Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vic - XcaliburFX Worklog ... BlewByU Hot Rod Case Mod

Vic - XcaliburFX Worklog ... BlewByU

Thanks guys.

LOL @ T-BASS

Well, the blower will be set down into the top of the case to the proper depth of course not just stuck on. As for the wheels, my plan is to have a rolling chassis. I will have to beef up the inside area of the wheel as to hold the weight of the case once fully built. I have an idea of how I wish to do that but it will be trial and error ... hopefully less error. (will be easier to show per example than explain, so when I start that i will share.)

This is a really cool concept. i like how it coming along, especially your use of the wheels and making them functional. any thoughts on using the pipes to move air???

Thanks Swag...

I had considered it, although the pipes in the pic are neither big enough nor function (no -- tube). I have been looking for some short stainless pieces I could cut and bend, but so far all have been way out of scale with the rest of the stuff.

Hmm if only you could chrome PVC .

You can chrome PVC... LOL or at least close to it .

Ok, the party has started and the fun begins.

I dissembled most of the case to experiment with a few ideas and so far so good. No pics of ideas. :wink:

However, I did start on the grill area today. First I cut the old switch panel out, as I personally do not like top mounted power headers etc. The cuts didn't have to be perfect as I will not be using what I cut out, I just had to be careful not to get into the main shape of the piece. Second I cut the tail section (the part that bolted to the chassis top) of the power header off as I have it epoxied in place permanently. Next, I began to fiberglass the hole in. Just a small trick ... I wanted to get as close as possible to the rounded edge that would be needed, so to do this I used aluminum tape across the front bezel with the piece epoxied in. This way I could push from the back side to the desired roundness and fill with fiberglass. I put 3 thin layers of fiberglass on the underside of the cut out, pushed against the aluminum tape to form the round edge.When it was pretty much set, I pulled the aluminum tape off. It worked great .... next I added two layers of fiberglass to the outside of the bezel, over the new fiberglass. This will cure a bit then I will take the old mouse-a-roo sander and take off the high spots if any and then begin to lay on a finish layer of fiberglass. More on that when I get there. For now here are a couple of quick pics of the progress.

Four layers of fiberglass ... 2 underside and 2 top side.

I decided to test fit the piece ... just to make sure it would work how I wanted it to. Oh yeah :wink:

Well, the front bezel is coming along just fine, now to fill the pin/air holes etc. Next, I will fill all the seams on the bezel and the top for a cleaner look. Then I will spray on a guide coat to help finish out the sanding process and smooth things on out. :wink:

thought I might explain a bit about the fiberglass process;
    I started with Dynatron "Dyna-Glass" fiberglass filler (short strand) to get the initial layers for strength. Next, I started using Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly to add the finish coats, as well as to fill pin holes etc. The guide coat I spoke of is simply this; "A thin coat of paint applied to a surface over a sealer or filler to indicate the locations of bumps or imperfections and thereby to serve as a guide for removing them." :wink:

Ok, the top of the bezel is pretty much where I want it to be for now. I also filled in the seams on the bezel. When I get closer to paint time I will spray the guide coat and smooth out any remaining imperfections. Next I will start on the top panel, fill the seams and do any cutting I need. The grill will be a bit later.

Top of bezel looks to be extremely close.

Seams on bezel filled.

Bout time you get some modding done ... Looking good thus far and I like the tape idea. I used some hard foam to fill my pocket. Hope to get some work done tomorrow on mine .

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information