Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Case Modding Competition Series in the USA

Case Modding Competition Series in the USA

Hey welcome back thechoozen and please stick around and show us some more of the mods you make.

I think that thechoozen and sh4rkbyt3 have hit "the nail on the head"...

sh4rkbyt3..."If you've been to Europe and the UK, one thing you'll notice is an old tradition we used to share here in the U.S. many years back called community."... I think we have become a bit to fragmented and are in the ME generation.

thechoozen (I think this is the most important thing we have forgotten with case modding or the idea of an event) "here in germany there are no prices beside the fame we all do this just for the fun (no offense) to meet each other on a cool event and have some nice days." wow, imagine that...

That is why I do what I do, because I like it! We run a website about modding, promote case modding, have traveled to events and paid for it ourselves just to compete but to mostly meet and greet people we have online connections with.

So why must there be some sort of giant prize for everyone to have some fun? OK, so you have a $50,000 prize so what are you going to get. You are going to get people that will do it just for the $ and not because they like to do it or for the fun. They will have 5-10k to toss at making a super cool case mod, but that is not the point. The point is about having fun and get to meet and know others plus learn a few things from each other with the competition as the side event. If you win or place in the top three you get the braggin rights until the next event.

I can see it now...a weekend at a resort with a LAN, maybe some vendors, food and drinks....

we could call it... ModCon

*blink*
    It's so simple, AF.... JEEEZEUS!

Right there!

ok.. first off.. the reason for prizes.... well he contradicted himself.. as fame.. IS a prize. you built and did it for the fame.. THAT was your goal.. your prize.

take away the prizes.. weather it be money.. certificates.. fame.. and take away the competition.. then your left with an art gathering... or crafts fair..

sure.. its great for the community to take the day off and nose about... but your never going to see someone from chicago spend 1000$ in air travel and expenses to attend a small community art expo in sacremento.

and im sorry.. money IS a factor.. as it costs money to
    A.. get people there...
    B.. rent rooms for x ammount of days..
    C.. pay for food..
    D.. rent out the space that the event takes place..
    E.. pay for any fines or permits that are needed.

im not saying people do modding for the money.. i never did... but money is indeed a HUGE factor when configuring these things.. and being corperations cant even afford to spend money on such a low popularity event.. theres not going to really be any private people that can fit the bill either.. as much as i or anyone else here at these forums would love for it to happen.

and the US still has community things going on.. just.. not in the PC modding world.. auto modding on the other hand.. is live and well

and all the lil towns are still alive with thier annual fairs and festivals.

our lil group of 10 or so.. im sorry to say cant as a whole.. manage a large scale event.. not till we get more people here.. and more going on.

as for PCs not having any breakthroughs... and that its technology has stalled..
    yeah.. thats an easy one.. simply because the hardware has far surpased the software.. and its not really needed or profitable for the companies to keep pressing thier limited income in a down economy in furthering hardware that current software isent even CLOSE to utalizing.

i think DFStormbringer +AF you´re both right with what you say

That is why I do what I do, because I like it! We run a website about modding, promote case modding, have traveled to events and paid for it ourselves just to compete but to mostly meet and greet people we have online connections with.

So why must there be some sort of giant prize for everyone to have some fun? OK, so you have a $50,000 prize so what are you going to get. You are going to get people that will do it just for the $ and not because they like to do it or for the fun. They will have 5-10k to toss at making a super cool case mod, but that is not the point. The point is about having fun and get to meet and know others plus learn a few things from each other with the competition as the side event. If you win or place in the top three you get the braggin rights until the next event.

I can see it now...a weekend at a resort with a LAN, maybe some vendors, food and drinks....

ok.. first off.. the reason for prizes.... well he contradicted himself.. as fame.. IS a prize. you built and did it for the fame.. THAT was your goal.. your prize. hehehe you got me
    Sure Fame is a prize. But to get the fame you also need a lot of luck because there are 20 other killer cases in each category which has the same goal....

take away the prizes.. weather it be money.. certificates.. fame.. and take away the competition.. then your left with an art gathering... or crafts fair..
    and that is where the national german championship was held in the last years. This year it was the first year since a long time we attend such a major event like the Gamescom. The last years it was held on a small craft /RC Fair. (its always an evolution)

sure.. its great for the community to take the day off and nose about... but your never going to see someone from chicago spend 1000$ in air travel and expenses to attend a small community art expo in sacremento.

and im sorry.. money IS a factor.. as it costs money to
    A.. get people there...
    B.. rent rooms for x ammount of days..
    C.. pay for food..
    D.. rent out the space that the event takes place..
    E.. pay for any fines or permits that are needed.
    i know what you mean because these are the negative facts which hits everyone of us when we attend an event. But our solutions for that was quiet simple, drive togehter with other modders to share the $ for the travelling, sleep in car or tent , its normally just 1 night with a lot of other people which have the same problem like you....so we always had much fun and less sleep

The $ for the event room is the biggest problem, but if you get in contact with a trade show you will see that they are always interested in side show acts which looks interesting and attract the masses so they are often willed to give away some space for free just to support you and to fill up some empty spaces.

And everything else (trophys etc) what is needed can be organized with 1-2 sponsors (and that must not be a major company)
    I know it sound like a big dream which can not come real...but you must think that people do a lot for their hobby (i kniow 1 guy from china who send his application to come to germany this year just to compete with us....all from his own $), 1 guy from hungary was there and i know that there were applications from around the globe.....

Maybe I'm just thinking to big, when I think of a competition I think BIG Event Lots of prizes ect. Not that I have the talent/skills to be in the top 100 or 1,000 in a high dollar event anyhow.

Yes such events can take place without big prizes, Quakecon is packed every year as an example of a different type of event here in the US that has lots of participants.

Could I attend such an event 5 or 6 states away? Not likely Unemployment has wiped me out, I live paycheck to paycheck even when working. $200 - $500 Travel Expense, another $100 to $300 for rooms, Food Wile There, So your talking $500 to $1000 without the cost of a Mod.

Maybe I'm just thinking to big, when I think of a competition I think BIG Event Lots of prizes ect.
    yeah that could really be the major problem....i think one of the major points is that a competition like that has to evolve over a few years...
    a good example is the GCCM its the 2nd big modding event we have here in germany its always been held within the Games Convention and takes place in Leipzig...year by year the competition gets bigger and better. The Community which organize everything for the GCCM has only one supporter the Fair itself.
    The modding community does all the stuff which has to be done on such an event and the Leipzig Trade Fair Organisation compensate their efforts with free exhibition space during the Games Convention, tickets and everything what is needed to make such an event. (its a win win situation because casemods are always eyecatchers which attract the masses)
    The Trophys for the Winning casemods where handmade by the jury which also judges the cases....so you can see a lot can be done without moving a lot of $ but i think its really a tough job to organize everything

Maybe the makers faire would be a good partner for such an event in the US, i think that could reduce the travelling cost a lot (i think they are in different towns around the US?)

And if you finally managed to make such an event for the first time....you will find sponsors for the second year...

Like a lot of people here say cost and whether there's a substantial prize is definitely a factor. I know, I've always gotten some negative comments about this, but the primary reason I've entered mods into contest is because I thought there would be a possibility I would win something. I've never gotten upset by not winning, but don't see any fun in entering a contest where the winner doesn't really win anything.

For me it's also about timing. If I know a contest is coming up soon that I want to be a part of (again, probably due to whatever the prize is) I'll totally work extra hard to complete something in time. I might even adjust what components I'm using, or perhaps just put extra work into the mod. My very first build was my main computer "The Desk!!!" I built it completely for me, and had absolutely no awareness of "Modding," until months after it was complete. I have been able to take a few good pictures of it and win some stuff, but had I known when I built it I could enter it into contests I probably would have done a few things differently. I really don't mind the rough edges, messy wiring job, and poor paint, but I know now it would be quite embarrassing to stand there as some judges started going over it and taking notes on their clipboards.

Recently I've figured out a way to make sharing my projects with the community fun for myself (my build videos) but the most fun for me has been getting to see and USE my own finished mods. It seems to me the primary debate here is what part of this activity is the most fun (the building, sharing your work, seeing others work, meeting up with people at events, competition without prizes), and what is that fun worth. So I don't really think it's fair to say you should go somewhere and have fun. Perhaps I'd rather spend my money on parts for a new mod. However if there's a chance I could win $10,000...

So win's the next con-test?? :lol: LOL

I would also agree that cost is the main deterrent. But might age also be a factor? Other than a few random adults widespread around the country, most of the computer enthusiasts I know are in college. The problem with this is that not many college students have time or money for modding. Also, assuming that a college student does get together a mod. Would they really dish out 200 bucks to travel to a competition? I personally have a few friends that have done rough mods to their machines, but it was more for function than form.

I had this very same discussion with my friend Paul Capello who was a very big modder in the early scene. We actually did participate in the Maker's Faire in San Mateo a few years ago and it was a pretty good crowd for such a thing. But, at the maker's Faire there are also many folks producing art and technology that far surpassed the "wow factor" than PC mods. We discussed the possibility of hosting our own Mod comp around the same time that the online public vote competitions became popular and the issues we saw making it difficult here have already been mentioned in some fashion. Mostly the problem was geographical like you said. Europe has a very extensive network of trains and getting from one country to the next is faster, easier, and cheaper than cross-country travel in the states. But some other huge differences between the two populations is the emphasis on community like was mentioned, and the appreciation of art. In Europe a much higher percentage of the population engages in artistic endeavors of some sort, and it is far more common for non-artists to at least view and appreciate art than here. In the US, the things that attract attention tend to be more focused on status. The expensive objects make people stop and stare, like they do everywhere but not as much as here. So for us to get modders in the states to spend the money to travel on their own dime and conglomerate somewhere here is a very difficult task because the only people who would care are the modders themselves. Thus finding corporate marketers to help with the costs would be near impossible unless we could show that lots of people would attend and be exposed to their shiny logos pasted all over the place.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information