Coolness!

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Ohhhhhhh

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

You are really good at this. 8-)

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Now that's a kill idea!

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Well I was informed today that I was way over do for an update ... My apologies, I've been super busy so get ready I have a load of pics coming. Ok we left off with the Grill...

The next step I started trying to decide what to do with the side panels. I really didn't like how they sunk in. I wish they would stick out. So short of fabing new panels or cutting them and changing them to the way I liked I was either going to have to work with it or blow my budget. Well I couldn't just intentionally blow the budget so I had to figure out something that would work.

I sketched up some side panels to get an idea of what a few ideas would look like. I decided that the budget wasn't going to allow for to much more wood to be purchased. I ended up going with the first option but really liked the last. I might actually revise the mod at a later time to reflect the last side panel option.

First thing, I pulled the mesh covers out of the side panels and laid down some tape to mark my larger vents. Once that was done, the ol Dremel came into play. Actually cutting this on the radius that was bent into the panel was a little fun, but I got the job done.

The next step was to start building the new grills.

Seeing that I am human and I did these cuts by hand. I made sure to mark the vents L and R so I knew which panel they where meant to fit into. Building the grill was time consuming mainly due to having to wait for the glue to dry and I added pieces. I started out with four pieces to line the inner part of the hole in the side panel. Once I had those in place I put the outer lips on to give them a little more strength.

I then started putting in the fins. This was a little harder due to the fact that my big clumsy fingers get in the way. Once I had the fins in, I slipped in a small piece across the back of them to keep them lined up and give them a little more strength. I then did a test fit into the side panel.

I then started priming the wood so it wouldn't soak up all the paint. As you can see in the above pictures, I had to replace one of the fins. As I started priming the parts that center fin decided it wanted to be a little longer than originally intended. It got bowed enough, it just had to come out.

After having them primed, I started shooting on the Gloss Black base for the Chrome affect like the front grill has. While waiting in-between coats of paint, I started working on the nose piece (goes above the door - where the buttons use to be). The first step was to remove the button area and start building it back up.

So to fill the majority of the area I cut a piece of dense foam (stuff flower shops use to stand flowers in) and glued in the opening. I then filled it down enough that I would have plenty of room for some filler to build up. Once I had that ready to go I cut an old bondo spreader and trimmed it to match the curvature of the nose piece. This will allow me to build the filler up in layers while keeping it in a relatively ideal shape. Makes for a lot less sanding .

I started out with 1 layer of fiberglass filler (this shit is tough to sand), and then did the next two layers in regular bondo. I then used a spot putty to fill any small pin holes.

I then did a couple of quick layers of primer and two light layers of paint over it. I wanted to get a decent finish on it so I could give it a quick polish to make sure it was going to have the nice smooth look I want.

More to come .

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Nice work it looks like one piece with not a mark or line anywhere to be found. Speaking of that putty, which I believe you mentioned before, is there any lower cost alternatives? I think the last tube you showed or recommended was like $80 for a small toothpaste tube size?
    It looks like great stuff but a little on the overly pricey side.

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Ok, LOL I got enough shots for another good update .

The side grills after a little Chrome paint.

Next up is the fun part, cutting shit up . Well I get to into my work at times and forget to pick up the camera. But I will break things down as best I can. Thermaltake sent us a Spin-Q CPU cooler to use for the builds. Well I already happened to have one so I thought it would be cool to use them in an unusual way. I was toying with either the thought of air filters sticking out the top or mufflers hanging off the sides. Well the overall size really didn't fit the muffler idea so I opted to go with air filters.

They are fairly tall to start with, the first thing I did was cut the heatpipes and remove the base of the coolers. I then started prying off some of the fins. I wanted to cut the height of the finned section down to about half of what it was originally. After pulling off 13 or 14 of the fins. I removed the fans (is mounted to the fins with three screws) and took the ol Dremel to them.

I cut two mount plates out of some scrap plexi to mount what was left of the Spin-Q's to a couple of gutted 120mm fans. I then opened up the top of the case for the 120mm fan frames.

The next step was to start hacking up the top panel. I started by removing the mesh panels from the top. Guestimated the holes I would need and started trimming it out till I could fit the panel over the fans. I then pulled out some scrap bass wood and cut two pieces to use as filler to hide the recessed area that was originally there. Before starting on applying the body filler I ran tape around the edges to cover the small grooves that where in the top panel so I wouldn't fill them in.

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Nice work it looks like one piece with not a mark or line anywhere to be found. Speaking of that putty, which I believe you mentioned before, is there any lower cost alternatives? I think the last tube you showed or recommended was like $80 for a small toothpaste tube size?
    It looks like great stuff but a little on the overly pricey side.
    Yeah, I've used this stuff a lot over the years. Its not quite that expensive though. What I'm using is 3M's Acrylic Spot Putty. Normally goes for around $20 - $25 around here. I did a quick search and found this.

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

yum-may!

Tony -Tazz's Worklog

Nice bro!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information