just DONT fight each other... ALMOST everyone here is giving great valid points.. and as a whole ARE giving constructive critisims.. just remember.. constructive critisism is more often negative then it is positive in the eyes of the reciever.. simply because critisism demands change.. change away from the creators first line of thought.. and deep down seems to incite that your creation is in some way.. flawed... or not good enough. this simply isent the case.

through the ashes comes new life.. through destruction comes the oppertunity of construction.. and i do hope that this forum will host a great deal many more contests in the future.

and while i cant ask everyone here to agree on everything.. or love each other.. i DO ask that you respect each other. help this community to grow.. and remember no smoking in public areas.

Sanded

Now that I have gotten my point across, I would personally like to make some constructive suggestions as to how this contest could have been improved. Let me also point out that I had an absolute blast creating my idea for this contest and I am eagerly awaiting the next one that involves the community like this.

Judging : It's no secret that I and others didn't like this aspect of the contest. The second page has all my arguments in case you missed it. Anyways, this is what I feel could be improved and would like to see added :

* The judging criteria was followed way too loosely and took some unexpected liberties. One thing that would make me happier would be a little more adherence to the beaten path that is judging criteria. I would like to see the criteria expanded upon more and clearly stated to the community as to know exactly what the judges are looking for, not just the point values that apparently only apply towards the final built product. What are the judges going to look for to decide the Top 30? The Top 5? Answer these questions and I am sure everybody will be put on the right track. Additional values I had in mind were:

- Originality
    - Construction Feasibility

* I feel that the Top 30, and especially the Top 5 should have a mini-critique from the judges posted in them. It needn't be more than a few sentences but I'm sure everybody wants to know what the judges liked, and what they didn't like. Now I understand that time is an issue for all of the judges and contest people, but I think that if this is possible, it would be a nice addition to the judging area and make things a bit more clear.

Over All Contest
    : So the over all contest was awesome and hey, I've got something nice to put on my resume. I also think that more contests like this will give modders and companies better ideas while giving out some awesome prizes to the community. It's a win/win as far as I am concerned. But here are some aspects I would like to see added just to make the contest a little bit more interactive over time.

* Going more into the critique area, I think that the Top 5 (Not Top 30 because that would be a little much. Or maybe. Whatever you want) should be presented an honest critique and be given a certain amount of time to refine their models based off the judged scores and critiques. I feel this would take a huge edge off of the tension but at the same time, build anticipation amongst the community with everybody wondering how the people are going to try and shape up their models. I personally would have loved to see what DSS could have done to expand upon his submission, or better yet, try and get cheapskate to refine his model with less screws to hold it in place. Heck, maybe have the bonsai tree near death or put some grass on it!

The list goes on but basically what I am getting at is that I think that some additional challenges for the finalists and semi-finalists would be a great addition and keep the contest feeling a little more energetic and alive.

* I also would be interested to know what the final cost of these mods is going to be. I want to know what materials are cheap but effective, what materials are more expensive but lustrous, all that stuff. I think that this would aid myself and others in future contests so we could plan our budget around materials a bit.

These are just suggestions and I know that we can't do everything I want, but that's why they are called suggestions :wink:
    great suggestions! it is amazing how keeping things positive can keep things positive. sorry if i got on you (been busting my rear in the gym REALLY hard which is making my patience short . . . .also was just diagnosed as low thyroid which really adds insult to injury).

Thanks guys and notes are being taken. I do want to make sure that the next one goes much better!

I looked at the top banner like boxgods said and it says Win the pc of your dreams, I guess it wouldn't have to be original, it could of been what ever the person wanted it to be. After reading the contest rules more closely and taking in what others had to say, this contest is pretty fair. I think people were just angry for not winning and it will eventually blow over. There were some things that needed improving. This contest will only make the next one better. Good luck to the top 5.

I looked at the top banner like boxgods said and it says Win the pc of your dreams, I guess it wouldn't have to be original, it could of been what ever the person wanted it to be. After reading the contest rules more closely and taking in what others had to say, this contest is pretty fair. I think people were just angry for not winning and it will eventually blow over. There were some things that needed improving. This contest will only make the next one better. Good luck to the top 5.
    It's of course going to blow over. I don't think anyone ever sets out at the end of a competition to change the outcome.

Some people might honestly try to be "getting ahead" so much that they're willing to go with the flow and then later start whining because it's their last hope of victory.

But some people also really want to do their best, and good competitions bring out the best. As long as things are going in a good direction, it keeps that drive alive. Months ago this case modding competition wasn't here, so things are definitely moving forward.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information