Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dewayne Americanfreak Worklog High Lane Drifter

Dewayne Americanfreak Worklog High Lane Drifter

Since I am not planning on repainting the wholes case right now I went ahead and taped the back side of the door panel so that I would not scratch it.

Next I grabbed my gloves (safety first), block of wood and drill with a multi step drill bit. The reasons for the block of wood is the you place it on the opposite side of where you want to drill and it give the metal support so that you do not bend the metal. Plus it will keep you from damaging anything with the drill.

OK so the drill is for what? I like to put in what I call "easy holes". The easy holes are there so that if you are using something to cut with that you have a place the you can change directions or start cutting in a different spot.

As you can see I like to put a lot of holes in :-)

Next up I will be using my scroll saw :wink:

Lookin good Dwayne. The SuperBee comment was meant as a joke, not a consideration. I never liked them but they are recognizable immediately.
    Are you going to Mig the tail piece together?

No MIG...remember we are keeping it to the basics with the mods.

Wee here is the point of no return on cutting the design on the side panel. Using one of the holes I drilled I feed the blade through it and I am ready to cut.

You can see the design to start popping out now and it is all done. Like I said making the holes in the panel make it MUCH easier to make the turns and to work in those tight areas.

After cutting it out it is time to clean it up; so out comes the files.

What the heck is this? :-)

Love the flames! Gives me some ideas for a project that has been haunting me for a long long time. Nice work man!

So what was that? It was part of failed metal case that I started to mod many years ago (probably before most of you were born...lol). So staying with the theme of the contest and keep the cost down I will be using it for some metal pieces that I need to make. And what will I be making with it you ask...

So after working out some thoughts and stuff I decided that I will make both side panels open and hinge forward like you see on the Lamborghini.... as close as I can for the budget that we have to work with so it will be rather simple yet rather stylish I think.

What I need to do is make a hinge point or should I say a pivot point. Using just flat pieces would work but A- would not be very strong and with flex or bend. B- wou ld not look good. The best way to make a flat piece of steel stronger is to make bend cor crease in it. I intend to make an open box out of the left over steel case.

Roughly bent and notched to set where i want it. Now I just need to make one for the other side.

That box looks danm fine!
    -=TD

Nice, Lamborghini Fly doors! Now that is way cool! Very original idea as well, I'd love to see that as an on option for some of the aftermarket cases. Double thumbs up!!!
    That coupled with the tail piece should look incredible.

Well sorry for the lllooonnnngggg delay in the worklog but there has been plenty of work going on with the mod and other stuff for the site plus our little trip to Texas for QuakeCon. To say the least it has been pretty hectic

Ok so I made the boxes but now I need to make the part of the pivot I want. So I marked the half box and drilled out two holes, then I took the Dremel and cut straight lines to remove the unwanted metal to make a long slot

I also made some plates for the side panels. Now what cool about this is the panels have a small U-shape to them at the edges and I was able to make the plates fit under the lip. This was VERY exciting to me because that meant that I did not have to make any holes in to the side panels. :mrgreen:

Here I am going to use some "steel putty" to fill in the seam on the half boxes to A) make it look better and B) to help strengthen the box. Plus I am going to use it to hold the pivot pins (bolts) to the small plates I made for the side panels.

You just take a small bit of it...

mix it together with your fingers until it becomes a darker color grey and you are ready to use.

Now to sand them to make them look good.

Here are the pieces ready to test, paint and other stuff....

Next I need to add some tabs to the side panels to hold them up when they are tilted forward.

I took some left over 1 inch wide aluminum flat stock and bent-n-cut to what I wanted.

I need to remove a small section of paint to make sure that I had some bare metal to attach the tab to on the side panel. Out came the good ol' palm sander makes easy work of it.

Just a money update to this point I have spent.... $3.00 on the pieces of metal for the rear wing (but only used one piece)...the other stuff I had, but if I had to put it to budget it would add about $12...

Wow it has been a while. I almost forgot this was going on.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information