Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zads' BeatBox Level 10 GT submission (for real t

Zads' BeatBox Level 10 GT submission (for real t

thats a cool idea but with the driver right below the components would you worry about vibration at all?

thats a cool idea but with the driver right below the components would you worry about vibration at all?
    Yes, certainly it is the main issue with the design-
    I worked as a Mechanical Engineer for some time and I have some solutions that I know I can try.
    The primary would be soft rubber (or even acoustic foam) isolation mounts to the case to reduce vibration of the case and internal components.
    Plenty of foam dampening will likely be added to the interior structure of the case.

Yes, certainly it is the main issue with the design-
    I worked as a Mechanical Engineer for some time and I have some solutions that I know I can try.
    The primary would be soft rubber (or even acoustic foam) isolation mounts to the case to reduce vibration of the case and internal components.
    Plenty of foam dampening will likely be added to the interior structure of the case.
    sounds like a really cool design

Liking the idea of this so far, hopefully ends up getting picked so we can see this get done.

Only thing that i can think of that would be interesting on this would be the possibility of putting sound reactive LED strips on the underbelly of the case to match the final paint design.

I was thinking a car radio in the drive bay.Looks kinda like a bandpass subwoofer to me.My car speakers have springs around the mounting screws.What if the speaker was suspended by a resistance cord and mounted with resistance in position with stud fasteners and springs, then foam around the mount.

car radio in the dash would be a nice touch...question is if the paints going old hotrod or something more current. with the old school paint job you could mount an radio and use the station adjust slider as a fan speed throttle, or with a newer paint style it could have an XM radio or something mounted in the drive bay slots.

I've always been curious about putting car speakers in a PC but... what's the EMF range on a charged 8" Car audio subwoofer? The 2x 5.25" Car audio component speakers look like they're even closer to the processor.... Are you going to include any shielding?
    Haha nope, no shielding planned... I will test it with my old sacrificial hardware first haha

The on-board components (CPU, GPU) shouldn't have any problems with the EM noise.

The only place you might get interference is if your SATA or PATA cables run near those magnets, due to the low frequency noise.
    PATA cables are generally unshielded, and SATA cables have thin foil shielding which is ineffective against the low frequency EM noise that would be generated off the subwoofer, for instance.
    If the cables ran near the subwoofer, it would require braided (stranded wires, looks like cable sleeving but metal) shielding to deal with the low frequency EM noise.
    In this case, the cables are as far away from the speakers/subwoofer as possible.
    The only reason I ask, is I ran into the exact same problem with a different thing. I made a tube tester casemod. As part of the authenticity I ran power through a couple of the old amperage testers which had 2" in diameter magnets in them. When ever the testers activated the computer would fritz out with random errors, blue screens and shutdowns. I verified there were no shorts and all of the problems went away when I removed the magnets. To my fault the magnet was a lot closer than your speakers (about 4-5" away from the processor).

All in all, I love the design and the idea of having an integrated sound system. Good Luck!

car radio in the dash would be a nice touch...question is if the paints going old hotrod or something more current. with the old school paint job you could mount an radio and use the station adjust slider as a fan speed throttle, or with a newer paint style it could have an XM radio or something mounted in the drive bay slots.
    nitrous LED power switch and car amp maybe some blue acrylic dice

sounds like a really cool design
    Thanks!

Liking the idea of this so far, hopefully ends up getting picked so we can see this get done.

Only thing that i can think of that would be interesting on this would be the possibility of putting sound reactive LED strips on the underbelly of the case to match the final paint design.
    Hmm actually now that you mention it, with some simple analog circuitry (I'm actually an Electrical Engineer primarily),
    I could build two sets of sound reactive LED banks- one for the 'underbody' that reacts only to subwoofer hits,
    and one around the top interior of the case that reacts to the midrange..
    Haha might be overkill though on the flashing lights though.

I was thinking a car radio in the drive bay.Looks kinda like a bandpass subwoofer to me.My car speakers have springs around the mounting screws.What if the speaker was suspended by a resistance cord and mounted with resistance in position with stud fasteners and springs, then foam around the mount.
    Actually my idea was to put the single DIN where the 3.5" bay is (that gap is close in dimensions to a DIN socket).
    The 5.25" bay(s) would need to be widened and I think it wouldn't look as clean.
    I modeled one in there initially but I guess my rendering settings got overridden at some point.
    Here's an early model rendering showing its possible location/fitment:

What I might put in the 5.25" bays (assuming a sponsor steps up) is a double din LCD head unit or something I guess.

car radio in the dash would be a nice touch...question is if the paints going old hotrod or something more current. with the old school paint job you could mount an radio and use the station adjust slider as a fan speed throttle...
    Hmm that's a good idea for the analog radio fan control but I don't think it would match the rest of the case theme.
    Maybe part of an actual car climate control panel..? lol

The only reason I ask, is I ran into the exact same problem with a different thing. I made a tube tester casemod. As part of the authenticity I ran power through a couple of the old amperage testers which had 2" in diameter magnets in them. When ever the testers activated the computer would fritz out with random errors, blue screens and shutdowns. I verified there were no shorts and all of the problems went away when I removed the magnets. To my fault the magnet was a lot closer than your speakers (about 4-5" away from the processor).
    All in all, I love the design and the idea of having an integrated sound system. Good Luck!
    Hmm well we'll see how it fares.. you did make me think of one good point though,
    I will probably have to shield the video output area to keep the signals from getting noise in them.
    I'm not really familiar with the tube testers or how much power/EM those older design magnets put out..

nitrous LED power switch and car amp maybe some blue acrylic dice
    Hmm.. maybe I can make the nitrous LED power switch for the audio turn-on..

Thanks for the ideas and compliments guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information