Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Craig - Tech-Daddy Worklog - GT Flat

Craig - Tech-Daddy Worklog - GT Flat

So.... in keeping with the rest of this log, I need to show you what all has happened:

The front face placets needed a little something to break up the monotony. I had decided on a flat color scheme, and the Rustoleum Satin Colonial Red worked out perfectly. It was a near perfect match for the ASUS red used on the motherboard and the video cards. Ans the satin coloring proved to be very striking when set against the ass kicking deep black... Mmmmmmm!

Looking over the finish on my black matte plastics. These things are "stealth fighter black" dark... I'm surprised that enough light reflected back to show them to you! They are secksay!

After the red has dried, I started assembling the front panels again, and they went together like a champ! But part of my recognized this as a teaching opportunity, so I went into a bit more detail on the reassembly of metal mesh when dealing with plastics....

Here you can see the foam filter insert with the bottom metal mesh insert that goes into the middle of the frame.

Here you can see that the insertion tabs are far from straight. Freshly painted plastics can bee a beautiful sight until you make a boneheaded move and drag a metal part across them, ruining your prized paint finish you just worked so hard on.

So, to make the insertion of these metal mesh pieces as uninteresting as possible, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and used them like a mini vise to straighten the tbs of each metal screen prior to insertion.

Rest of the parts rebuilt... no scratches or dings! YAY!

Putting them all together to get an idea of the color balance:

The case has these little red frame pieces on the front bezel door, and the red was off just enough to make me need to repaint them:

So, while I removed the trim pieces, I also got the bright idea to remove the door hinges and get those painted to go with the theme....

Then I also grabbed the side panel trim pieces (that were black plastic), and opted to include those as well!

Put the door trim pieces back on, and compare them to the front bezels, and they are now in sync!

Put the whole thing back together again to see how it looks, and I then realized that the inside of the door needed a bath and some paint too!

I disassembled the door again and got the inside of the door painted up to match the rest of the blackness of the case.... much better now!

-=TD

Checking out the front/top/front panel fit of everything, looking good! As you can see from the pictures, the inside of the front door is much more consistant! Yay!

Well.... the holes on my panels need a good meshing,

and I found this plastic mesh sheet in the garage! Gave it a good bath, laid it on a towel and dried it off...

Cut to size:

Used a heat gun to heat the plastic and allow it to be bent to shape:

Yeah.... that looks a lot better!

Inside the case, I needed a flexible way to clean up the cable management in the case. So, on the one port that I am feeding a cable through, I created a black mat that was pre scored to allow the cable into the motherboard area. I used "Contact" brand drawer liner for tool boxes and such. Some place you dont want the contents of a drawer sliding around...

Cut to size and scored the hole with a scissors. I did this by folding the piece in half and cutting the foam with the scissors. This made the cuts symmetrical.

Used some "super tape" around the foam piece:

Then placed it like a patch over the proper hole:

Ran the cable through it:

I liked the results so much that I created another "wall" of the foam liner behind the area of the hard drive cage. This allowed me a little more room to put cables from the motherboard, without them being "seen"

You will see that these two places for the foam added a cleanliness to the cabling and the overall appearance and consistency of the internal area.

-=TD

The paint selection on this build was heavily influenced by the use of flat black painting in the older rods of the 40's and 50's. The red was also a homage to the simplicity of the rat rods. The color of red was used to tie everything into the parts supplied by ASUS and their ROG RAMPAGE GENE III motherboard, as well as the red striping on the ATI 5850 graphics card. Satin Colonial Red was the perfect selection!

The side "scoops" were influenced heavily by the GT40 hood line. After doing my trim pieces, I realized that pulling stripes from the front bezel door across the "scoops" would add confusion. It was not until I sat down looking at the pics, that I realized that Thermaltake cases of another model, actually use the red trim pieces on the door... and that all of my work and effort to make the case look "custom", was actually just a subtle variation on an existing design element. To say that I am a bit embarrassed would be an understatement.

The case looks stock, but the side panels bear out that it is not. Also, the black that is on the case is a much deeper flat black that what was on the case, and the red has shifted a hue or 3, and everything is matte in finish on the outside of the case. All of the reds on the case match the components internally, and the cabling inside is neat and tidy with several hours of thought and execution on the cable routing and configuration. The ATX and PCI-e power lines are sleeved black using a slight of hand trick. these are actually NZXT cable extensions, and the motherboard power leads are hidden in the back area behind the hard drive area (where the foam padded "wall" was put up).

And I call this my "sponsor shot"...

There will be more pics of the entire kit with all of the peripherals showing up in the next day or 3, my pics did not turn out as well as I had hoped.... I want to do them all right with the support they showed us!

-=TD

Nothing nearly as good as Tazz, imho, but it was a different tact that I took as well, which I will explain in my final updates that I am working on.
    Don't sell yourself short (we know your NOT) bud. Mine is by no means perfect. I have seen all four mods, and each of them would have no worries fitting into the Hot-Rod Era. To be 100% honest here, I loved how different each of the builds came out. It's nice to see just how four different individuals can take the same basic parts and create pieces so different, yet still the same in ways. I've had a blast doing this contest, and regardless of who gets the bragging rights. I'm already thinking of the next one.

I know that each of us has had our own individual problems during the builds, we all seemed to overcome them and power through. Good Luck to each of you.

Looking good bro ... love the scoop.

Nice work Craig! Esp your side panel design!

Lovin the side panels majorly! The detail work on the bay covers really adds a bit of class to it as well as the hinges!

Thanks guys! I need to get some good detail pics of the wire management inside the case. I'm rather proud of my solution on that front!

Those panels still have my fingers sore and stiff...

Awesome work , Just saw you in my CPU magizine

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information